mtbr member
    May 2007

Fenders on a mountain bike

Hey everyone,

I've been a "fair weather" commuter for a while now, but have recently added fenders to my bike in an attempt to be able to ride in the rain. My bike is a 10 year old gary fischer marlin with an old rock shox fork on it. I purchased the Planet Bike hardcore fenders. I put the rear fender on without any problems, but I do not have any eyelets on the front fork to attach the metal supports (skewers) on either side. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can secure the front fender? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Duct tape and/or super glue!

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a page with some rubberized, band-clamps made for mounting racks:

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=MH

Look around the site too. There are some things worth looking at. For example, here's a photo of a front rack mounted to a suspension fork:

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Mercha...egory_Code=CSF

Not sure what hardware is involved in the above.

I bought a rear rack from Old Man Mountain last year. The guy behind the company was responsive and good to deal with.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Jonathan, that site looks like they have what I would need, but I don't see pictures of any of the hardware items! I'm not really sure what I would be getting by the description alone...

~Disc~Golf~
    would something like this work for you? aluminum or stainless w/ rubber protector - varying sizes to fit around a fork leg.

or

they can be found at any hardware store for spare change - look in the electrical section or plumbing
    Last edited by highdelll; 03-06-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For odd sizes, you can also make your own band clamp out of a strip of aluminum and some nuts and bolts. It's finicky, but it works fine once you get it set up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys, I'll stop by a hardware store on my way home.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Give Chris a call at Planet Bike. He can hookk you up with what you need. They are my goto people when I make wooden fenders. If they don't have the hardware, they know where to get it.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Members who have read this thread: 0