formerly Giantxc

Encourage biking to work at We the People

Hundreds of thousands of federal employees are discouraged from commuting to work by bike by naive General Services Administration rules prohibiting bicycles from being brought inside of federal buildings. Please support the following petition to the White House to revoke this rule:
    http://wh.gov/lg8j2

Thanks for considering.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    $5000 commute bike?

Moderator Moderator
    We had this issue at my work and I was pretty surprised when the building's owners, a big insurance company, rolled (ha!) and allowed bikes inside if they are totally in a cube and not an aisle. But our cubes are so small that this requires a spare cube. Some people have been using this option, mostly those with fancier road bikes. Since I ride in all weather and its a low theft risk location, I'm happy using the racks outside in good weather and in the garage in bad weather. I don't want to leave a trail across the new carpets, and that way I also don't have to take the bike on the stairs or elevator. i think a rack in the lobby on some all weather flooring would have been a better idea than the cubie allowance, but I'm not going to quibble.

mtbr member
    I highly doubt I'd be able to bring my bike inside work, but honestly I haven't even asked. I'm perfectly happy leaving it on the rack outside. I personally don't find this as big an issue as others, although it would be nice to have the option. As long as there's sufficient outside parking in an area that theft isn't an issue...

jrm
    mtbr member
    I dont understand why they arent considering options like external racks or constructing parking in their secured garages.

mtbr member
    I feel like this is a bit dramatic: " not designed for long term, outdoor storage. Weather greatly accelerates wear to critical bicycle parts when stored outdoors, significantly increasing the costs of commuting this way." I mean, obviously leaving the bike outside does decrease life, but if you properly maintain it, not by that much. I also don't think many people will be discouraged from bike commuting due to indoor vs. outdoor bike parking.

mtbr member
    $500-10,000?

Stealth UltraCommuter:: Titanium :: Bertone Edition | Firefly Bicycles

Budnitz Bicycles Store | High end titanium and steel city bikes, cycling apparel, components, and accessories

Interbike: Moots Comooter ? $8750 | Commute by Bike

To list a few. Helps justify that next N+ 1, doesn't it?

I would think anti theft would be the big one, not weathering, but maybe liability issues stops that being mentioned.

mtbr member
    My office is pretty central, but also pretty isolated - it's surrounded by arterial roads and gigantic lawns. There's really no random foot or car traffic, and anyone who's here is generally here for a reason.

We've got bikeracks out front, and also one in the secured, underground parking.

One of the other frequent bike commuters was telling me that before they installed the underground parking a few years ago he used to park outside. One day he was leaving the building, and there were two people mysteriously crouched around his bike. He shooed them off, and discovered that they'd stolen his rear wheel, and were in the process of replacing it with a different one. The guy rides pretty practical bikes, so he found the whole thing very confusing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I dont understand why they arent considering options like external racks or constructing parking in their secured garages.
    A federal facility near me is currently adding 300 parking spaces at a cost of $10 million. IThe plan only includes 3 bike spaces and it's the crap racks that secure one wheel IIRC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    He shooed them off, and discovered that they'd stolen his rear wheel, and were in the process of replacing it with a different one. The guy rides pretty practical bikes, so he found the whole thing very confusing.
    Replacing the stolen wheel with another, I'm confused. It reminds me of a kid I knew as the one armed bandit who'd steal combination locks off bikes in a very busy shopping precinct.
    He'd managed to climb a power pole and get zapped and used people's reaction to his disfigurement to the fullest.

Back in the Saddle Again
    I didn't give my employer an option. When they told me that they did not have the funds to buy and install a rack, I brought my bike in with me and park it in the empty desk behind me and will do so til they get a rack installed.

On a good note, I posted how the company has a backwards view on getting racks, "If enough interest is shown on biking, we will install one." I basicly said that if a cyclist does not see a rack, they will not ride in and generally not say anything. Go green should be across the board anf let people choose their methods.

I got am email from corporate saying that they contacted the manager of my location and told them to buy and install a rack. I am pleasantly surprised.
    Live, Learn, and Upgrade when possible.
    ----------------
    2009 Jamis Venture Sport SS (Ratbike)
    2013 Surly 1X1 Polo bike
    2009 Globe Vienna (Mule)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    A federal facility near me is currently adding 300 parking spaces at a cost of $10 million. IThe plan only includes 3 bike spaces and it's the crap racks that secure one wheel IIRC.
    I'd always thought the bike racks at my office (that I use every single day) were taking up 3 underground parking stalls and some of the driving aisle. But I recently stopped and actually looked at them, and it turns out that two racks fitting about 25 bikes easily fit into only 2 parking stalls. And they're not even placed very efficiently, so we could probably fit another rack with 6~12 more if we had to. I was amazed just how much room 2 parking stalls actually provides.

mtbr member
    I work for the AOC House Office building and I take my bike into my Office every day but I don't know if I am really allowed to. I try to live my life by asking for forgiveness instead of permission good luck on the petition if there is sufficient room for the bike I don't see why anyone would or should care.
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2003 Gary Fisher Paragon 29
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2