Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008

First time commuting...

... and of course I end up with a mechanical. I picked up a $90 road bike for commuting and training purposes a few weeks ago. On my five mile ride in this morning coming off a drainage grate I hit the pavement a little hard (apparently) and dented the crap out of the rim. After stopping and determining there was little I could do, I continued riding. About 2 miles later the tube explodes like a gunshot. Again I stop, and seeing little I could do I rode the last mile on the flat tire; I figured the rim was already FUBAR, so why not?

Just needed to vent a bit. Other then that the commute when better then I expected. Can't wait to fix this puppy and continue

Cheezy Rider
    That's a classic first commute! I keep getting tempted to put skinny tire on my commuter, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen to me.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Yea, it definitely sucks. I'm currently scouring craigslist for a replacement wheel/parts bike. I rode my old mtb in today (a bit too small for me and with knobbies) and I was wishing for the road tires the whole way in.

Are there skinny road tires out there with a bit more volume to help prevent this sort of damage? I'd need one in 27"....

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    CX tires maybe? or 25c?

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    Yea, it definitely sucks. I'm currently scouring craigslist for a replacement wheel/parts bike. I rode my old mtb in today (a bit too small for me and with knobbies) and I was wishing for the road tires the whole way in.

Are there skinny road tires out there with a bit more volume to help prevent this sort of damage? I'd need one in 27"....
    Universal has a pretty good selection of 27" tires including a few wider sizes. The only 27s I`ve used have been skinny (too skinny for my taste), so I can`t recomend any specifically, but some of these are cheap enough to be worth a risk.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=1745

I was looking for cheap 27" wheels a few months ago and ran into a few new ones for about $100 per pair, but don`t remember where I saw them. If you get whole wheels, I recomend you try very hard to avoid steel rims. Best bet might be to keep scouting out Craigs List for a while like you`re already doing. Good luck with your commute- hope your luck improves.

EDIT: I ended up getting a set of Nashbar brand rims for about $10 each or so and reusing my hubs. I don`t recomend those particular rims- very noodly, even with 36 spokes. Wish I`d kept looking for a wheelset.