Thread: Falling!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Falling!!

so yesterday on my commute home I was riding my my 29er due to the new lake effect snow fall and I was riding closer to the edge of the road then normal with a car behind me and a line behind him, when I caught the edge and went off the bike falling left into traffic....I heard screeching tires and brakes locking up , I turned and saw headlights and thought this is it......thankfully the cars stopped and i lived, a few nice people asked if I was okay.....besides a bruised tail bone i'm ok....drove today i'll be back on the bike next week

So anyone else take scarey spills in traffic and live to tell about it????

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Caught the edge? Of the road? Why were you ever that far over?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    because the road was covered in snow so i didn't really know where the edge was

that and I live in a very unfriendly community when it comes to bikes.....everybody probably sees me as some jackass who "shouldnt be on his bike in this kind of weather"

jrm
    mtbr member

Railroad tracks and seams

damn them..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hehe I felt pretty much the same way last year... linky

Fat-tired Roadie
    While pissed off motorists are irritating, I'd rather have someone honking at me than clipping me when they pass too close. I think I'm a lot more likely to get hurt because of someone's incompetence as a driver or inability to glance in the rear-view before opening their door than their realized desire to hit me.

I've generally been fairly lucky with taking my falls either off-road or with no traffic around. The worst was when I stood up to accelerate out of a stop sign, broke my chain and fell. The installer should have read the manual. That was right in front of a car, but it hadn't even started to move yet.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    this was my first road spill while commuting and in while traffic.......i've taken plenty off road before.....its good to hear other peoples crash stories though.

weirdo
    Doh! I`d have crapped my pants! No, I haven`t had any similar incdents, but I can easilly imagine it. Fortunately for me, the drivers are RELATIVELY patient with bicycles around here, and I don`t ride in city traffic very often.

"While pissed off motorists are irritating, I'd rather have someone honking at me than clipping me when they pass too close."
    Not positive, but I think this is a suggestion to either take the whole lane or at least move out further into it when the conditions are bad. If so, I agree with Mr. Switch. I probably ride closer to the edge than I really should most of the time, but when it gets dicey I stay well inside the white line. Somebody made the interresting observation that the less room you give yourself on your right the less room cars will give you to your left- sounds completely stupid, but it`s generally true.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    On my summer commute I use a contra-flow bike lane for about half a km. 2' to my left there is oncoming 60km+ traffic, and 2' to my right are concrete planters and wrought iron benches. In the summer it's a great route.

Last year on one of my first fall rides there was frost or something on the road and the bike just dropped out from under me (I didn't have the winter sKiLLz I do now ), and I ended up in the road. It was through compete dumb luck that there was a break in traffic because the lights had recently changed.

Now from Oct-Apr you couldn't pay me to use that bike-lane

mtbr member
    I fell On Wednesday trying to find a path up a Berm on the way to work. Then Did on the way home. I've never fallen on the road in traffic though. That would be freaky to me. I ride in Pretty busy traffic too. I try to stay over but often ride in the right tire track when I know people won't give me enough room or try to make it by me. I live Near Michigan State University but people are some what rude to Cyclists. My favorite part of my ride is the Roundabouts. I'm completely certain if I fell in one of those, I'd die.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    29er your experience is something I kept thinking about my whole ride in on Friday. Whether the edge of the road or even a patch of ice, the idea of going down to the left when there are cars going by at 40mph is a very scary thought. While I'd like to develop a subconscious to fall to the right...physics in this case would dictate the fall direction.

In the snow on Friiday I was taking the middle of the lane (the only plowed area) and also flat out pulled over and stopped on the shoulder twice for cars to pass when it looked like riding on the shoulder was too dicey.