A God Without A Name

Fast Full Suspension Commuter=XC bikes?

I'm still on the search for a fast Urban commuter. now I'm adding Suspension to my consideration.

(Fast by my terms. not by realities terms.)

I dream of something like the ellsworth Truth. stiff, light speedy. but with enough Suspension to take the edge off.

but DANG thats pricey.

anyone know of some short travel, sub 2,000 dollar bikes that are nice and stiff?

I'm told Kona's flex. haven't ridden them recently though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For a bike that stays on pavement or the occasional dirt path, suspension really isn't needed.

A slightly fatter tire will take the edge off 99% of the road bumps, and the larger diameter of a 700C wheel helps bridge bumps too.

Suspension doesn't start making a real difference until you get into rocks and roots. Small-amplitude, high-frequency bumps are better handled with tire volume.

DG

A God Without A Name
    Suspension is never really "Needed" but it is a nice little thing to have. I've commuted on a expensive hardtail and a wal-mart full suspension. both had the same size tires (2.3).

now while the wal-mart bike flexed side to side and was generally horrid. I did enjoy the about 2-3 inches of rear travel on it. not for the sitting comfort so much as the lack of impact on my legs.

tire volume lowers rolling resistance. and while suspension adds plenty of weight... it personally doesn't affect me motivating the bike as much as fat tires does.

regardless. I just like Full sussers. but being a Commuter before a sportsman means they're not my best choice.

but I like them. like thinking about them... write them love letters on the back of my notebook...

If sanity was not part of the equation... heck I'd ride a Freeride bike to work and school.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan
    but I like them. like thinking about them... write them love letters on the back of my notebook...
    I can dig it. I like to fondle single pivot sidepull calipers. It`s gonna get me on a watch list one of these days, but I can`t help myself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm still on the search for a fast Urban commuter. now I'm adding Suspension to my consideration.

(Fast by my terms. not by realities terms.)

I dream of something like the ellsworth Truth. stiff, light speedy. but with enough Suspension to take the edge off.

but DANG thats pricey.

anyone know of some short travel, sub 2,000 dollar bikes that are nice and stiff?

I'm told Kona's flex. haven't ridden them recently though.

I ride a Rocky Mountain Element....you will need an RP23 at least for the rear to prevent excessive bob.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RecceDG
    For a bike that stays on pavement or the occasional dirt path, suspension really isn't needed.

A slightly fatter tire will take the edge off 99% of the road bumps, and the larger diameter of a 700C wheel helps bridge bumps too.

Suspension doesn't start making a real difference until you get into rocks and roots. Small-amplitude, high-frequency bumps are better handled with tire volume.

DG

Icy foot prints for several kms will rattle anyones teeth out. Even with a front fork.

mtbr member
    ^ I've had my new rigid, steel 29er for a few weeks, and have been really impressed by how much it cuts out the chatter on the icy paths. And right now the tires are only 2.1/2.25 because I'm still waiting for the shop to get my front 2.4 in. But even with that, trails that are normally pretty bone-rattling on my hardtails are actually pretty comfy.

I could see a steel 29er running something like big apples would be a super smooth urban commuter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Icy foot prints for several kms will rattle anyones teeth out. Even with a front fork.
    + 1

Moderator Moderator

but DANG thats pricey.
    Yes, unless you actually took it on trails as well, that would just be seen as a pricey poser.

mtbr member
    Pick up a used 2008 or newer cannondale scalpel

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled
    ^ I've had my new rigid, steel 29er for a few weeks, and have been really impressed by how much it cuts out the chatter on the icy paths. And right now the tires are only 2.1/2.25 because I'm still waiting for the shop to get my front 2.4 in. But even with that, trails that are normally pretty bone-rattling on my hardtails are actually pretty comfy.

I could see a steel 29er running something like big apples would be a super smooth urban commuter.
    Rigid steel 29ers are at the top of my list of bikes under consideration. I actually made a thread about it.

I just really love the feel and look of suspension.

even though I dont need it.

T.W.O.
    I'd just put the 29er disc wheel on xc fs plenty fast because the tires pumped at higher psi it's a bit firmer but still feels great.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Yes, unless you actually took it on trails as well, that would just be seen as a pricey poser.

Poser is as Poser does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thudbuster seatpost on a hard tail?

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107
    Thudbuster seatpost on a hard tail?
    Does nothing for taking the impact off my knees.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled

Aluminum, but yes...yes it is.

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)