mtbr member

Foul Weather riding shoes / boots.

Hey.

I had my first week of commuting to and from work last week.......quite an adjustment for me in terms of calories needed to be functioning 100% at work and have the energy to get home.
    Man.....was I tired over the weekend though!! the cumulative fatigue built up over the week really hit me hard and the delayed muscle soreness in my legs was quite impressive!!

Right back into it though - I look forward to my commutes each morning, but have to treat it as a commute and not a training ride - a couple of days last week I hammered it on the way in and spent the first hour at work pretty much staring at the wall waiting for my HR to drop -

OK, after an Indian summer here in Auckland the rain has finally come.....I got very wet on Friday night on the way home, which is cool, but am now looking for an all weather riding shoe / boot (clip in).
    In my previous post, some folks mentioned the "Lake" brand of shoe - I have had a look and they seem nice for sure........but was wondering if anyone could recommend some others for comparison??

I'm getting fenders put on today and need to look in to a good water proof jacket as well. The winters here in Auckland do not get that cold, in the depths of July / August it would not reach less then 5 Deg C, so very cold riding is not really an issue......just wet.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers -

I Ride for Donuts
    For your temperature description, GoreTex jacket and pants will be worth every penny in terms of waterproof/breathability. Pricy, but probably worth it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Thanks CommuterBoy.

I have a GoreTex jacket from a very reputable NZ brand, Macpac that is 5 years old and has seen a bit of use all round the world......unfortunately the damn thing is simply not that water proof any longer.....would you expect to get more than 5 yrs out a GoreTex jacket?? I would for the price I paid!

I'm probably not going to bother with pants as i ride year round in Knee warmers at most on the road rig. I'm OK if the bottom half of me gets a bit wet, although good shoes / boots are now on my hit list - My specialized MTB shoes were nothing short of pathetic in keeping my feet dry last week.

I Ride for Donuts
    If you're in knee warmers, I might consider a shoe cover/booty situation rather than something like the Lake's... any shoe is going to let water in at the cuff... nice covers will seal up tight at the ankle and keep the shoe from filling up if you're not covering the ankle area with long waterproof pants.

Also on the gore-tex..yes you'd think it would last longer than that... have you washed it a bunch? look into NikWax or a similar treatment specifically for goretex... that stuff is amazing

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After screwing around with various options...

I use http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31693...

The Shimano Winter Boot can be ridden from say 10 C down to -35 C...

It will keep your feet dry and warm.

Best news is slip it on and ride every morning.

mtbr member
    @CommuterBoy - the jacket hasn't been washed much at all. I'm familiar with the NikWax brand, so I'll try some of that and see how it goes.

Booties / Overshoes sound like the way to go also - any recommendations there?? - I have looked on a few online stores and there seems to be plenty of choice, although the reviews from the customers are not that encouraging.

Thanks for all your help -

mtbr member
    I don't have winter/rain shoes, but I know some have a neoprene cuff with velcro that probably keeps water out as well as booties. I think booties are too warm for 5C, at least the ones I have. I appreciate them in the cold, but they feel bulky and I'm happy to get rid of them when not absolutely necessary. Plus the hole on the bottom for the cleat lets some water in, depending on how well they fit the shoes. My shoes (either 5.10's for the flat pedals or Specialized MTB shoes on the cross bike) just get wet and I dry them out with newspaper and a electric shoe dryer I picked up for $14 and keep at work. If I had a lot of rain like you, but not very cold weather, I would try the Lake MX140's, they have an event waterproof layer but are not insulated. Even though it is "breathable", your feet will be warmer than in a typical summer shoe with mesh etc. I would avoid any of the true winter shoes with thinsulate, etc. in your temps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Those might be the ticket...

Sorry, I have no reccomendations for booties... I'm in the market myself, and I'm running into the same negative reviews. I think they're like fenders... a necessary evil. they are bulky, hard to get on/off, a total pain the butt... but the alternative sucks worse.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    ^^ Those might be the ticket...

Sorry, I have no reccomendations for booties... I'm in the market myself, and I'm running into the same negative reviews. I think they're like fenders... a necessary evil. they are bulky, hard to get on/off, a total pain the butt... but the alternative sucks worse.

Doh the winter riding boot....open your mind.

I got nothin'

Lake MX 140s

I bought these boots at the beginning of winter this year for committing and MTB'g. They have held up great and are easy to get on and off. They area also much lighter weight than other boots. They work well for me down to around 5 C with a wool sock. Below that they work, but the toes begin to get cold. The event fabric is fantastic with great breathability and they are waterproof. These are also generally cheaper than traditional winter boots.

Ok, here is the only negative....at first they hurt my feet. the arch is in an odd place, just behind where it should be. I added some gel heel inserts that I bought at the drug store and now they are very comfortable. Additionally, the closure at the top will let in water during very heavy down pours or if you get into water that is above the top of the shoe of course. You just can't seal that area.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Doh the winter riding boot....open your mind.

Thank you for this informative post.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Thank you for this informative post.

Your welcome

mtbr member
    I have used the PI Typhoon booties - they have a very rugged sole, thick rubber, so they won't wear out quickly like some.

...but they didn't fit over my bulkier hi top MTB shoes, so I got some of the Adidas Climawarms (I got the thicker/warmer vesion) They fit over the bigger shoes, and the velcro makes them a little more adjustable/easier to get on. Used them all last winter & they held up fine...

...switched to flats and 5.10s this winter, making the booties obsolete - dang!. But it was much easier to keep my feet warm without the metal cleat conducting away all the body heat. For super cold days I added a toewarmer packet.

...used the Climawarms with my regular (lowtop) MTB shoes on the cross bike on a few recent weekend rides...they worked, kept my feet warm, but were a little big over the less bulky shoe, the toe would flip up if I walked around too much, esp. in snow.

One Colorful Rider

OK I'll Chime IN

Lake makes Great Product
    I've been riding Lake MXZ300 winter Boots Since 1999 Actually I have 301 now
    Winters can Get Cold and Snowy here. I'm 40 miles Northwest of Chicago.
    I'll ride till about 0 Fahrenheit
    December 24 ride home from work
    Xmas Eve Deer Crossing

I have Lake 140's for Fall and Spring Riding.
    I must have skinny ankles though because the top Velcro strap is to long

I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Winter Shoes.
    I wear them on my Winter Sunday Rides

It's suppose to be spring here now so I wore my
    PearI Izumi X-Alp Seek III WRX Shoes today.
    offers water resistance with breathability

Tonight Riding home it was 33 F and it Snowed all the way home.
    My shoes were wet but my feet were dry and never got cold, Yes I had Wool socks on

mtbr member

Wicked Pics!!

Those are great shots!!

Maximum Respect to be out riding in that weather.

Thanks all for the recommendations on the "Lakes" - Got wet again riding home tonight, so I need to get fenders on the bike, my jacket waterproofed and I think I'll pull the trigger on the new lake shoes also.

I'll report back with an update in due course.

Thanks once again - I appreciate the prompt, informative replies -

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have Northwave Expedition GTX Goretex shoes. They keep my feet dry, but since my socks are exposed between my rain pants and shoes, my ankles are the weak point in my defenses. I will probably have to get some nylon booties, like from Showers Pass. I have used Pearl Izumi neoprene booties with my race bike, but they really aren't waterproof and I don't need any insulation, just water resistance. They are also not so easy to get on and off. For dry and cold conditions I just use toe covers.

One Colorful Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by webtwo
    I have Northwave Expedition GTX Goretex shoes. They keep my feet dry, but since my socks are exposed between my rain pants and shoes, my ankles are the weak point in my defenses. I will probably have to get some nylon booties, like from Showers Pass. I have used Pearl Izumi neoprene booties with my race bike, but they really aren't waterproof and I don't need any insulation, just water resistance. They are also not so easy to get on and off. For dry and cold conditions I just use toe covers.
    Reason Why I don't use Booties.
    My Apparel I put on Every Day on my commutes
    From December to what seems to be the End of March

Short Sleeve Base Layer
    Cannondale Carbon Long Sleeve Base Layer
    22 and Below Wool Jersey in between Long sleeve base Layer and Midweight Jersey
    Mid Weight Long sleeve Jersey
    Fox Storm Jacket {Water & Wind Proof]

Bottom
    Cannondale Fourteen Forty Shorts
    Cannondale Tights
    Weight depends on Temps. Light Weight 30 and Above Mid weight 20 to 30
    20 and Below Pearl Izumi Select Barrier WxB Pants

Feet
    De-feet Blaze Wool Socks
    Lake MXZ301 winter Boots