mtbr member
    Mar 2009

endura luminlite jacket

Hi: Anybody using this jacket or can recommend another? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Pricey. A lot better than what a lot of cyclists wear! I use a Carhardt ANSI II approved vest over whatever jacket/coat/hoodie/jersey: $30 on sale locally.

The replacement light for this jacket is about $10. Nice idea. But the price makes me think: ineffective. Wish they had distant beamshots of it in action. Some cheap lights look great at up to 50 feet but are not worth much unless it is pitch dark after say, 100' which just isn't enough response time. It is just soon enough to help a driver recognize you are a cyclist before they run over you. The color and flashes are very nice. mechBgon sewed a bunch of the sparkly reflective tape on his Pearl Izumi??, anyway same eyewatering limon color jacket. See Another Commuting Thread about lights and the Show Your Reflective or whatever it was thread.

Safety doesn't cost, it pays. One avoided accident is priceless. Most drivers don't want the hasstle either, even though their actions might indicate otherwise!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm pretty sure I've seen people wearing this jacket while commuting. I can't say anything about how good the jacket is, but the light on the back isn't very bright. Better than nothing I guess, but if I owned one I'd still run a normal rear light like a Superflash. Maybe if you dont normally keep lights on your bike if would help if you forgot to put your lights on and got caught out after dark? I'm clutching at straws here.

However I do own an Endura Windchill jacket that I use commuting and it's a very nice jacket with lots of features and just the right temperature as an outer layer for autumn and spring riding. I then add another thermal layer and a cheap day-glow yellow shell for winter. A mate at work has a different model Endura jacket (not sure what model) and really likes it too.

So to Endura jackets in general but dont expect much from the Luminite LED and I'd say dont choose that jacket just for the LED. Maybe take a look at Endura's other yellow commuter jackets as one of those might be more suited to you feature wise.