mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Fayetteville, NC

Anyone commute in Fayetteville, NC? I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA and there is an abundance of bicycle accessibility around the city making commuting easy. I do not currently have a license, and I will be relocating to NC for a job soon.

mtbr member
    Commuting can be challenging in Fayetteville. Not much in the way of shoulders on the road. But it can be done, just depends on where you live and where you'll work. There is great riding though..

I lived there several times (7 years total). Check out Cross Creak Cycling Club (C4) and Hawley's Bike Shop when you get there. The club is the best I've ever been associated with, and the people at Hawley's are good people. Ask for Rob (President of the club)..

Link to the C4 website: http://www.crosscreekcyclingclub.org...l/Default.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I was down there I noticed that the road were very wide (read "many lanes of traffic") and that there weren't many sidewalks or bike lanes. I ride on the road in Pittsburgh, but usually I only have two lanes of traffic to deal with. I always take my liberty with the bike and car have the same right to use the road idea. I also follow traffic laws and signal at turns. I figure if bikers what the same rights as motorists on the road, they need to follow the same rules to keep everyone on the same page.

Thanks for the info on C4, and having a good bike shop around is invaluable.

The only main road I have to deal with is McPherson Church from Rushmore Drive to Yadkin Road.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 06-06-2008 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I would avoid Yadkin Road at all costs. It is very narrow, and has alot of early morning traffic associated with tired soldiers going to physical training half awake. Yadkin's nickname is "Yadkill"..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can't do that. Look at my route.

mtbr member
    well fwiw, the part of yadkin you'll be on is better than the part between all american highway and fort bragg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I was down there, I don't remember that part of the route concerning me as much as McPherson in terms of room for me and traffic volume. It's only about a quarter mile anyway.

Also I checked out C4, but I'm a mountain biker at heart, commute just cause I have to, and its a hell of a lot cheaper. C4 seemed to be geared towards road bikers. Any good mountain biking groups in Fayetteville?

mtbr member
    They have MTBers too. I haven't been down that way in a few years, but their MTB crowd has grown quite a bit since I was there. They do races (road and MTB) and there use to be a pretty good short track series when I as there.

You won't have any problems finding people to ride with. The club is pretty big with all sorts of riders.