mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Encounters with Ignorant Officers

My ride today was a pretty typical one up untill I had an encounter with a city bus. I was riding a six lane road (3 on each side). I take 1/3 of the first lane so people dont try to squeeze through. A bus was behind me and honked, I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. One mile later he pulled left to pass and then started to try to run me off the road. He didn't really scare me so I just stayed there untill he slowed down to drop behind me.
    I then passed the car in front of me while I flipped off the bus driver. The car was an explorer that was an unmarked cop car. He flicked his lights and pulled me over. He said I need to get on to the side walk when cars want to pass and to not flip people off. I said I am legally aloud to ride on the road and this bike is a vehicle, he replyed don't back talk me and repeated to ride on the side walk, and if that's a vehicle it needs to be registered and since it isn't I can impound it. After that I didn't want to call people for a ride so I just nodded and smilled untill he stopped talking.

Braaaapp!
    You don't live in Tucson, do you? I heard a story last year about cops stopping a group of riders and telling them they needed to use the sidewalk, not the road. Of course, it was a one-sided story, they could have been riding 5 wide in 2 lanes and being dinks to everyone for all I know.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Be sure and look into your city, county and state regulations regarding bicycle traffic to be sure you are following the letter of the law. Then keep a copy of them with you at all times. Some members of the law enforcement community are not entirely on top of all the local laws and you may have to occasionally "remind" them.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

I Have Cookies

Ignorant Riders.....

well heres a flip side to this story.....A few weeks ago I wrote a "letter to the editor" about us riders riding with the flow of traffic (somthing that people around here dont like to do for some reason) and you should of seen all the negative feedback I got about my Letter! I guess people like to be ignorant for whatever reason...... I say If you want to smoke crack, smoke crack! As long as you dont bother me with it. But when someone gets hit because they choose to ride apposing traffic then maybe people will see the multiple dangers in it until then they will just be "Riding on barrowed time" (a quote from my letter)
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes I have read the Traffic Code for my state, California. After I was done talking to the cop, i was thinking man it would be nice to have a bunch of post cards with the info I need because there was no way I was going to win that argument. I notified the the metro about the bus driver trying to run me off the road. I don't like to ride on the road just as drivers don't like me there. Till the state does something and puts a bike lane in I take the lane and let people get pissed. My life trumps any drivers inconvenience of going around me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Be sure and look into your city, county and state regulations regarding bicycle traffic to be sure you are following the letter of the law. Then keep a copy of them with you at all times. Some members of the law enforcement community are not entirely on top of all the local laws and you may have to occasionally "remind" them.
    +1. I know where I live it is against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk in the city limits. Knowing the law is key and keeping a copy of it with you is a great idea.

jrm
    mtbr member

i had a oakland cop yell stop sign

[at me as i rolled through it. Then he caught up to me in his car and pulls aside and sez " you know i wouldnt have stopped either if i was riding a bike" .
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm kind of amazed that a cop in SoCal would tell you as an adult to ride on the sidewalk. The only exception would be if the "street" you were on was some sort of restricted access expressway. I've seen a few of those, and they are almost like short pieces of freeway.

But never argue with a cop. It just doesn't get you anywhere you want to go.

LCI #1853
    One of the most important things you can pack along with you on a ride is a cell phone.

Get the guy's patrol car or badge number and call the Chief of Police with a complaint. "I thought you guys train your officers in traffic law? "

In most cities a city ordinance bans riding on the sidewalks in business and commercial areas; though it's usually allowable in residential zones. But as a general thing. cops do not get a lot of education or exposure to traffic law other than what they can write a ticket for and make it stick.

Call the bus company, and report that goober, too. They may not do anything about it, but it helps establish a pattern of abuse.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    [SIZE="1"](with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)[/SIZE]

weirdo
    JD, other than the bird, I`d say you did everything right, if that makes you feel any better. Sometimes the shaft goes around and you get a piece of it. Like No-trash says, it`s probably a good idea to reasearch the local regs also because ya never know if they`re going to have some goofy difference from the state law. If you had some kind of little card like you were wishing for and it happened to be printed and distributed by a governing body, you`d be all set. If nothing like that exists where you are, at least some kind of printed out web page with the appropriate statute numbers might keep you out of having to take off work to see the judge. Couldn`t hurt, anyway. Here (Reno NV), we have a little booklet with a condensed version of the state regs concerning bicycles. It isn`t "official" by any means, but it gives me a little reassurance. As it happens, a bike cop gave it to me a couple years ago- pretty cool of him.. Better luck tommorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't flick people off. Read all your local laws and keep a copy of them with you. Check into some of the other laws pertaining to traffic impediment as well. Here in Wisconsin a bicycle can impede traffic as the law states that motor vehicles cannot. A bicycle is only a vehicle. I had a worthless piece of **** cop tell me that bicycles are not traffic. Sgt. Weber is his name, not understanding the law and refusing to read it is his game.