Moderator Moderator

"Embarrasment Finds me on Virtually Every Ride"

Facing Reality as a Twin Cities Bike Commuter

Facing reality as a Twin Cities bike commuter | StarTribune.com

mtbr member
    That made me realize that the only thing worse than a cat6 racer, is a cat6 racer who is apparently terrible at it and then whines about that to people.

Natural Born Killer
    He said he "sometimes commutes by bike". Sounds like he needs to ride more, or whine less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Eeyore rides a bike!
    There’s the relatively new “commuting” bike (purchased, unsuccessfully, to try to avoid scenes like the aforementioned), the clip-in biking shoes, the shorts, the gloves, an aerodynamic helmet.
    Seriously? To commute? I'd be embarrassed too if I dressed up like a time trial racer and putted along at 12mph. No wonder nobody talks to him, he looks like a dweeb.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Maybe I missed something, but I don't see anything that implies he was much of a cyclist before commuting. Sounds like he went to the bike shop and walked out with roadie gear, thinking speed comes free with the gear, and is now realizing that he's out of shape?
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    It is just supposed to be a cute "lifestyle" article, so of course it's meant to be dumb. But the author has apparently decided that commuting is a race, and is judging people for being better at that race than he is, even though those people probably aren't actually racing.

mtbr member
    The older gent in the 3-piece who zipped by may actually be a senior-class racer who has raced since his teens and he is just tooling along. Guys like this is how nice bikes end up on CL. I only race against myself and traffic. The rest of my attention is on the Zen of cycling. Who needs or wants conversation when in "the Zone"? Acknowledgment, friendly exchange, OK. A chat as with a friend over a beer? No. He needed to come to this forum as a newbie.

mtbr member
    The first and best defense against embarrassment is to first discard all shame. If he's commuting 6 miles in full on kit including the aerodynamic helmet, he's already 95% there. Heck, there's no shame in being slow, unless you got caught being slow after bragging about how fast you/the bike/new wheels are. Besides for others to care about how you look or how fast you are, they first have to acknowledge your existence, and there's no evidence anybody cares about him on the road.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Ex-Clydesdale
    I forgot to mention in my post that based on my impression of him not being a cyclist, I'm guessing that the "aerodynamic" helmet is just a regular road helmet with plenty of scoops, not the time trial type. What's regular to us is fancy and aerodynamic to someone new.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I figured it was that too but it is fun to poke fun at him from my high horse . It would be pretty funny to see somebody poking along at 12mph on their commute in one of these: "Embarrasment Finds me on Virtually Every Ride"-bell-meteor-ii-time-trial-helmet.jpg

mtbr member
    When I first read the article I pictured him with the uber-slick helmet, til I reread the part about being new to riding. Thing is though, I'd have more respect for him if he did wear one and rode slow, then I'd figure he was on a recovery ride (unless he were on a beach cruiser or something ).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd wear it commuting. Would look pretty slick cruising the farmers market

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    the pointy end is the front, particularly slick backwards with ape hangers and no front wheel and maybe a codpiece as you run a red and give anyone who meets your gaze the withering stare from behind your shades.
    I think the inclination to speed up when overtaken is a basic animal instinct we learn to suppress once we realize we're not going to get devoured by a pack of wolves if we're last.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I figured it was that too but it is fun to poke fun at him from my high horse . It would be pretty funny to see somebody poking along at 12mph on their commute in one of these: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell-meteor-ii-time-trial-helmet.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	811248
    Hey...I wear one of those everyday on my commute and since I started wearing it I've shaved .00000000012 seconds off of my overall commute time. Up next? Leg shaving for that elusive .00000000000000000000000000000000000000001 second I'm trying to lose.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I just cut out the cookies for a week and that did it but it's not sustainable

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Hey...I wear one of those everyday on my commute and since I started wearing it I've shaved .00000000012 seconds off of my overall commute time. Up next? Leg shaving for that elusive .00000000000000000000000000000000000000001 second I'm trying to lose.

Never did understand the whole leg shaving thing. If smooth legs were that important, why not some stockings or something like that? Yeah stockings and garters with shorts sounds.....kinda slinky and trashy...just the way I like it!

Moderator Moderator
    I know how he feels. On this hot day I was passed on the hill by a guy in jeans, longsleeve oxford shirt, baseball cap, what looked like a 3rd grader's backpack, and a shopping bag on the bars. He was on a Nishiki that probably cost $500 max and it probably had knobbies too. I felt only marginally better when he turned off onto a dead end street only 1/2 mile up the hill.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Never did understand the whole leg shaving thing. If smooth legs were that important, why not some stockings or something like that? Yeah stockings and garters with shorts sounds.....kinda slinky and trashy...just the way I like it!
    No hair is better for massages and cleaning out road rash, the origin is in road racing. Just kind of trickles down from there. Hair for life for me, keeps me warm in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I just cut out the cookies for a week and that did it but it's not sustainable
    I didn't eat cookies and chocolate for a week once, too.

It was the worst week of my life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Never did understand the whole leg shaving thing.
    Yes, I understood this as a way to make road rash easier to treat. I got a gouge on the lip above the mustache, so maybe being hirsute would stave off minor road rash and the gorilla look might repel people so they maintain a safe distance, too!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I know how he feels. On this hot day I was passed on the hill by a guy in jeans, longsleeve oxford shirt, baseball cap, what looked like a 3rd grader's backpack, and a shopping bag on the bars. He was on a Nishiki that probably cost $500 max and it probably had knobbies too. I felt only marginally better when he turned off onto a dead end street only 1/2 mile up the hill.
    I like to think that such people have only ridden a mile or two and not my 25 to 30. Salves the soul. The low number of riders here saves me a lot of this sort of thing. So less cyclist aware drivers due to lower exposure but less personal embarrassment by having octogenarians pass me on cargo bikes.

mtbr member
    "Few bike commuters take it easy; few seem to enjoy the scenery, and no one engages in conversation"
    ...probably because they $&!# to do. That's why they're commuting.

Maybe the author needs to worry less about his gear and less about other riders and just go knock out some miles. Fancy clothes and shiny gear are nice, but you still can't buy speed. (well, maybe down on Lake St.)
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The writer didn't realize he may have been the fastest 50 year old in his locality. Maybe he's in denial that he's 50 years old and still sees himself as a (slow) 30 year old?