mtbr member
    Aug 2010

fenders vs rain pants

I am not actually commuting too much these days, but in the lack of a proper training bike, I am using my commuter for my fitness. I took all the "stuff" off (rack, fenders, reflectors, etc.) to drop weight and reduce riding noise. After a wet ride today, I considered putting the fenders back on. But I don't feel like adding the weight every day just for the advantage of some days.
    are some thin rain pants a worthwhile option to fenders? I have a waterproof wind jacket, but still found the wet butt stripe annoying.

my church is the woods
    Depends on how hard it's raining. The fenders work great for wet roads, they keep you dryu when it's stopped raining and the roads are still wet. And they don't really add much weight. They also help keep your feet more dry on wet roads.
    The pants will be great for heavier rain. they will also keep you warmer, make you sweat more, and therefor stink more. I have them but don't really like wearing them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I say fenders................but I work a 24hr shift so I can ride in when it is nice out and come home in a light rain or wet roads. Anything more than that and you would want both.

PRETENDURO
    Fenders for sure.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Around here (Seattle) we do fenders AND rain pants.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    this..
    Honestly... ahh I give up

The Brutally Handsome
    Fenders don't just reduce water splash, they keep the awful wet road grit off your components, shoes, legs and body. And if you're concerned about weight, take solace in the fact that the heavier your bike is the stronger you will get pushing it around town!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    …And if you're concerned about weight, take solace in the fact that the heavier your bike is the stronger you will get pushing it around town!
    That’s what I keep telling people– especially these hardcore weight weenie types. My “commuter” (LOL, to/from the EDD office, as well as my daily rocky switchback workouts) weighs 47.8 ON PURPOSE!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    that's a good point. I just borrowed a composite road bike for fitness riding. First time out, it was pouring. I road anyway. halfway through, I though about how many grams of water I had soaked up. I think my brain has a problem. Fender are going on the flatbar commuter. and probably replacing the rack. Maybe no reflectors. but it is definitely time to be the crazy guy riding the bike to the grocery in sub 40 degree weather.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    That’s what I keep telling people– especially these hardcore weight weenie types. My “commuter” (LOL, to/from the EDD office, as well as my daily rocky switchback workouts) weighs 47.8 ON PURPOSE!
    still, wow!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Agreed! FULL fenders with extended mud flaps and rain pants.

Weight? Really?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    Same ...It can rain any day for the next 5 months here in Oregon

mtbr member
    Fenders, for sure, here. With livestock trucks, there is more than grit to be splashed on your face! Fenders are part of good road hygeine! Rain pants too, as needed. (LOVE/HATE them.)

Weight? I've got 20 pounds left to drop on the body, so a few grams to be more comfortable and keep a lot of crap off the drivetrain? Priceless. I also figured that without water resistant clothing, I'd soak up far more weight in water that the fenders add, and any water getting through layers to the spine goes where it is most unpleasant.

I also adhere to the 'light bike is for racing, heavier for training/exercise' school of thought. What I lose in accelleration uphill I gain on the downside, as the Campy hubs roll pretty well.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How much do your fenders weigh???

I really like fenders, because they let me get away with hopping on my bike in a pair of jeans even in a light drizzle and doing my commute or errand. Rain pants are hot and gross inside (I hear this isn't true if you spend three figures on them...) so the longer I can get away with not having to wear them, the better. Having to wear them during the break between rains because the road is wet would be a bummer.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Fenders don't just reduce water splash, they keep the awful wet road grit off your components, shoes, legs and body. And if you're concerned about weight, take solace in the fact that the heavier your bike is the stronger you will get pushing it around town!
    Agreed. Fenders aren't so much for keeping you dry as clean... and your bike , too. Just look at the inside of your fenders after a rain ride and then picture that crap all over your drive train. Rain gear keeps you dry.

mtbr member
    Fenders if you can run them.

Keeps crap off you and your bike.
    When it's really wet, keeps the rooster tail out of your eyes.
    Road grit is waaaaaaay worse on your bike than trail mud!!!

Weight??? My steel CX commuter is on par with the weight of my mtn bike. I ride to stay fit and clear my head. I don't have to be the first one in the office.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You are using this bike as a trainer and you are concerned about one extra pound? I would go for the comfort first. Keep the fenders on.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depending on what "training" means, I can actually see not wanting to put fenders on. They rattle and make noises during sprints, and they're not really appropriate for a criterium.

OTOH, if it's just base training, mainly in the saddle... I'd rather spend three hours on a bike with fenders on wet roads, and your teammates behind you would rather you had fenders and a buddy flap.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Are your fenders made of lead? Aren't you riding for fitness? Road noise? Really?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Exactly. And if you were actually commuting to work I would say fenders are a must (for both yourself and your buddy behind you). Nothing worse then showing up to work with telltale stripe up your back. Even on your workout gear that stripe can be hard to get out...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    On weekdays, I train on my 25 plus lb commuter with fenders, lights, racks, heavy duty wheels and tires. On weekends when I ride my road bike it feels light and springy.