Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Fastest speed for a bike?

Hi all, I'm just wondering what the limits are for a bicycle as far as speed goes. My fastest on my mtb going down a pretty long steep hill is 40.6mph with knobbies and locked out shock. The bike felt pretty stable getting up to that speed... although I'm not sure I can pedal my legs much faster than I was.

I've recently picked up a rigid, even lighter mtb from Craigslist and just put on some Forte 1.25 skinny slicks and was thinking about taking it down that hill for a new personal speed record!

So assuming a long steep hill with safe conditions and no traffic, how fast can a bike be taken up to? Whenever I get up to 30mph and up, (not very often at all) I can't help but think of the video of that dude eating it on the volcano!

Btw, first bike is a 2006 f400 and my current ride is a....I dunno what exactly but it's a Bud Light edition Cannondale...M-something, I think.

Also, what are your fastest speeds commuting? Anyone else constantly trying to bump up their speed record?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Some idiot cop gave my friends wife a ticket back in 1980 for going 42 in a 35
    on a BIG downhill. Sure glad the police don't have any real crimes to be out preventing!

nnn
    mtbr member
    Well the outright speed record is something ridiculous, but those are very special bikes.

I've done 80km/h on my AM bike with 2.3 Nokians down Demandolx pass in the Alps and that was with some help from buddies so couldn't really go much faster and it was very steep
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I spin out on my fixed gear around 45mph. Look up the hour records, for those the pedal actually pedaled. There are videos of idiots going down mountains on bikes to get the highest speed. Human powered machines also have high speeds.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    In college (many years ago), my steel road bike and I often hit 50-55 mph on a hill outside san diego. That was with skinny tubular tires, and now that I think of it, no helmet. I didn't start wearing one until I got hit by a car the first time. Young and stupid...

I think that the T de F guys hit 60 mph, and those mountain stages have scary turns too. According to wired, 81 mph is doable (http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty...ikerecord_0330) on FLAT ground. But, you have to go to extremes...

There is a vid of a guy doing 163kph (about 100mph). Then is bike fails pretty catastrophically. http://www.bestofgooglevideo.com/video.php?video=116

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    How about 57.3mph (92.3kph). It's possible that I was going faster, I'm not sure at what point a Cateye Velo8's sensor hits the wall.

That's on the bike shown below, except with 1.25" road tires, no fenders, and no front rack/bags (and no snow either!), descending Charles Road south of Spokane, WA (not part of my commute, unfortunately). It probably helps that it's a very heavy bike even in summer trim However, I'm pretty sure my Paramount can beat that; I'll have to try it next Spring.

The main things to worry about are cross-traffic and flat tires. So if you're going for a new PR, be careful, and check your tires for embedded glass and stuff first.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I hit 57.9mph on a 5% downhill.......not really- my cyclometer will misread the front wheel speed, if I raise the front wheel, while going downhill(zero rolling resistance=outrageous speed reading). My personal best on that same downhill was 41.1mph. I ride a 19-pound Cannondale XC race bike:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Heh, I guess I won't worry about my bike flying apart then!

local trails rider
    I don't have a computer, but during a group ride I was told that we did something over 60km/h (35 to 40mph) on mountain bikes down a street. Maybe it is lack of practice but I start feeling vulnerable at those speeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I hit 26 mph on a singletack descent and felt vulnerable. My personal best is 32 mph on flat, and that's on the cross bike.

I'm SUCH a square....
    My old Schwinn 10-speed took me on a sweet downhil roll in '74...56mph w/ a mechanical speedo.

I've never topped 31 on my MTB, but my riding bud has done 37.6 on his Epic going home from work. He also had a Schwinn road bike once...hit 39.9, couldn't quite do the 40, on his commute.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

eBiker
    I broke 55mph a few times on the road bike. But after going OTB on Third Divide at full speed (40+ mph) on the MTB during the Downieville Downhill (and breaking my back) I don't think I'll be pushing for the speed again.

55mph, with only 18 pounds of bike underneath you is quite the thrill.

P

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Here's a rocket powered mountain bike that did 236kph/147mph:

http://www.swissrocketman.com/ete09.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vyOwvEKms8

Blind biker
    Ive done 66mph on my mtb it was very scary since at the end of the hill was a curb drop and then another curb you had to hop over. I didnt think the bike was going to stay together as it was waddling from side to side.
    Last edited by harry2110; 11-30-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've managed a little over 43mph on the mtb with knobbies pedalling down an incline (moderate slope....nothing long or steep enough to generate truly scary speeds)
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Card-carrying wotmeister
    I probably hit 35 descending a 7-story parking garage today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    62.5 mph on a long, but not too steep, hill. Awesome tail wind. 1.125 slicks on a MTB.

Funny thing is; I didn't feel like it was that fast until I had to stop for lights at the bottom of the hill. Checked the speedo and wow!

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Did the cars notice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't think there were any. I live almost in the middle of nowhere. There may have been somebody at the bus stop though. :S

BIG and Bald
    I hit 38 MPH one time on my mtb. It was on a short, steep paved road that abruptly stopped at a main highway. Not sure if I was worrying about crashing or being able to stop at the stop sign and not skidding out into traffic. Thank God for disc brakes. Flashes of my front wheel coming out of the fork kept popping into my head.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Frt Range, CO
    - single bike, Canadian Rockies, 7% grade ~52mph frt/rear racks with 50lbs of camping gear

- tandem bike, TOMROV by Galena, 25% grade, 68mph (wife had her eyes closed)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Before I removed my outer chainring, I hit a little over 34mph on my bike, an Ibex Asta with knobbies on the local paved trail. I matched that on some roads in the Indiana dunes, and I know I could've hit 40mph if I had the outer ring on.

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've done 40 on my road bike. You just get these small hills that really can slingshot if you kick it into a lower gear and spin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    50mph on Clipper St. in SF. Could have gone faster if it weren't for that pesky stop sign at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

gone close to 60

on a road bike
    never have slicks on my mtb so I've done close to 35 on a clean offroad descent

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast