Thread: First bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

First bike

Hi everyone, this is my first post and i was wondering if anyone could give me the low down on the following bike:

Cannondale Bad Boy Fatty Alivio Disc '11=

I'm looking to start cycling to work which is about a daily 8 mile round trip and im wondering if this is going to do the job. there is also the same bike which is cheaper though it has the Tektro 855 -V-Brake and wider tires.. is the disc brakes worth the extra money?

I'm really green to all this and would appreciate some guidance.

regards,

Lee

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's a nice bike for commuting. If you want to save money, there's really nothing wrong with V-brakes. The disc brake advantage is pretty minor. Keep in mind that you will need to buy the following accessories to really make commuting nice:

rear rack
    front and rear blinkie lights
    full coverage fenders (SKS or Planet Bike make nice ones)
    mini U-lock plus small cable
    spare tube, mini-tool, mini pump
    pannier or rack trunk to carry stuff (much better than carrying on your back)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I came really close to buying one of those. It was really a minor reason why I went with the bike I chose over it. I really liked the one with the lefty fork but couldn't afford that model. Either way there's a guy here locally selling a medium, at least a week ago he was.

mtbr member
    If the frame/fork/hubs have disc mount tabs, you could always upgrade later. Cable disc brakes are getting really affordable especially if you find some used ones when someone upgrades to hydraulic.
    But well dialed V brakes and good pads (like Kool Stops or any that are technically for trials) can be better than discs sometimes

weirdo
    Howdy, Menthols.

I`m confused here. There seems to be two bikes on that spec sheet.
    The first has C-Dale fork, (presumably 8-speed) cassette, City-ish gearing, name brand cranks, and 700 x 35 Schwalbe slicks. Sounds like a winner unless you want to ride he trails on it- probably not very well suited for that.
    The second has Suntour fork and cranks, 7-speed freewheel, somewhat unusual gearing, 26 x 2.0 slicks, and Touney drivetrain. Probably a decent package for something, overall, but not as nice as the top one.
    BTW, if you run into the old Japanese Suntour stuff, it`s top notch. Modern S.T. is a whole different critter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

Rodar y rodar: I see what you mean, i think they must have a problem with the webpage, i think the specs for the Bad Boy Fatty Alivio Disc is:

Frame Bad Boy SI classic
    Fork Cannondale Fatty SI V-Brake
    Rims Cannondale C3 black 26”
    Hubs Formula/Shimano RM30
    Spokes/Nipples stainless black/black
    Pedals MTB M-21
    Tires Schwalbe Kojak Bad Boy Edition 700 x 35
    Crank FSA Alphadrive alloy rings black 48/36/26
    Bottom Bracket KMC Z51 black nano finish
    Chain Cartridge black
    RearCogs CS 66 black polish - 11-32
    Front Derailleur Shimano FD-360
    RearDerailleur Shimano Alivio
    Shifters Shimano SL-M360
    Handlebar Cannondale Urban flat black 31.8
    Stem Cannondale C4 black
    Headset Cane Creek black/black chrome
    Brakes Tektro disc
    Brake Levers Cannondale XL95
    Grips Cannondale “Cityscape” black chrome rings
    Saddle Cannondale Stage

As mentioned above, this model comes with 700c tires, where as the Alivio V model comes with 559 x 50's - would the tires make much difference ?

Additionally, the bike I looked at first before seeing the bad boys was the Carrera Subway 8.

Specs:
    Alloy Rims: Yes
    Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    Chainset: Truvativ 5D
    Forks: Chromoly fork
    Frame: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
    Frame Colour: Shiny black
    Frame Material: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
    Frame Size: 19-20
    Front Brake: Shimano BRM-486 hydraulic disc brake 180mm rotor
    Gear Shifters: Shimano SL-S500
    Gears: 1-9
    Handle Bars: Kalloy low rise alloy
    Headset: Semi integrated
    Number of Gears: 8
    Pedals: Wellgo Alloy Black
    Rear Brake: Shimano BRM-486 hydraulic disc brake 160mm rotor
    Rear Pannier Mounts: Yes
    Rims: Mavic XM-317 disc alloy black
    Saddle: Carrera
    Stem: Alloy
    Traditional Mudguard Mounts: Guards Supplied
    Exact Frame Size: 20"

This was quite a bit cheaper at £399

Regards and thanks again,

Lee

weirdo
    Man, where are these guys digging up those crazy specs from? It still says V-brake fork, then lists disc brakes down the line. The Subway 8 says "Gears: 1-9" and then says "Number of gears: 8". Huh? A mystery for sure!

Tires can make a night and day difference. Strange as it sounds, the difference between 26'' and 700c wheels doesn`t matter as much iin my opinion- (note that many people disagree with that opinion). Any rate, as long as it can fit fat tires you can always go skinnier on the next set if you want to, so not a big deal. Since the C-dale has pretty beefy tires stock, you know you`re covered there. The other one doesn`t say, but they look fat in the pic.

I prefer rim brakes, personally- I`m skinny, live in a dry area, and already know how to maintain and fix them. People who ride more in wet weather or who pack more weight than my skinny butt generally seem to prefer discs by a mile- gotta look at your situation to decide that one.

One of the sets of specs for the Cannondale mentions a 7 speed freewheel. That`s one to avoid if at all possible, and I don`t think you`ll find much disagreement about that. Freehubs (cassettes) are able to spread the bearings further apart, nearly eliminating the broken/bent axle problems that plagued thread-on freewheel hubs, and they allow more options for gearing (go down to 11 t as opposed to 13 for freewheels). Any bike with 8 speed or more on the rear cluster is ALMOST guaranteed to be freehub/cassette. For a new bike, 7 speed is ALMOST guaranteed to be freewheel. Older high end bikes might have 7 speed cassettes and a very few rare bikes had 8 speed freewheels- I`ve never run across one, but apparently they do exist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im sorry that this is turning into a whats better post but i've just come across this bike:

Cube Hyde Comp 2011

PRODUCT MODEL YEAR - 2011
    PRODUCT OPTIONS - 46cm, 50cm, 54cm, 58cm, 62cm
    Frame - HPA Trekking Double Butted
    Forks - Aluminium Rigid Fork
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Alivio RD-M410 Top Normal
    Front Derailleur - Shimano FD-M310 Top Swing, 34.9mm
    Shifters - Shimano Alivio SL-M410 8-Speed
    Chainset - Shimano FC-M311 48x38x28T., 170mm, Shimano BB-UN26, Chainguard
    Chain - KMC Z7
    Freewheel - Shimano CS-HG30 11-30T., 8-Speed
    Headset - FSA NO. 10 semi-integrated
    Stem - Easton EA30, 25.4mm
    Handlebars - Easton EA30 Riser
    Front brake - Shimano 445 hydr. Disc Brake (160/160)
    Rear Brake - Shimano 445 hydr. Disc Brake (160/160)
    Rims - Schürmann Yak 622 Disc
    Front hub - Shimano HB-RM65
    Rear hub - Shimano FH-RM65
    Spokes - DT Industry 2.0 silver
    Tyres - Schwalbe Road Cruiser
    Saddle - Scape Active 5
    Seatpost - RFR Complight 31.6mm
    Pedals - Fasten Alloy
    Grips - CUBE Double Doumeter Urban

So i guess the question remains, which out of the three would be best for purpose.

Regards,

Lee

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by icementhols
    So i guess the question remains, which out of the three would be best for purpose.
    Best for WHAT purpose? That one won`t be of much of a trail bike (high gears and non abuseable fork), but it looks like a downright sweet town bike. Buy in and ship it to me for testing

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hi all, i ended up ordering the Cannondale with the V-brake after trying it out and finding that it was perfect get it next friday cant wait to go out for a spin.

thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Gee, I like the smell of a new convert to cycling any time of the day...enjoy the bike. The first bike is special...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow, that was quick. I think spent a couple weeks looking at different shops for something I liked. I tried everything from flat handle roads to hybrids that were more road and more mountain and somewhere in between. When I found one I liked, I tried it in 17, 19, and 20.5 inch frame sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Same here. It takes me a month at least to buy a bike. Don't even ask me how long it takes me to buy a car. :-)