Thread: Ergon GC1?

Baby Bear is in the house

Ergon GC1?

I can't find any reviews of this on the net.
    I've recently started commuting on my MTB and realized my ESI Chunkies weren't cutting it (great for offroad SS though). And since I've put gears back on, I'm spending more time on the saddle, and my hands are pretty much staying in one place during the ride (versus moving around/standing up when the bike was still SS). So I put back my Ergon-knock-offs and noticed they were better than the ESIs. But I've always found the wing part to be too big for me, so I'm now looking into the real deal: Ergons.
    I've considered the GS1 because I like that the wing is minimalistic. But since I have a Ragley Carnegie's bar, I figured the GC1 would be better.
    I still can't figure out Ergon's pitch on how the GC1 can make high sweep bars more comfy, when in fact it is the high sweep that makes them comfy to begin with
    "The GC1 corrects this wrist position through its anatomic and ergonomically correct form." -Ergon
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

Also, it's been what, 2 years, since these were announced, and I still can't find them in stock anywhere.

I just found this
    Buy Ergon GC1 Comfort Grips at Tredz Bikes. 22.49 with free UK delivery
    It shows a pic implying the GC1 is recommended for bars with a sweep between 30 and 60 degrees. This is the only place I've seen this mentioned. Would this mean the GC1 isn't recommended for my Carnegie's (25-degree sweep)? Is this legit? Maybe Ergon/Jeff K can chime in?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I have the basic GP1 grips. It looks like the only difference between the GP1 and the GC1 is that the GC1 has the end swept out a little for bars that sweep back. I'd say if you have straightish bars go for the GP1, if you have swept bars, to for the GC1.

I got mine because I have one bike where my hands start to tingle after about 1/2 hour. The grips didn't help too much but they are comfy. You have to play with the position of them to get the wrist support you want. I just left the clamp slightly loose so I could rotate them while riding until they felt the best.

Ergon Bike
    The GP1 and GC1 are similar grips; same ergonomic features, same materials, etc. The GC1 is designed specifically for swept back bars, where the GP1 is for standard straight bars. The GC1, announced at Interbike this past September, is to be released later this June.

The GC1 is designed to align the wrists correctly.

Ergon GC1?-screen-shot-2013-06-04-7.32.00-am.png

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    The GC1 is designed to align the wrists correctly.

Ergon USA
    I find this really strange. Isn't the whole point of high-swept bars to have a more ergonomic position on the bike? If you're wrists don't "align... correctly" then either the bar isn't set up properly or the sweep isn't right for you.
    The 25 degrees of sweep that my Carnegie's have is just right for my wrists. I just need the extra "wing" of the ergo-type grips to lessen the pressure on the heel of my palm some more. I'm just wondering whether I should wait for the the GC1s to become available or just settle for the more-readily available GS1s.

Ergon Bike
    Correct, sweptback bars help the arm, wrist, and hand position on the bike. What the GC1 does is solve the issue of incorrect positioning of using these style of bars with our original GP1 grips. Our original GP1 grip and other models are designed around the straight bar design, when installed on these radically sweptback bars puts the hand and wrists in an undesirable position. The GC1 has a different shape to give all the properties the GP1 is known for, but with the compatibility of these angled bars.

The GC1 is available now: https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/shop

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    Correct, sweptback bars help the arm, wrist, and hand position on the bike. What the GC1 does is solve the issue of incorrect positioning of using these style of bars with our original GP1 grips. Our original GP1 grip and other models are designed around the straight bar design, when installed on these radically sweptback bars puts the hand and wrists in an undesirable position. The GC1 has a different shape to give all the properties the GP1 is known for, but with the compatibility of these angled bars.

The GC1 is available now: https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/shop

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Jeff, thanks for your patience so far.

So, given that I have Carnegie's on my MTB which I use on- and off-road, would you say the GC1s would be a better choice over the GS1s (which I'm eyeing for the smaller wing)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    ....Would this mean the GC1 isn't recommended for my Carnegie's (25-degree sweep)? Is this legit? Maybe Ergon/Jeff K can chime in?
    Same question here.

Is the GC1 recommended for 25 degree sweeps?