mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Flash Flag: Added safety or dangerous to use?

Just curious to see how people feel about using a "Flash flag" type system on their commuters.

Some information from another site is copied here:

Flags
    One very good safety device, widely used all over the world except the U.S., is the flexible shaft reflector that extends out to the side of the bicycle. It has been proven very effective at encouraging vehicles to not come too close to the bicycle, but if a vehicle hits the shaft it will simply bend or break. Flash Flags can be mounted to the seat stay, or to a rear rack (with a rubber insert).

Just got into bike commuting, was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them. I like that they'll buy you some extra clearance along the side, plus they've got a hook to be clipped out of the way if you need to, but do you think it'll just piss motorists off more?

Thought it was an interesting possibility.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Simple, yet genius. I would use one if I commuted.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    let's see more of that lighting system, please
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    I just ordered two so I will let you know. I can do a write-up on the install and what not if there isnt something in the archives here.

I saw one person's blog that complained that they were too dorky, and that he thought it gave motorists a false sense of how close they could cut you.. I/E if they clear the flag they are fine. He said that he had problems with it, but only tried it out for a day and gave up. I also think that he commuted in a much larger city than I have to deal with.

There are documented research studies from England and I believe Sweden or something that show a dramatic reduction in car-bike accidents while using those.

Like I said- I have two on the way now and I can provide more info in the coming weeks.

BTW, it seems that most of these are foreign made and I had a hard time finding them in the states. I ordered mine from this blog I discovered last week:
    http://nollij.blogspot.com/2007/02/f...them_1576.html

And they seem to have an updated reflective stripe and whatnot for night rides. I'll post up more when I get them if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Interesting and I wouldn't be opposed to it. However, I think my rear panniers might block it? Or part of it? They have a white reflective patch on them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Please let us know. But good lord are they ever dorky!