Thread: Fixie commuter

mtbr member

Fixie commuter

I am just beggining to commute, as no car leaves no choice. But I am embraceing this fully. Mountain bike regularly... So I'm looking and not so familiar with road fixies. I have about a 18 mile commute to work. Winter time I will be taking the bus in bad bad weather. I found a 2005 Fuji Track on craigslist for cheap. Any thoughts? I would really like a "better" bike but cant justify spending a bunch of cash on something I will be putting on front of a bus.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not much can go wrong with fixed gears. Get some good tires and a front brake. Great thing about fixed gears is that they're very, very basic.

Does the rear wheel have a flip-flop option for freewheel? It's nice to coast on a 18 mile ride.

mtbr member
    I don't think it has the flip flop stock... Isn't that something I could maybe add?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    if the hub is threaded on both sides, you're fine.
    if not, it's not something you can add no.
    (if the bike you're looking at has it, it should say "flip-flop" in the add, for factory fixed gears it's becoming ubiquitous)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

weirdo
    Maybe it`s me, but 36 miles per day sounds like an awful lot with a single gear ratio. And if you do decide to torture yourself with a fixie, wouldn`t a FG road bike give you a lot more tire and cargo choices than a track bike?

"I don't think it has the flip flop stock... Isn't that something I could maybe add?"
    I`m not a fixie kinda guy, so I might be wrong, but I think track bikes use 120mm rear spacing- I doubt you could get a flip flop hub that narrow.
    Recalculating....

One Colorful Rider
    Here's are just a couple 120 spacing rear hubs
    All-City Fixed/Free Track Hub
    Paul Paul High Flange Rear 120mm
    Surly New Rear Track Hub Black Fixed/Freewheel

I knew a guy who had a 2005 Fuji Track Bike and the treading on the rear hub was not that good. OEM wheel on bike 500 or lower have loose ball hubs . My option build up a new rear wheel. I ride roughly 5000 miles a year on a fixed gear in a Far Northwest Suburb of Chicago.

just ride