Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Encounters While Commuting?

Anyone have any stories to share about encounters while commuting?

By encounters, I refer to
    a) Animals
    b) Natives
    c) Hostile natives
    d) Rowdy kids

Any steps you take to protect youself? Pepper spray? Stick? Shotgun on the handle bars? Personally, I figure most of us are whipping by at 15MPH+, so odds of an actual encounter are pretty slim. I ask because I have to ride through a couple, for a lack of better terms, "depressed" areas. Slick and stealthy are my tactics. Most of the time people don't even know I was there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Two knives and a 3.5' chain with a heavy lock. I'm also a total badass. Being peaceful to people is usually the best regardless of how they act.

Token Hillbilly
    For the occasional dog, a good squirt from a water bottle will deter most.

Overall, I haven't had that much problem from people over commuting... barring the coworkers thinking I am crazy, I mean.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Raidero desde Torino
    Apr 2007
    Strangely, the most of the other cyclists that I meet are not "very" willing to either get drafted or to draft me. I expected better from the people down here in Italy.
    Otherwise I ride by 2 gipsy camps and one huge junkie park where I slalom arround siringes. The gipsies are sleeping when I ride by. I have also a dairy farm, where in the gravel road near by I have to slalom arround cow manure....... I have also a Cabrini Green looking place that is soooooooo huuuuglyyyy.

Full of holes
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    A few years ago I almost rode into an elephant. It was from a travelling circus, and was foraging tied to a tree by the side of the road. There was no risk of a collision, but it shocked me to say the least!

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Not my story, but my Dad had a black bear stop in the road and stare him down the other day... it ran off without confrontation :-)

mtbr member
    Is carrying any sort of firearm bordering a bit too much on the psychotic side?

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse

ummmm yeah...... If you're considering a firearm for protection on your commute, you may need to rethink your route... Also, unless it was on your hip it would take too long to access it when you need it.

My 'piece' of mind: Frame Pump.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

nnn
    mtbr member
    Speeding through London with a 29" wheel strapped to my back was ... interesting.

Numerous beer cans/bottles thrown at me, never gave chase - it could be a gun next.

My favourite trick for particularly annoying and obnoxious drivers is to stop in front of them and wait until they get out then ride off, everyone is honking and hating them, they go red in the face and next time I see em they drive surprisingly well...

Faceplanting in front of an entire market street due to a derailleur jam was ....well let's just say I ride singlespeed now
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    Absolutely not. As long as you fit into the category people that carry but never want to use it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the tourists here, they don't like to look where they're going, or use their blinkers. this last time, i stopped the mofo from running into me by wacking the side of his van really hard with my hand. i've promised myself that next time it will be handle bar, or pedal stopping the damn vehicle. i think that, then, the lesson will stick.

have you guys seen this? whaddya think?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/....showdown.king

One What?
    Yesterday I had something interesting happen to me. My son and I were riding back from a parade ( he rides in the baby seat behind me) and I was climbing a hill. On the way up a minivan is coming up behind me and I hear some idiot start yelling something at me. As they come up to pass I hear him apologize for cussing at me because he didn't know I had my son with me. Very strange.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Crazy Deer

Several years back, I was riding and came across a deer running through a big open clearing. It was kind of cool looking, so I kept pace with it (we were both going the same direction, it was about 100 feet off the road.) Having not noticed me, it decided to start running toward the road. I slowed down to let it cross. As it reached the road, it saw me and must have gotten scared. Its legs went splaying out in every direction and it fell on its ass. I think we were both equally shocked. It got up a few seconds later, shook off, and ran into the woods.

Known Mountainbiker
    Nutria aka devil rats. Hate 'em.

Drunken transient panhandlers trying to ask for change as I ride by at 20mph.

A driver that honked and yelled out the window at me as he passed then slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a squirrel. Lucky frick'n squirrel if you ask me. Makes me think maybe I should ride in a squirrel suit.

I carry a cell phone with the cops on speed dial. I file harassment complaints. I will settle out of court under the condition that the driver completes an "anger management" course. Or they go to court, pay fines and have a record just because they couldn't share the road.

When drivers do confront me (non-harassment), I tell them to call the cops if they believe I'm breaking the law. I even offer them the number. They either drive away or assault/harass me in which case, I call the cops. No use trying to take matters into my own hands. I start swinging my frame pump at the wrong person and it could end up in my a$$ and it would be my fault.

My biggest concern on the area bike paths are groups of kids. (we were all kids once) but there's the chance that one of them has something to prove and they'll try to pull some sh!t as I pass. Has never happened though. I do the "slick and stealthy" tactic.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ran over a rattlesnake, it struck at me. Luckily, I was hauling ass.

Head First
    In one ride I saw wild turkeys, deer, rattlesnakes and a coyote with a rabbit in it's mouth. All on a bike trail in the city of Sacramento.

mtbr member

Cop Caught on Video Assaulting Cyclist.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat

By encounters, I refer to
    a) Animals
    b) Natives
    c) Hostile natives
    d) Rowdy kids
    e) NYC Police officers.

This in the news today:

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/28/cop_...lting_cycl.php

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by springbok
    e) NYC Police officers.

This in the news today:

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/28/cop_...lting_cycl.php
    Well it sounds like he's getting what he deserves. The officer's name is Patrick Pogan, he'd been on the job only a couple months. He's now been assigned to desk duty while they do an investigation and will probably be fired. I wonder if this would have happened without the video?

I guess they charged the cyclist with attempted assault and resisting arrest. I'm sure those charges will be dropped given the video though.

mtbr member
    I saw a group of three homeless dudes on the Santa Fe Trail (near America the Beautiful park ) dragging a mattress up the trail with rope handles...and all of their worldly possessions piled on top of the mattress. That was fairly oddball.

About 200yds earlier I had seen a tent set up in the underbrush...must have been their abode.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco

A driver that honked and yelled out the window at me as he passed then slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a squirrel. Lucky frick'n squirrel if you ask me. Makes me think maybe I should ride in a squirrel suit.

Caz
    Funny, there is a local park with a duck pound near my house. The street itself is really narrow, so there are "Share the Road" signs about every 10 feet. One day, I was riding and a woman passes me within inches, yells at me, then 100 feet slams her brakes to avoid hitting a stupid duck, squatting down in the middle of the road. While she is sitting and waiting for this brain-dead duck to move, I pass her within inches to see if she likes it, and I maneuver around the duck. Her horn sounds up like party blowers on New Year's Eve. "You want to try passing me with more room next time, jerk! Better yet, blah blah sidewalk blah!" Funny how drivers think you're attentively listening to their insults.

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    I saw a group of three homeless dudes on the Santa Fe Trail (near America the Beautiful park ) dragging a mattress up the trail with rope handles...and all of their worldly possessions piled on top of the mattress. That was fairly oddball.

About 200yds earlier I had seen a tent set up in the underbrush...must have been their abode.
    Heh, I think I've seen those guys.

No real encounters on my commute but I was riding in a city park early one morning, came whipping around a corner, and there was a tent pitched right in the middle of the trail. Definitely not a camping area, and it was colder then sh!t too. Might have been the mattress guys.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The worst I had was when I was 14. A passenger in a passing car threw a razor blade at me while saying "f*** you white boy." Gave me a little gash on the back of my neck.

Once up in the Catskills driving with my Dad and brother, there was a bear on the road. We stopped to watch it, and it walked around the bend. When a bicyclist came by I yelled out, "There's a bear..."

He must've thought I was being a smartass trying to ruin his groove. Makes sense - I've gotten that, too. But it was pretty funny to see him stop short halfway around the turn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On the trails I've come within inches of colliding with deer a few times, and have had to reroute my ride due to bears and mountain lions. Nothing on the road besides dogs running out of steam and jollies with cyclists in their cars.

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    Cyclists in my area have to be careful of mountain lions. I know of several at the local cycle shop who told me they carry mace.

mtbr member

Animal Encounters

I saw a family of five racoons crossing the road the other day. I've never seen more than one before. They were just walking across the road in a line.

I've been seeing a lot of red foxes lately as well.

The best was the other day when I was on a long off-road climb and red-tailed hawk took off from my right and flew a few feet in front of my face and off to my left. It was amazing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast