Thread: First Commute

mtbr member
    May 2009

First Commute

Today was the first day I commuted to work. 7.5 miles there in a little over 30 minutes, 8.5 miles back in over 45 minutes(stupid hills). Pretty uneventful except the threat of snow. All in all I think I might make this a habit and eventually get a commuter bike the FS bike is not really commuter friendly. Still trying to figure out the next moves to my bike and get some actual gear that will make things a little more enjoyable.

Moderator Moderator
    Sounds great! It doesn't sound like the hills slowed you down too much - my ride home is usually only 3.5 mi instead of 11.5 mi in (help from the bus), but the 3.5 mi uphill trip takes just as long as the 11.5 mi downhill/flat.

weirdo
    Welcome, Ducster! Glad you enjoyed your commute.

mtbr member
    I recently just started commuting again. I was commuting everyday, 11 miles there, 11 miles back for about two years. That bike was unfortunately stolen and it took me about a year before I got another bike. I just picked up the new Salsa Vaya about two weeks ago and have been loving everyday back on the bike. My commute right now is only 1 mile there, 1 mile back. In May it will go up to 3.5 miles there, 3.5 miles back. Welcome to commuting. I get lifted spirits with every single person who takes up bicycle commuting.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

Fat-tired Roadie
    All road, or do you get to sneak in some dirt?

I'm a big fan of traditional road bikes for a road-only commute. If you get to hit trails, of course all bets are off.

How much stuff do you have to take with you? Ever run any errands in addition to your commute?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It is all road but I did notice some state parks that allow biking fairly close to work. I might just have to make a couple detours on some trips. Other than that I would only be on road, currently it is pretty sandy. The mtbr tires are helping with that and I just pumped them up pretty high to try to get them to roll better. I take with me a backpack filled with my change of clothes, shoes, and my lunch/snacks for the day, It weighs quite a bit so I might try to figure out how to keep some shoes or other stuff at work.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Old rigid mountain bike, with a rack, so you can throw your stuff in a pannier and hit the trails some days.

Getting a pannier over a real log-over is hard, though, so you might be stuck with a backpack. Messenger bags are, for me, an improvement, but I think it depends a lot on your riding position.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's actually quite fast. What's your riding environment like? Riding 8.5 mi from downtown San Francisco to the western side takes me about 50 minutes. But there are lots of traffic lights where I have to stop too.