Baby Bear is in the house

New question here. Flat "comfort" pedals for commuting?

Anybody here using flat pedals, of the "comfort"/hybrid variety? The kind that are usually spec'd on "city/commuter" style bikes?

Attached are some pics as examples (Wellgo; and the Octopus, spec'd on Cannondale's Bad Boy urban bike).

I'm wondering if they're any good for any real commuting rides. Just because product managers spec them on commuter bikes don't make them automatically viable, so I wanted to know if anybody has any real world usage of these, i.e., if they're actually usable for commuting. 'wondering if they're grippy enough for regular street shoes (sneakers at the very least).

I'm thinking of ditching my standard, BMX-style, pin-removable platform pedals, as my shins have had one too many encounters with them

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

weirdo
    No, I`ve used BMX and quill styles but never the slippery things. You can find them cheap- give it a shot and let us know.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Not sure why block pedals wouldn't work. Might be a little slippery if you try hammering, but I can't say for sure. I use BMX or beartrap pedals myself.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Might be a little slippery if you try hammering,
    That's actually my concern 'cause I do have a few sections of my commute where I have to stand and hammer for a bit. Just wondering if someone has used non-pin pedals successfully for such a move.

Thanks for the input.

Braaaapp!
    I would have to imagine that if it were wet out those would be SLICK!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    That's actually my concern 'cause I do have a few sections of my commute where I have to stand and hammer for a bit. Just wondering if someone has used non-pin pedals successfully for such a move.

Thanks for the input.
    Yeah Adam's right, they would probably be a problem in wet conditions only. Do you have more than one bike? If you have a bad weather commuter like some people you can keep the pin pedals for use on that and use the block pedals in dry conditions? Or you could just practice not doing whatever it is you're doing when you wind up smacking your legs on the pins! I have all sorts of bad riding habits that I need to correct myself.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

I use the old school pedal cages you attach a toe-clip and strap to .... surely y'all remember them - they're excellent for commuting, as you can loosen/tighten the strap depending on footwear. Of course, this is assuming they can still be bought ??? I've no idea...

weirdo
    Have you considered using half clips with pinned pedals? It might defeat the purpose for you, but maybe it would be the ticket.

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    I recently got a Cdale bad boy and didnt get pedals like those, im jealous

jrm
    mtbr member

Clipless

Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel

Thanks for the input.

You cant beat the power input especially when you need it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Through 2008...the USA Bad Boys didn't have those pedals..ONLY C'Dale Europe Bad Boys. Not sure about 2009 models. The point is moot for me, though. I switched to clipless pedals, now every time I try to ride a bike without them (one of my bikes has the 2 way clipless/platform pedals), I curse the entire time and swear I will NEVER ride without clipping in again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    These are great

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10045

platform on one side, spd on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Cino
    These are great

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10045

platform on one side, spd on the other.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I gave up on clipless long ago... (but that's a different story )