Thread: Fenders

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fenders

Any of you find or know of fenders that will mount with the Rock Shox Dart 3? I've a half fender on it but I'm getting too much blowback out the front.

I Ride for Donuts
    I've found the front part of the fender to be the most critical. That's the junk that hits you in the face.

how fat are the tires you're using? I've made a road fender (planet bike) work on a pair of suspension forks before, because you can mount it at the hub/quick release area, and just sort of balance the top with zip-ties. You have to be running skinny tires for it to block all of the water though. MTB tires throw some water up from the lugs on the edges as well as the typical spray from the middle of the tire. If you go to 1.5 slicks or so, you can make a road fender work.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I've found the front part of the fender to be the most critical. That's the junk that hits you in the face.

how fat are the tires you're using? I've made a road fender (planet bike) work on a pair of suspension forks before, because you can mount it at the hub/quick release area, and just sort of balance the top with zip-ties. You have to be running skinny tires for it to block all of the water though. MTB tires throw some water up from the lugs on the edges as well as the typical spray from the middle of the tire. If you go to 1.5 slicks or so, you can make a road fender work.
    I've got those Bontrager Jones AcXs. More than half my commute is trails so I need the knobbies.