Thread: Egged

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Egged

Anyone else ever been egged during your commute?

New PB for completing my hill climb, but I lost the turds in a Subdivision.

Oh well, I guess Eggs happen

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was just road riding when the high school got out and some dumb kids through a pencil at me but it missed, they got the finger.

A minute later a pickup drove by and yelled something at me so they got the finger treatment and they started slowing down, so I called there bluff and waved my hand as if to tell them to pull over and started pedaling faster off the seat and they ended up driving away.

Usually now I let it go, but if I got eggs id probably get pissed again.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    *sigh* I hate teens-with-something-to-prove. They worry me more then all the dogs and cars when I'm riding on the road.

I'd be super pissed.

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm
    I was just road riding when the high school got out and some dumb kids through a pencil at me but it missed, they got the finger.

A minute later a pickup drove by and yelled something at me so they got the finger treatment and they started slowing down, so I called there bluff and waved my hand as if to tell them to pull over and started pedaling faster off the seat and they ended up driving away.

Usually now I let it go, but if I got eggs id probably get pissed again.
    You get treated nicer when you use all of your fingers when you wave... not just the middle one...

weirdo
    You guys get all the fun. I never even get flipped off.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Anyone else ever been egged during your commute?

New PB for completing my hill climb, but I lost the turds in a Subdivision.

Oh well, I guess Eggs happen

Stosh
    That's a load of crap.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

nnn
    mtbr member
    We're not all provilidged enough to ride in dreamy-land, you'll be amazed what a bunch of idiots smacked out of their heads will do from their cars...
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    I got pelted with balls of playdough a few weeks ago, they leave nice welts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You know now that I have had several hours to stew or cool off, I seem to be flipping between the two. I wonder what I would have done spur of the moment if I had of caught them. I mean considering the night I had, I would hate to have vented on any of the morons in that minivan.

I have been yelled at, single fingered, honked at, this was a first........ maybe a last.

Well like I said, I at least got a really good hill climb out of it.

Stosh

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Well like I said, I at least got a really good hill climb out of it.

Stosh
    well, you seem to have a pretty good attitude about it. as we all know; "$#!+ happens." You can be angry at the world, or you can search for positives and move on.

hopefully those kids find a better way to spend their time.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got hit onetime with a coin or something, couldn't tell what it was. So I got the plate number down called the cops and when the cops caught them a few blocks later with a tip I think they pointed a gun at me. I just laughed and waived as I passed them sitting on the curb in handcuffs.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I've had cans tossed from vehicles and had folks egg on their dogs at me, but never been egged. Even witnessed a guy take a swerve at my wife while she was on her bike (he's lucky I was more concerned about her than catching him!).

Funny thing is... the two young guys in the sport truck that chucked the can seemed to be very shy when I caught up to them at the next light (both maybe 18, 140 lbs soaking wet...I'm 6' 235 and look very much like a cop).

Oh well. Some people are just jerks, but life goes on.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Call the police.

I don't flick people off anymore, I give them a thumbs down.

BIG and Bald
    Loaded paintball guns fit quite nicely on a top tube or the handlebars.
    Eat to Live...not the other way around

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Worst I get are the moron cars who sit and beep their horns until you look back and acknowledge them. They get the finger, and if their window is open, a quick talk about "Don't honk at the bikers!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Comptiger5000, go read BikeSnobNYC. He's pretty sure that horns are magical buttons that can change reality.

Weekend Warrior
    Where is the respect nowadays. I couldn't have imagined disrespecting an adult when I was a kid.

Here in Florida however, there are punks that are brave when they sit in a car. My cop buddy and I were driving in my car and at the light just as it turn green the punk throws a McD's cup of soda out of the sunroof just as things start moving. So we followed them for about 2 miles until the next light, they were running their mouths, unbelievable the language that came out of them. When we finally stopped my buddy gets out of the car, flashes his badge and they turned as white as a piece of paper. He got them out of the car with my gun in his hand, called one of his buddies in a Sheriffs car, and had them sitting in handcuffs for about 15 minutes on the curb while a police dog was going through their car.

They weren't going to hold those kids anyways (unless they found something), but I bet you that scare shut their mouths up for good (i hope). After I washed my car we had a good chuckle and a beer. We should have called their parents just to add insult to injury.

BIG and Bald
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    We should have called their parents just to add insult to injury.

You would have just gotten accused of harrassing minors and sued.
    Eat to Live...not the other way around

Ovaries on the Outside
    The last weekend my roommate and I were biking home and he was hit by an egg and I regularly get the drive by and a shout. I avoid reacting, but I do try and keep pace the best I can so I can talk about it with them at the next light, or better yet, if they pull into their house.

But really, biking is such a blissful experience that I can't complain about the few times I've had crap thrown at me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    .... at the light just as it turn green the punk throws a McD's cup of soda out of the sunroof just as things start moving. So we followed them for about 2 miles until the next light......

After I washed my car we had a good chuckle and a beer. We should have called their parents just to add insult to injury.
    Do we assume your car got hit with the drink, then? Or you just happened to need a car wash?

I got "coined" the other night. Didn't stop to see how much I was worth.
    Where am I? And how the hell did I get here?

knock-knock...
    i got bottled a while ago, gave them a wave towards the side of the road. they came around the block, and i got a rock (thankfully that missed). then after some arm motions they stopped and some guy got out of the car. i came up and he was yelling about a fight till hsi friends told him to get back in the car.
    I think one of them saw my little buck strapped to the top tube
    id never use it, but it makes an excellent bluff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000
    Worst I get are the moron cars who sit and beep their horns until you look back and acknowledge them. They get the finger, and if their window is open, a quick talk about "Don't honk at the bikers!"
    If their window is open spray them with warm sticky gatorade.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008

Good job! Water in the driver's face is a good method!

Quote Originally Posted by I like to bike
    If their window is open spray them with warm sticky gatorade.

HAHA! That's my method too, except I usually only have water. And I only do that when I am really harassed. And actually I've only done this twice (water in the face, that is), with the last time being the most eventful.

You can't get into conversations/arguments with these people. And that is never my intention anyway, so if they roll down the window and start going on about how bikes should be on the sidewalk, I just squirt them in the face with some water and ride off. If it gets there clothes all wet, even better.

Even if they don't have their window up, the least you could do is squirt some water on there windshield. I've done this a few times. It's very passive agressive, and boy does it seem to get the blood pressure up. Come on! It's just a little water! But it is pretty funny to see how the driver overreacts.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    ...I think one of them saw my little buck strapped to the top tube...makes an excellent bluff.
    You're serious? How does that joke go, "...brought a knife to a gun fight." You could have been beaten, shot, who knows. Lots of martial arts types and ex-military can de-knife you in a single move. Good luck, hope you never have to find out how well your bluff really works

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    ...it is pretty funny to see how the driver overreacts.
    Did one of them ever "overreact" by pulling a gun? Or trying to run you over? Jump out of the car and come at you with a baseball bat? Google "road rage" for a daily update...Good luck

ONe less gear
    I love this talk. I think it is getting me ready for when I get back to the States. I am in Okinawa and my commute is on an Air Force Base, so I don't get the attitudes or even horn blasts. Even when I go downtown and around the island there is no static anywhere.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Did one of them ever "overreact" by pulling a gun? Or trying to run you over? Jump out of the car and come at you with a baseball bat? Google "road rage" for a daily update...Good luck

Well, it would be a good idea to, at least, have a good look at the driver 1st. You know, size him up. If you think he can't match you, then I say to just let him have it. Squirting water at someone who was abusive to you is fair game in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160

...one of them saw my little buck strapped to the top tube
    id never use it, but it makes an excellent bluff.
    Using such a "bluff" is a good way to find yourself with your own knife sticking out of your ear.

I don't commute per se, but I do use one of my bikes to shuttle between my offices in the Birmingham, AL area at times. Given that B'ham is typically one of the top 10 murder rate cities in the nation, a handgun in a fanny pack accompanies me on every trip. I refuse to let the thugs win, and I have had to go guns-up once so far.

MikeN

Frt Range, CO
    Well, it would be a good idea to, at least, have a good look at the driver 1st. You know, size him up. If you think he can't match you, then I say to just let him have it. Squirting water at someone who was abusive to you is fair game in my opinion.

I'm sorry but your thinking isn't very clear. How the hell can you "size someone up", anyone can carry a gun. Go after a woman, she shoots you, I'm betting she get's off based on self defense. Even worse with a knife, "Officer, I was scared, saw he had a knife and I shot him." Someone's gonna get hurt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm sorry but your thinking isn't very clear. How the hell can you "size someone up", anyone can carry a gun. Go after a woman, she shoots you, I'm betting she get's off based on self defense. Even worse with a knife, "Officer, I was scared, saw he had a knife and I shot him." Someone's gonna get hurt.
    When I started this thread my thinking was not very clear, I was 'upset' at being EGGED. Within a few minutes of getting home I started to wonder what I really would have done if I had of caught the car, I almost did not start the thread. I have to admit playing it back in my head if the jerk had of fallen out of the minivan after he threw I would have stopped and laughed. A lot.

Things would have escaleted from there, but oh well EGG happens.

Stosh

Bikeoholic
    If anyone ever hit me with anything I'd get their license plate number and a pic of their car if I had time. I'd stay at the scene until the police arrived if I had time if I didn't I'd still follow up.

I wouldn't do anything like flip them off or even acknowledge them that could be seen as provoking the attack.

If you don't do anything about it (other than flip them off) just think that next time it could be worse or something bigger. An attack is an attack and it could escalate over time if nothing happens the the A$$hats who do it.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by centerridgerider
    If anyone ever hit me with anything I'd get their license plate number and a pic of their car if I had time. I'd stay at the scene until the police arrived if I had time if I didn't I'd still follow up.

I wouldn't do anything like flip them off or even acknowledge them that could be seen as provoking the attack.

If you don't do anything about it (other than flip them off) just think that next time it could be worse or something bigger. An attack is an attack and it could escalate over time if nothing happens the the A$$hats who do it.

Things are already escalated when a driver throws something at a rider. How does that driver know that the rider isn't mad and is going to take it out on them? My "squirting water in the driver's face" method is a lesser reaction to the initial throwing of an object out of the window by the driver. Basically, the driver is just asking for it when he instigates it.

Be careful drivers! You don't know what kind of road rage you are about to get from riders who constantly take abuse from other drivers. One day, that rider is going to snap and go postal on you! Take it from me, you don't want to snap at a driver and hurt him. However, a little water isn't going to hurt anybody!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I got hit by a flying carls junior cheeseburger the other night. I tried to keep up but on my mt bike it was impossible. Had I caught up to them I would probably would not have had the energy to defend myself anyway. (might have been a different story on my road bike) not only did the flying burger hit me in the kidneys, it stank like nothing I have ever smelled before. I thought about keepin gthe wrapper for the police to fingerprint but figured why wast taxpayers money on that

mtbr member
    I got hit by a large hoagie roll one time. I thought it was pretty funny.
    And a good day to you sir!

Now with 10% more!

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by nucmedjim
    I got hit by a large hoagie roll one time. I thought it was pretty funny.
    I'm willing to bet it's nearly impossible to get you angry....

squish is good
    Basically, the driver is just asking for it when he instigates it.
    So your willing to escalate a confrontation with an individual driving a multi ton death machine? I think squirting water in someones face is beyond a bad idea.

Be careful drivers! You don't know what kind of road rage you are about to get from riders who constantly take abuse from other drivers. One day, that rider is going to snap and go postal on you!
    What are you gonna do? Jump in through their window and beat them with your mini pump? I'm sorry but I don't really think the macho-cyclist image is working here. Not saying that we shouldn't stand up for ourselves but intentionally pissing off a driver when we are in an incredibly vulnerable position with no real means of defending ourselves just doesn't sound like a good idea. If it makes your ego feel better, keep spraying water, I don't recommend it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I suggest wrapping the shoulder strap around their neck

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    So your willing to escalate a confrontation with an individual driving a multi ton death machine? I think squirting water in someones face is beyond a bad idea.

What are you gonna do? Jump in through their window and beat them with your mini pump? I'm sorry but I don't really think the macho-cyclist image is working here. Not saying that we shouldn't stand up for ourselves but intentionally pissing off a driver when we are in an incredibly vulnerable position with no real means of defending ourselves just doesn't sound like a good idea. If it makes your ego feel better, keep spraying water, I don't recommend it.

I must admit. I got a good laugh out of your comment... "What are you gonna do? Jump in through their window and beat them with your mini pump? " Well, no. Not quite. I'm not going to hit anyone with any mini-pump. Maybe if I had a full-sized pump, but then it would really depend on if it was carbon fiber or not.

Anyway, I don't suggest hitting anyone, or any sort of violence. If you prefer, I really like passive aggressive ways to blow off some steam. OK, so you don't like the squirting of the water idea on the driver. OK, so just squirt some water on the windshield. Driver throws something out the window, you can squirt some water on his windshield. I've done this before and drivers get REALLY mad. It's funny. At least, I think it is. I mean, water! What's the big deal? It never hurt anyone, but these idiot drivers act like it's melting their car!

PS- don't make conversation with these guys. You never win. So, after the water is squirted (on the car or driver). Secretly dig that key really hard into the door panel. As the driver speeds off enraged, you will leave a nice reminder for him when he gets home to never ever harass or throw anything at another cyclist! No violence. Totally passive aggressive techniques. A+ in my book!

Frt Range, CO
    Bee, where do you live? How old are you?

I live in the Chicago 'burbs, you'd be lucky to last a week with your "passive aggressive" technique. I'm 47 now, lucky I didn't get killed when I was young a stupid. I hope nobody follows your lead and gets hurt. You aren't doing your fellow commuters any favors. When the keyed driver gets home and figures out what happened, they'll hold a grudge for years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think technology is going to 'eventually' even out the playing field. A buddy of mine this past weekend showed me a i-pod sized video camera that records 1 hr. of video, all compressed in a 2gb chip. Just like cop cars have been using cameras so effectively, more and more folks will get them mounted in cars and maybe on bikes (or helmets).

Let's face it, whether in a car or on a bike, if someone gets video'd pulling some real prick sheeet (which we've all seen) then the police and/or insurance company and/or attorney loves ya.......

I'm not a 'big brother' fan, but sometimes there is no other way to make people accountable for their actions, if I squirted water in someone's face I'd expect to get hurt badly by a 4,000 lb. rolling piece of steel

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Bee, where do you live? How old are you?

I live in the Chicago 'burbs, you'd be lucky to last a week with your "passive aggressive" technique. I'm 47 now, lucky I didn't get killed when I was young a stupid. I hope nobody follows your lead and gets hurt. You aren't doing your fellow commuters any favors. When the keyed driver gets home and figures out what happened, they'll hold a grudge for years.

Pursuiter,
    I'm not young enough that I'd do something stupid and suggest arguing with angry motorists. And I'm not old enough to stupidly believe in laying down and taking a beating, or in this case, an "egging". In fact, your methods will more likely result in escalation of matters than mine. You suggest having "intelligent conversations" with road raged drivers as if you will pacify them. Yeah, right! I don't believe in that because 100% of the time, these so-called conversations are really just arguments that further enrage the driver. I don't support that.

I do, however, support passive aggressive methods of getting the point across. The keying of the car is effective. No words are exchanged. No threats of violence exchanged. In fact, the driver has no idea of what happened until he learns his lessons when he looks at his car later that day. Or, you squirt some water on the driver's windshield. So what? It's just water. Basically, I'm not going to cower to anyone throwing an egg or any other object at me. And if they can dish it, but can't receive it... who's fault is it then? That's what I thought.

Frt Range, CO
    ...your methods will more likely result in escalation of matters than mine. You suggest having "intelligent conversations" with road raged drivers as if you will pacify them....
    Never said anything of the sort. I recommend you look the other way and move on. Enraged people I just met on the side of the road aren't the kind of folks I spend ANY time on. Good luck, I hope other riders don't have to pay for your choices.

mtbr member
    I think the day is coming, quickly, that I snap on one of these drivers. Where I live, we are getting more and more bike lanes, taking traffic from 2 lanes each way down to one wide lane plus the bike lane, each way. I'm finding more and more drivers yelling and names calling cyclists (me). Last night I made it no more 100 meters from my front door when I got yelled at; someone yelled "F A G" from a car that passed me traveling the same direction. And the car passed within mere inches of me. Well, about 2 feet. The road was other wise empty. My rear red flashy thing is extremely bright, visible for many many hundreds of meters. I have two equally bright Cateye LED headlights. I was fully visible, so coming that close to me on an empty road (one lane each way, no bike lane) was unacceptable. On top of that, the driver felt it necessary to yell out his sexual orientation as if I cared!

The day is coming.... I will react in "negative" way very soon. I have a bad temper when provoked enough but my fuse is very long, it takes a lot to ruffle me. Squirting water just won't do it either. Keying the perpetrators paint may be enough to fulfill my angers wishes, I hope.
    Where am I? And how the hell did I get here?

Members who have read this thread: 0