mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Fenders for my new commuter

Hey guys,

So I splurged & bought myself a Trek 7.2FX Disc for the coming winter. I plan to commute year round & being that I live in the rainy Willamette Valley, I need some fenders. This bike will never go offroad, that's what my Fuel EX is for. This one will be a pavement queen with the occasional romp on a gravel driveway, but that's it. So I need some full fenders, but being that I have disc brakes I think that it complicates it in terms of what will fit. Also, this bike came with 700x35 tires & I won't change those tires out to something else anytime soon, so the fenders need to work with that as well. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Fenders for my new commuter

What fits depends on the bike's mounts. You could buy more traditional mounting fenders but will probably have to mod the stays...assuming you have places to attach them. There are others that will zip tie on and avoid the disc calipers altogether.

SKS and Planet Bike make good full fenders with many options.

As far as tire size, that depends on the capacity of your frame and fork. It might have room to fit fenders without swapping for narrower tires but it might not. You will probably need to measure to be sure.

mtbr member
    According to the Trek Website, the bike is Fender/rack ready.... not sure what the means exactly. The only photo's under the rack/fender leave a little to be desired. That said, I bought a pair of SKS Chromoplastic fenders for my Salsa El Mariachi. While I'm only running 700x32 I believe they will accommodate up to 37's. I did find that for my application some modifications were needed, specifically to the struts on the disc brake side. I've seen a lot of people do this modification using spacers and washers, but I didn't care for the look of it so I did some bending of the struts. I did all of my mods with a handful of things I had in my rental condo, no real tools or work area, so you shouldn't have any trouble. Below are some of the mods I made to mine if you are looking for inspiration. Oh, and yeah, Fenders rock! Congrats on the commute

Cyclenut: What do you do on a snowy Saturday....

blet drive
    Civia makes some really nice fenders that fit some big tires. You lbs can get them.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Fat-tired Roadie
    My Portland took a rack and fenders pretty well, and has disc brakes.

The Portland placed the rear disc on the chainstay. Installing fenders was easy. The rack was a little tougher. The dropouts are pretty crowded, so I needed a spacer to give adequate clearance for the bottom of the stay. I had something suitable lying around, so no big deal.

The stays on many (most?) fenders can be bent if a straight path won't work.

My fenders are Planet Bike. They work well but some of the details don't seem brilliantly thought out.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I Ride for Donuts
    I've used the disc brake mount bolt to secure the fender support on a couple of different bikes and never run into an issue. Doing it right now on the front of my Ogre, even though that Ogre fork has about 30 places to mount a fender . Just use the fender support like a washer for the upper disc caliper mounting bolt.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkychick View Post
    Hey guys,

So I splurged & bought myself a Trek 7.2FX Disc for the coming winter. I plan to commute year round & being that I live in the rainy Willamette Valley, I need some fenders. This bike will never go offroad, that's what my Fuel EX is for. This one will be a pavement queen with the occasional romp on a gravel driveway, but that's it. So I need some full fenders, but being that I have disc brakes I think that it complicates it in terms of what will fit. Also, this bike came with 700x35 tires & I won't change those tires out to something else anytime soon, so the fenders need to work with that as well. Thoughts? Recommendations?
    I used fenders for a number of years.....I finally gave up because they were breaking and falling off too much for me...

Most people have had issues with fenders stay on etc....if you read some of the fender threads...

I find it easier to just deal with the wetness

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    According to the Trek Website, the bike is Fender/rack ready.... not sure what the means exactly. The only photo's under the rack/fender leave a little to be desired. That said, I bought a pair of SKS Chromoplastic fenders for my Salsa El Mariachi. While I'm only running 700x32 I believe they will accommodate up to 37's. I did find that for my application some modifications were needed, specifically to the struts on the disc brake side. I've seen a lot of people do this modification using spacers and washers, but I didn't care for the look of it so I did some bending of the struts. I did all of my mods with a handful of things I had in my rental condo, no real tools or work area, so you shouldn't have any trouble. Below are some of the mods I made to mine if you are looking for inspiration. Oh, and yeah, Fenders rock! Congrats on the commute

Cyclenut: What do you do on a snowy Saturday....
    That's great, thanks for the link. The FX has eyelets next to the dropouts at the rear for both a rack & fender, & on the front there is one eyelet next to the dropout then what looks like another one about halfway up the fork (maybe for a front rack?). So it's all set for fenders, but the eyelets sit under the brake calipers which was my concern. So it just looks like I'll need to do some modding to the braces for the fenders & I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    My Portland took a rack and fenders pretty well, and has disc brakes.

The Portland placed the rear disc on the chainstay. Installing fenders was easy. The rack was a little tougher. The dropouts are pretty crowded, so I needed a spacer to give adequate clearance for the bottom of the stay. I had something suitable lying around, so no big deal.

The stays on many (most?) fenders can be bent if a straight path won't work.

My fenders are Planet Bike. They work well but some of the details don't seem brilliantly thought out.
    Do you have any thoughts on how the SKS Longboards compare? I'm looking at either those or the Planet Bike Cascadia Hybrid/Touring.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I've used the disc brake mount bolt to secure the fender support on a couple of different bikes and never run into an issue. Doing it right now on the front of my Ogre, even though that Ogre fork has about 30 places to mount a fender . Just use the fender support like a washer for the upper disc caliper mounting bolt.
    That is a great tip & one that I never would have thought of, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I used fenders for a number of years.....I finally gave up because they were breaking and falling off too much for me...

Most people have had issues with fenders stay on etc....if you read some of the fender threads...

I find it easier to just deal with the wetness
    Not an option.

On my bike I used a combination of a spacer and bending the stays around the caliper. A friend of mine used the upper disc caliper mounting bolt, but had to get a longer M5 bolt. I think both systems have worked pretty well, so depends on what you're comfortable with.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A lot of my friends say that SKS fenders are better made. At the time, I didn't want to spend the extra.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    On my bike I used a combination of a spacer and bending the stays around the caliper. A friend of mine used the upper disc caliper mounting bolt, but had to get a longer M5 bolt. I think both systems have worked pretty well, so depends on what you're comfortable with.
    I have bent the stays around the rear brake (last bike), and it worked fine. I found that using the spacer thing that came with the fenders to get the support out and away from the brake made the fender much more wobbly on the trail, so I just shortened it and used the brake mounting bolt. I found it to be much more stable.

I have used SKS and Planet Bike fenders, and the SKS ones were definitely thicker/heavier material. The Planet Bike full coverage fenders have the best coverage though in my experience.

I have bent the stays around the rear brake (last bike), and it worked fine. I found that using the spacer thing that came with the fenders to get the support out and away from the brake made the fender much more wobbly on the trail, so I just shortened it and used the brake mounting bolt. I found it to be much more stable.

I have used SKS and Planet Bike fenders, and the SKS ones were definitely thicker/heavier material. The Planet Bike full coverage fenders have the best coverage though in my experience.
    My bike with fenders doesn't really see "trails" so much. It can handle a little dirt, but not too much. I used SKS fenders for the project, and still didn't have wobble issues when I took the bike into rougher situations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks guys. I think that I'm going to go with the Planet Bike Cascadia Hybrid/Touring set. Seems like both SKS & PB each have good & bad things about them, so it seems like either one will work fine. I'll report back after I get them set up.

mtbr member
    I had SKS fenders on the commuter and was able to get the front to take a 42 slick and a 37 studded. Took a bit of adjusting and finagling to get it to work and was pretty much stretched out to the max on the stays. Rear wheel was a bigger issue for the studs and I ended up removing it (worked fine on the slicks, but the shop installed them). Too big of a hassle. I've been using half fenders I pieced together out of bits to cover the areas not covered by the rack in the rear and it has worked pretty well. We'll see how they protect when it comes time to put the studs back on and the snows come.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I ride Planet Bike fenders on my disc brake commuter. The fenders come with standoffs and longer bolts to clear the brake calipers. You'll have to bend the fender stays a bit for your particular configuration. Mine have been fire and forget for almost 14,000 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can you post some pics when you get them installed? I got the exact same bike and curious on what it'll look like

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Very happy with my PB Cascadia fenders, though I'm not running disc brakes. They have been rock solid since I put them on a little over a year ago, and I ride on some pretty rough roads.

I Ride for Donuts
    So I just replaced my PB Cascadia fenders with new PB Cascadia fenders, becuase mine were basically held together with zip-ties and duct tape, one had a crack, etc... too much trail time and a couple of mishaps....

Anyway the new ones came with this horrible "break-away" feature on the front fender, supposedly so that if you got a stick or something between the tire and the fender, it will pop the mount loose rather than send you launching over the bars. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I am harder on these fenders than 99% of people, I HAVE gotten a stick between the fenders and the tire, and what happens is the fender cracks or the struts pull loose...the laws of physics prevent a catastrophic dismount from happening.

These little plastic 'break away' pieces serve two functions: First, they act as built-in rattle devices, allowing your fenders to rattle immediately upon installation, before they even have a chance to get loose. Secondly, they prevent you from bending the very bottom portion of the strut to get the mounting angle just right. What a horrible, pointless idea. I looked at mine for about 4 seconds before prying them apart and throwing them away.