Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Flat pedals on a road bike?

i am looking to buy a road bike for commuting/fitness and i am looking at the specialized allez, secteur, tricross, sirrus, or maybe like a crosstrail. i dont wanna get clipless, so would i look stupid riding a bike like one of those with the stock plastic pedals? and i would probably ride in like MTB gear (helmet, shorts, maybe gloves). would feel like i would look like a total idiot riding like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

All the roadies will make fun of you ... just put slicks on your mountain bike, then anything goes.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The bike police will take away your bike.

Do the road bikes even come with plastic pedals? I thought they usually still came with the metal-caged resin-bodied pedals with toe clips. I've found toe clips to be the best compromise for me for commuting. I can ride the bike in whatever I happen to be wearing, but the toe clips still help keep my feet well placed. I left flats without clips on one of my road bikes for a while and found it frustrating. However, they were the kind I just described. I think if you want to to flat pedals and no toe clips long-term, bigger flats, like those intended to be used that way on a mountain bike or a BMX, would be the way to go.

Look at some people riding bikes. They almost invariably look like idiots. One just has to say, "To hell with it, I like riding my bike." I guess World Naked Bike Ride is more like an idiot than I'm quite willing to look, but aside from that, I'm not terribly concerned with gradations of looking like an idiot when I ride my bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    With BMX pedals and drop bars, you`ll look like a dork. With toe clips you`ll just look "retro", but then you`ll have to deal with getting your toes in every time you unclip. Personally, I go for BMX pedals and delight in my dorkiness.

If the Crosstrail has a flat bar, you`ll have to find a different way to be dorky because flat pedals wouldn`t look out of place there. In that case, maybe you could raid my wardrobe in order to pull off a reasonable dork impersonation.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ditto, I use pinned platforms rather than toe clips. I've done cages and power grips, but the platforms seem to work the best with the most kinds of footwear. Also don't need to fool with adjusting, just plant and go.

mtbr member
    I have flat pedals on my road bike.

Haters gonna hate.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Go for it.

I was thinking of trying flat BMX pedals for a Tri. Yes I'd get laughed at but that's one less costume change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Flat (stock) pedals on my Tricross. They're not very good pedals (slippery when wet) but they work. Bike police haven't come for me yet.

mtbr member
    go for it
    just use good bmx type pedals with pins..if you already have good mtb shoes like fiveten use them when you can or use any flat sneakers...
    i'm converting my roadbike too(more like a performance hybrid) i dont care about the fashion bike police, i use what works best for me
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

Wanderer
    Completely unacceptable! Unless ... you can pass up the hard core looking people while making motorcycle sounds.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Look at some people riding bikes. They almost invariably look like idiots.
    Quote of the day, right there.

I have a road bike that I ride in MTB Gear fairly regularly. It has MTB clip-in Pedals on it, becuase I don't want to have two clipless systems to mess with. Except right now it's got my kid trailer attached to it, and I wind up riding it down to the park with tennis shoes on, wishing it had flat pedals.

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

jrm
    mtbr member
    Flat pedals make you look like a hypster, Dirty clipless MTB shoes make you look like a cyclist. All the hypsters will try to race and youll drop um like a pair of skinny jeans. YMMV

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I see no problem with that. What else you going to do? Try to ride with no pedals?

weirdo
    CommuterBoy, that picture does NOT count. I was on my way to Krogers, not commuting.
    Recalculating....

~ B A D A S S ~
    Use the pedals that YOU find appropriate for the bike/use. There are no rules about this, only idiots care about such crap anyway. Use what you want.

I'm probably gonna get hanged, drawn and quartered by the übercardinals of bicycle fashion for my next project.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar, the cigarette and vintage bike gave you away...but I didn't know you were into the ladies footwear.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

~ B A D A S S ~
    that helmet is badass though...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

weirdo
    I`m just glad my undies wern`t showing.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Read the rules and draw your own conclusions.

In all seriousness, I ride with BMX platforms for shorter distances on my commuter. Platforms are cheaper and allow you to wear whatever footwear you need at the other end.

For exercise rides and anything over 10 miles, I wear clipless because 1) my knees do better with them and 2) I need every bit of advantage to keep up with my riding partner. Your mileage will vary.

mtbr member
    Flats with pins on everything. Bonus points for Converse All Stars & Levi's.

I have a cheap set of plastic bmx platforms. They work well. On long rides shoe flex becomes a problem so I would need stiffer shoes if I regularly did that

mtbr member
    I use the Shimano with SPD on one side and platform on the other. The platforms are not great, but are completely acceptable for commuting and pedaling around town. I use the same bike for longer rides and it's really great clipping in for that type of riding. Helps make the bike really versatile. I know you're not taking a poll, but of the bikes you listed, I'd go with the Tricross. Cross bikes are great versatile bikes than can do buff xc singletrack and century road rides as well as get you to and from work. I have a cross check and have almost 3000 miles on it since August. So fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride nothing but flats in the winter, and throughout whatever part of spring happens before I swap over to clipless.
    I suggest we all worry less about "the rules", because as long as they're looking at your butt, their complaints about your equipment are irrelevant.

reminded of an old conversation I was drawn into.
    ss-converted spinergy pbo spoked wheels, surly steamroller frame, v-brakes, adn heavy specialized armadillo tires.

me: can I help you?
    zippy-bob: I'm just wondering why you're faster tha me off the line
    Ummm, maybe my wheels weigh less?
    *sneer* no!
    It's probably the tires.
    *sneer* no, definitely not.
    (I'm getting angry now and the light's changing)
    WELL MAYBE I'M JUST STRONGER THAN YOU!
    (swearing under breath at stupid chicken legged dimbulb)

I was on flats that day and I can guarantee you, pedals are not as relevant as leg strength...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Flats with pins on everything. Bonus points for Converse All Stars & Levi's.
    All Stars and Chucks blow in terms of grip, in my experience. Replace with some DCs or Vans, and I'll agree with you.

mtbr member
    Go with Huaraches (tire tread sandals for those not old enough to remember them), ragged hem cutoffs, and any concert t-shirt from the early to mid seventies (bonus points for Jackson Brown or Poco), and you'll be stylin' no matter which bike you decide on.

Check out Crow Cycles or Amazon if you want some very inexpensive flats (sub $20), like the Diamondback alloy flats.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast