Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Fixie craze good for bicycle awareness,

I moved from the Portland area to a small college town in a rural area, but even in this small town, we are seeing more and more people (mostly students, but quite a few of the older locals as well) riding fixed gear bikes around.

Some of the people I talk to think this is just a passing fad that nothing really good can come from, but I think that kids taking beater old road bikes, stripping them down and riding the crap out of them couldn't be a better example of sustainability. Attitude and public perception could be a little better, but it really does take making something cool to get the masses off their as... couches.

I'm in kind of a flu driven delirium, so if I'm not making any sense, I apologize.

Thoughts?

No-Brakes Cougar
    I agree completely. The more, the merrier even if most of them are hipsters. Now if we can just get them to use their head for something besides somewhere to hang their color-coordinated cycling caps and exercise some common sense. Some examples would include running some kind of brakes on their bikes and using said brakes to come to a complete stop at stop signs. But otherwise, yeah get out of the cage and pedal!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As long as they follow the rules of the road and do not contribute to the negative view of cyclists, more people on bikes is good. I'm a fixed gear rider, not a hipster, but meh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Most of the fixie riders in my area seem to weigh less than 100 lbs, chain smoke American Spirits, and have at least a 12-pack of PBR in their messenger bags at any given time...

mtbr member
    The local laws most likely require all vehicles using the roadways to have a functioning brake.

I for one think the fixie thing will pass. A hipster I work with bought one to ride into work. He now admits wishing he would have gotten a bike he could coast on, and one that would stop.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You can have brakes on a fixed gear... your coworker isn't good at riding. He only wants to coast and have brakes to be lazy.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    your coworker isn't good at riding. He only wants to coast and have brakes to be lazy.
    And you've got two wheels and a seat because you're too lazy to walk or run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    But, at least for the time being... they are riding! And when the craze is over, some of them will have learned that they like riding bicycles and will continue to ride. Not all, but some.

I'm just glad that something in cycling is cool enough to get people noticing and wanting to try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    And you've got two wheels and a seat because you're too lazy to walk or run.
    Walking and running are pedestrian, bicycles are vehicular. Association illogical. Bike instead of drive. Run instead of walk. Mutually exclusive.

mtbr member
    And I found a good new use for fixed speed courier people.....best info for the best cycling shops in a town you don't know. Needed to find a good shop in London that was not a "big brand" in the hopes of locating track pedals. Stopped 5 diff couriers at traffic lights, got 5 simmilr answers, found shop, now I'm happy.

jrm
    mtbr member

Attitude & perception

is why drivers think so lowly of cyclists. Honestly the fixie hipsters dont seem to be helping that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

more riders is better for everyone

young people on bike now = betters, more responsible drivers in the future.

or...a bunch of jerk-offs running stop signs in the future.

weirdo
    Is it good for awareness? I have no idea.

I just hope they don`t grind off the cable stops and RD hangers on ALL the cool old frames (they seem to like doing that). Otherwise, I really don`t care- I`ll take three or more gears and some kind of freewheel mechanism for myself, but if the next guy gets off on fixed hus, that`s fine by me.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Walking and running are pedestrian, bicycles are vehicular. Association illogical. Bike instead of drive. Run instead of walk. Mutually exclusive.
    Sounds nice, but lazy from A to B takes many forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Off the back...
    All are types of movement from one point to another = transportation. Power source varies, as does efficiency of energy conversion into velocity. Bike instead of walk/run/drive/transit/fly. The logic holds.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

weirdo
    As long as the hipster is on his own time, he`s got a right ot be lazy. Who`s paying him to pedal?

In the rear with the beer
    More riders = greater driver awareness = safer roads....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    is why drivers think so lowly of cyclists. Honestly the fixie hipsters dont seem to be helping that.
    Agreed, they often don't.

They don't help with pedestrian's perceptions, either. At least not here (VA Tech / Blacksburg). They go flying through crowded crosswalks, weaving between people and scaring the piss out of them when they are supposed to give them the right of way. Then there is the fool last year that lost control of his brake-less fixie on a hill downtown, and crashed through the plate glass window of a burrito shop.

Of course, it's not often much of an issue, because most of the time I see one of these guys/gals going anywhere with their bike, they are walking it (so they can smoke their hand-rolled cigs). Actually, most of the time (especially if it is slightly wet or cold) they don't even have the bike, just the meticulously rolled up pant leg.

It is ridiculous in NYC. I'm all for bikes in the city (love to do it myself), but some of these messengers need to get taken out for everyone else's sake, and for the good of the cylcing community. They give us a terrible name. My mom (a 67 year old NYC native) got clipped by one or these d-bags last year while crossing the street. He was going the wrong way on a one way street, and she had a green cross signal. Of course, they would probably ride this way regardless of the bike they were riding.

Rant over

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    More riders = greater driver awareness = safer roads....
    For the most part, this is true.

However, reckless riders with attitudes = pissed off drivers/pedestrians = less hospitable roads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    "I still feel that varable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"
    --Henri Desgrange, L'Équipe article of 1902

Thanks to the late Sheldon Brown for this quote.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed3916
    "I still feel that varable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"
    --Henri Desgrange, L'Équipe article of 1902

Thanks to the late Sheldon Brown for this quote.
    if you've looked at the rudimentary mechanical bits they had to deal with back then you'd understand the quote better me thinks... but it's 100 years in the future and i think machining technology has come at least a little ways...

fixies are for unicycles and penny farthings...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think for the guy that invented the Tour de France it was more about the human element than the technology.

"He believed the Tour de France had to be gruelling, to the extent that the perfect race for him would be one that only one rider could finish, because he needed it to inspire, to extend the limits of human achievement. Many of his rules, which now seem arcane, were to that end. He forbade riders to cooperate with each other, banning tactics now taken for granted, such as sharing the pacemaking. He insisted competitors mend their own bicycles and accept no outside help because independence and self-sufficiency were everything to him. For the same reason, he stood out against variable gears long after they had become common elsewhere."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Desgrange

For me commuting fixed, for almost year, it is "about extending the limits of human achievement." As for the hipster, it is what it is. We've all laughed at the joker who goes out and spends thousands on a bike that collects more dust in the garage than on the trail. Granted, if we all had thousands to spend on bikes, we would, it is just that you can have a really nice fixed bike for right around $200 and you might even learn how to maintain your bike. Don't miss the point, riding bicycles is what matters...right?

Frt Range, CO
    I'm am an old fart, just not a hating old fart, I love hipsters on bikes. 30 years ago I rode a fixie with no brake. I never had any trouble locking up the rear wheel. Finally got a frt brake when I moved to Iowa City and got tired of all the work on the big downhills by the river. I had a unique style back then, weren't any of you young once?

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KeylessChuck
    <snip>

I think that kids taking beater old road bikes, stripping them down and riding the crap out of them couldn't be a better example of sustainability.

<snip>

Thoughts?
    When I was living in New York, which is really, really flat, I had a mid-70's road bike that I bought to commute. I guess it'd been collecting dust somewhere for a while before ending up in the second-hand store where I picked it up, because I started breaking components pretty quickly once I started riding. It started as a ten-speed.

Then the front derailleur seized. I threw it out.

Some other stuff happened. I replaced the rear wheel (with another one with a threaded road hub and freewheel.) Then the rear shifting started getting super-finicky.

Too much play in the rear derailleur. I threw it out.

Shift ramps turn out to be the enemy of ghetto singlespeed conversions. So I actually ended up buying a 20t BMX freewheel. (It was one of those cranks with the teeth cut into it, not a separate chainring. So the ratio was 52/20.) They fit a standard road hub. I did start thinking a little about doing a fixed-gear conversion on that bike, but I would have needed a different rear wheel, fixed-gears annoy me by association with hipsters, and I like being able to ratchet, pedal-up, bunnyhop, lay the bike way over in a corner, etc. etc.

But the thing that I noticed after all that work on that bike was that if you take an older, low-performance bike with horizontal dropouts and an at least serviceable frame, throw out most of the drivetrain and repack the bearings, you end up with something fast and fun to ride. Depending on the original parts on the bike, a singlespeed conversion that allows coasting may not even require any new parts - sometimes throwing out the derailleurs and shifters, choosing a gear and shortening the chain is enough.

So yeah - hard to think of a better example of sustainability.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    good point... ghetto SS I understand... removes all the real finicky parts of an old bike (who wants to reach down to the downtube to shift anyway haha) and you've got a good inespensive bike... heck i'm haphazardly looking for a clean older road frame to do something like that with....

but each to their own... there's a guy out on our trail that runs a fixie surly 1x1... kewl bike... but the thoughts of ME riding like that scares the hell outa me lol... i'd kill someone... prob myself...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

let go....

All who appose the hipster subculture and therefore fixed geared riding....let it go.

Ride fixed geared for its simplicity, blissfulness and challenge ("the human element"). Heck, you might even improve your cadence and strengthen leg muscles you didn't even know you had. How many subcultures have come and gone (Mods, Rockers, Hippies, Skinheads, Grunge, etc.)? The remains of bygone subcultures are always changed, modified, and adapted. When the hipster subculture fads, I guarantee at least one, if not many more will continue riding bicycles and commuting (on any and all sorts of bikes). Sustainability at its best.

For now, let go of YOUR bike subculture preferences. Keep your derailleured bike. But, why not open your mind and potential enjoyment of bicycle riding by going out and spending "$200" to convert an old 1960's/70s/80s steel framed road bike to a fixie. After all, we spent that much on minor upgrades for our modern bikes. Enjoy striping and building your baby. Give it a try. Or, should we hid behind our 100 year advanced "machining technology" and let the real men/women of biking of the late 19th century continue to haunt us because, they did what we do now on a road or trail....riding it fixed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great first post 1speedIZallUneed!

In an age where people who don't even race are convinced they "need" a $6500 carbon Trek Fuel or a $7500 carbon Specialized blah blah blah, to get down the trail properly, I found it refreshing when this flood of inexpensive rigid steel singlespeeds came on the market. They opened my eyes to what it really takes to get down a trail.

People recycling old road parts and ripping it up for transportation and fun and fitness and social time? What could be better for the environment? Something like this could even save the souls of some of these overdeveloped, underplanned, sprawling nightmares we call cities that have been built on conspicous consumtion and where you have to drive a Mini Cooper with your Cop Sunglasses on to the nearest Starbucks if you want to get close enough to a gall with a 9" dog in her designer handbag to ask her out for a night of clubbin'.

weirdo
    Fixies are for studmuffins or flatlanders and I don`t belong in either of those categories. Ride what you want, but you aren`t going to sell me on a bike (fixed or free) with one gear. BTW, I don`t spend $200 lightly on minor upgrades.

I'm going to be racing (and not for the first time) my Specialized Hardrock this summer. I don't think it's even had $200 worth of upgrades.

Not that I'd turn down Christoph Sauser's $10k bike if someone offered it to me, mind you.

I think the biggest performance improvements to any bike are making the cockpit fit right for the purpose, maintaining the hubs and bottom bracket, and sticking some fast tires on it. And good pedals for the purpose. And suspension that doesn't bob if it's a mountain bike. A rigid fork would have been an upgrade over the stock fork on my Spesh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I'm am an old fart, just not a hating old fart, I love hipsters on bikes. 30 years ago I rode a fixie with no brake. I never had any trouble locking up the rear wheel. Finally got a frt brake when I moved to Iowa City and got tired of all the work on the big downhills by the river. I had a unique style back then, weren't any of you young once?
    So true!
    I'm riding bikes for a short time now, so this means i'm not allowed to ride fixed?
    Riding bikes is my hobby and so far i have got 5 bikes from freeride to roadracer. Not everyone can be a trendsetter
    *******s among bikers come in every style So you can't blame everything on guys that just started or hipsters.
    Just love the ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speedIZallUneed
    All who appose the hipster subculture and therefore fixed geared riding....let it go.

Ride fixed geared for its simplicity, blissfulness and challenge ("the human element"). Heck, you might even improve your cadence and strengthen leg muscles you didn't even know you had. How many subcultures have come and gone (Mods, Rockers, Hippies, Skinheads, Grunge, etc.)? The remains of bygone subcultures are always changed, modified, and adapted. When the hipster subculture fads, I guarantee at least one, if not many more will continue riding bicycles and commuting (on any and all sorts of bikes). Sustainability at its best.

For now, let go of YOUR bike subculture preferences. Keep your derailleured bike. But, why not open your mind and potential enjoyment of bicycle riding by going out and spending "$200" to convert an old 1960's/70s/80s steel framed road bike to a fixie. After all, we spent that much on minor upgrades for our modern bikes. Enjoy striping and building your baby. Give it a try. Or, should we hid behind our 100 year advanced "machining technology" and let the real men/women of biking of the late 19th century continue to haunt us because, they did what we do now on a road or trail....riding it fixed.
    Spoken like a skinny jeans wearing hipster!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I anticipate joining the fixie movement...but it will be on the new local track (lessons, licensing required). I'm one of those over 45 guys who really appreciates varible gearing. lol I'll probably end up spending close to a grand on my fixie when I finally buy one, but I do appreciate the whole reuse/refab movement in the fixie area. At the end of the day, a bike is a bike...whether is cost thousands of dollars or its a recycle freebie. There are good and bad drivers/riders regardless of their mode or cost of transportation. The more people ride bikes, the more coffin drivers will LEARN to be watchful. Long term view here, I realize.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

skinny jeans stripped off

Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Spoken like a skinny jeans wearing hipster!
    Actually, I wear Birkenstocks and am currently working on finishing my Ph.D. My preferred style is riding/racing XC...on a 29er single speed. (One speed is all you need.)

As for your comment.... It's okay, stay "stuck", pinned in and trapped in your narrow biking world. As for the rest of us who have been able to get past the hipster subculture, we'll be having a blast experimenting with a new way to enjoy getting outside and spending time in the saddle.

Actually, I wear Birkenstocks and am currently working on finishing my Ph.D. My preferred style is riding/racing XC...on a 29er single speed. (One speed is all you need.)

As for your comment.... It's okay, stay "stuck", pinned in and trapped in your narrow biking world. As for the rest of us who have been able to get past the hipster subculture, we'll be having a blast experimenting with a new way to enjoy getting outside and spending time in the saddle.
    One of the things I enjoy about both mountain biking and bikes in general is the diversity of styles and uses. I have too many bikes (see sig.) and they all do different things. While this forum tends to be a bit more diverse in what people are riding and why than the other mtbr forums, the name of the web site alone should tell you that people posting here are going to have a bias, in general, toward performance-oriented off-road bikes. I think that perhaps the point of the skinny jeans comment was that it's a little unfair to join a mountain bike review web site's forums and attack people for liking mountain bikes.

There's also a limit to the extent that older bikes can continue to be maintained and used as utility bikes. I killed a '60s or early '70s bike recently. I damaged a cottered crank, and compatibility issues meant that it was easier to replace the whole bike. The 27" vs. 700c wheel size issue is a problem too - sourcing good quality road tires for a 27" wheel is pretty hard. Want to change the wheels? The 4mm difference in rim size can sometimes be enough that the brakes won't reach. Trying to maintain a bike with smaller than a 700C wheel and less than a 130mm rear dropout spacing can rapidly become more than a $200 project and involve a lot of downtime.

So call me narrowminded if you like. But if hiding behind technology makes me better able to operate my bike in city streets, surrounded by this year's cars, or facilitates me having more fun off-road, sign me up. My oldest bike is from the mid-'80s, I plan never to buy anything older, and all my bikes give me a lot of joy.

I was going to say I don't have room for yet another bike but it occurs to me that with a fixed rear wheel and spare chain, I could ride my LeMond as a fixed-gear and work cadence. Hmm... Less than $200 in parts and reversible in five minutes...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

That's all fine, and I applaud anyone riding a bike. My issue is that, at least around here, most of the "hipsters" are usually pushing their bike, using it more as a fashion accessory, just like the hand-rolled cigarette they have in their other hand, or worse, they are riding them poorly / out of control / through burrito shop windows.

And the pantleg thing just looks plain stupid if you are not on the bike. It would be like me hanging out in my riding shorts when I'm not even riding.

Riding fixed/ss is great for the very reasons you mention. It's the hipster subculture I find rather comical, and occasionally annoying.

ride the moment
    How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

You don't know? Pshhh!
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've got two fixed gear road bikes and 11 other bikes (road, mtn and a variety of vintage bikes) some single speed and some geared. They, like all my other bikes, have their time and place. The fixies, which I use to ride all the time, have become the social bikes/bar hoppers occasionally coming out for hot lapping the local paved bike trails. The mtb is exclusively for mtb'ing and I ride my geared CF/Alu road bike everywhere else (commuting, fitness, social, etc.). I quickly grew sick of showing up to work soaked in sweat and tired from riding the hills to my office on a fix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    That's all fine, and I applaud anyone riding a bike. My issue is that, at least around here, most of the "hipsters" are usually pushing their bike, using it more as a fashion accessory, just like the hand-rolled cigarette they have in their other hand, or worse, they are riding them poorly / out of control / through burrito shop windows.

And the pantleg thing just looks plain stupid if you are not on the bike. It would be like me hanging out in my riding shorts when I'm not even riding.

Riding fixed/ss is great for the very reasons you mention. It's the hipster subculture I find rather comical, and occasionally annoying.
    This is exactly the reason why hipsters are so easy to laugh at. Fixies riders used to be a small minority and have now acheived a critical mass in NYC, especially in Brooklyn. The idiots who lose footing of their pedals coming down the crowded Williamsburg Bridge, the dope who hits the back of a car because he rode without brakes, the skidders, the salmon, etc. You can tell the difference between the losers who the ride (or push) fixies as a fashion statement from the real poor messengers who deliver the packages by the way they ride. Hipsters don't realize that they're being laughed at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Buenos Aires likes it fixed

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    One of the things I enjoy about both mountain biking and bikes in general is the diversity of styles and uses. I have too many bikes (see sig.) and they all do different things. While this forum tends to be a bit more diverse in what people are riding and why than the other mtbr forums, the name of the web site alone should tell you that people posting here are going to have a bias, in general, toward performance-oriented off-road bikes. I think that perhaps the point of the skinny jeans comment was that it's a little unfair to join a mountain bike review web site's forums and attack people for liking mountain bikes.

There's also a limit to the extent that older bikes can continue to be maintained and used as utility bikes. I killed a '60s or early '70s bike recently. I damaged a cottered crank, and compatibility issues meant that it was easier to replace the whole bike. The 27" vs. 700c wheel size issue is a problem too - sourcing good quality road tires for a 27" wheel is pretty hard. Want to change the wheels? The 4mm difference in rim size can sometimes be enough that the brakes won't reach. Trying to maintain a bike with smaller than a 700C wheel and less than a 130mm rear dropout spacing can rapidly become more than a $200 project and involve a lot of downtime.

So call me narrowminded if you like. But if hiding behind technology makes me better able to operate my bike in city streets, surrounded by this year's cars, or facilitates me having more fun off-road, sign me up. My oldest bike is from the mid-'80s, I plan never to buy anything older, and all my bikes give me a lot of joy.

I was going to say I don't have room for yet another bike but it occurs to me that with a fixed rear wheel and spare chain, I could ride my LeMond as a fixed-gear and work cadence. Hmm... Less than $200 in parts and reversible in five minutes...
    AndrwSwitch, Thanks for your post.

I agree with you completely, as with others who have posted. When Ned Overend won the World Championship Cross Country title on the first shock-equipped bike in 1990, my brother and I where tearing it up on our rudimentary ridged mountain bikes in the greater Spokane, Washington area. When Rock Shox came out with the Mag 21 and then the Quadra we realized we were part of a revolution that would forever change the history of biking. Mountain Biking. It's what this website is devoted to. We've all used it countless times to get the latest reviews for our next upgrade. We love the fresh air, wiping through our helmets and nostrils as we plunge down the local single-track crevasse. Do it derailleured, do it on single speed, do it on a 29er, it's all good, because we're biking. That's what matters.

I am a mountain biker first, a bike rider of all sorts second. I've been a little forceful with my posts, because of my own biases. I believe that it’s the act of biking that connects us all. Do it on a fixed, do it on a single speed, and do it on a $7000 road or mountain bike, just get outside and ride. I used to distain the “roadie” in the early 1990s...I was stuck in my new “mountain biking” subculture. Now, I’d love to own a Buenos Aires, Lemond and ride some of the roads Lance Armstrong trains on down here in Austin. I ride trail and road, I enjoy a crusier and a fixie, and I commute to work everyday on a bicycle. Tomorrow, I’m going to play bike polo with the local chapter of The League of Bike Polo (http://www.bikepolo.ca/). A sport people have been enjoying in the saddle since the late 1800s. I suggest we all re-read John R. Stilgoe's Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places. Ride what you want, but don't get deterred or caught up in a subculture.

mtbr member
    I only have an MTB and a fixed gear which I use for all road riding.

So far it has been fun and I love the feel of it. Ever since I began riding it, my MTB riding has become better/stronger.

It doesn't matter if they're a hipster or what, as long as they have a good head on their shoulders and try to promote biking in a positive way, they're ok with me.

Just because someone is not a hipster or riding a geared bike doesn't mean they're right. I have seen some jackass roadies who think they own the road with the crappiest attitudes.

Either way, I don't mind them, and Im always looking for cool people nearby to ride with whether theyre fixed or geared.

I have noticed quite a bit of elitist attitudes within the fixed community though, especially on forums. Don't know why but oh well.

Here's a pic of mine by the way, notice the front brake and lights. I like my bikes to look good but Im not sacrificing my safety to look good. I love to live and want to enjoy many more years of biking.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    May 2007

Recycle

I'm gonna hopefully pass the reuse/refab thing down to grandson with this gem. The steel bike is 13 years old and restored to near mint condition. Spending close to 5 bills for something like this just seemed totally WRONG!

If the kid grows into a fixie person. . .so be it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hail Satin!
    I love the fixie fad, hipsters, douche nozzles, whatever you want to call them. Just means most of us can pick up their bikes for cheap when they are tired of using them as sweater drying racks.
    I got an unbelievable deal (from a guy with frightningly tight jeans and a white belt??) on a langster.
    And no it's not fixed. And I run 180mm cranks with a 48/15 ratio. So none of this lazy talk crap.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    I just saw a good reason to be irritated by the fixie riding hipster movement.

Driving home from a friends house last night I notice the shadow of a silhouette in the oncoming lane. The street was dark, and my headlights could barely illuminate the person at a distance. I was instantly enraged to find out that it was a cyclist:

No headlight
    No tail light
    No reflectors on the entire bike
    No helmet
    No hand signals when turning
    Riding in the CENTER of a lane instead of the shoulder while holding up traffic

Here is the kicker: he was wearing a BROWN sweater, black jeans, a black beanie of some sort and his bike was black.

As he approached a stoplight he launched into the most ridiculous track stand I have ever seen, and nearly smashed head on into a car while looking down and trying to balance himself (which he wasnt very good at). Then he almost lost it a couple times and became so intent on not putting his foot down that he again held up traffic when the light turned green. It was pretty apparent from my perspective that he was trying to be trendy or counter-culture or whatever. He obviously had no clue about bicycle safety (or just plain common sense) and evidently didnt mind making every cyclist on the streets of my city look like an inconsiderate moron with a death wish.

I have no problem with bike fads, but I just wish the people that engage in them would use a little common sense and realize that they represent every cyclist when they are out there. When you have inexperienced, inconsiderate morons on cycles people get hurt and public image suffers for responsible cyclists- not to mention potential new laws and mandates aimed at cyclists.

[/rant off]
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    I just saw a good reason to be irritated by the fixie riding hipster movement...When you have inexperienced, inconsiderate morons on cycles...
    Hmmm, now that you mention it, I've never seen other types of cyclists act like idiots, its just the hipsters on fixies that do it

mtbr member
    Natural selection will take care of him soon.

mtbr member
    no, its not just the hipsters. I have also seen just random cycling idiots around here, but I think most of the trend jumpers are too worried about how they look on the bike to even think about practical things like bright reflective clothing, reflectors, lights, helmets, etc. Its all about image when you are trendy and "dorky" functional things are not part of the gameplan. Think about it- how many hipsters/ trendsters have you seen with a headlight, helmet, or high-viz jacket on?
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    May 2005

Hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    no, its not just the hipsters. I have also seen just random cycling idiots around here, but I think most of the trend jumpers are too worried about how they look on the bike to even think about practical things like bright reflective clothing, reflectors, lights, helmets, etc. Its all about image when you are trendy and "dorky" functional things are not part of the gameplan. Think about it- how many hipsters/igtrendsters have you seen with a headlight, helmet, or high-viz jacket on?

Yea, i agree!
    Wait til they get hit by a car. They will may go over board and wear bright colored atire and light themselves up like a Christmas tree at night.
    I know first hand experience, that is what happened to me anyway.

Not new to singleeding.
    In process of building up once again from spare parts another singlespeed for commuting 48/15 or 16 gear.
    Have a dedicated 13lbs roadbike for fast grouprides 47/13 gear. Would have to run stop signs with that gear but in a group, it was acceptable behavior.
    On my commutes though, i plan to have just enough gear to stop and trackstand at all stop signs/traffic lights and be able to start out without hurting my knees too much!

Like to wear bright colors and show off all me blinkies and reflective stuff now because it catches the eyes of most drivers for awareness that there are cyclist shareing the most right portions of the road out there.

Glad that i am not labled a Hipster even though i only use 1 freewheel gear and 1 brake.

Frt Range, CO
    Is this the guy you hate
    Attached Images Attached Images

No-Brakes Cougar
    Butter face! Where did you find that pic, the "European Male" catalog? Nice bike though.

I see plenty of non-hipster cyclists acting like @sshats as well. Just like motorists and pedestrians. Seems to be a human affliction, right across the board.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    ... the "European Male" catalog?....
    ...not that there's anything wrong with that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast