Dumping the Pompetamine. Replacing it.

My Pompetamine has spent more time in the workstand this year than on the road. This bike has been a series of compromises I'm unwilling to make anymore. The biggest one being the way the rear disc caliper mount and the rear dropout play together (or not).

Lately, I got fed up with changing pads so often, so I swapped forks for one with more clearance so I had room for adapters to run the original Avid 6 bolt rotors with a Centerlock adapter. Doing that, the front wheel set up beautifully. But it completely jacked up the rear end.

With the Shimano rotors on it, I was resigned to the fact that the pads would hang off the rotors, so I wasn't picky as long as the whole braking surface on the rotors was being used. Going to the Avid rotors means I need to be more precise to avoid pad overhang (the whole point of changing rotors). Well, the bike is making it impossible to to set it up correctly.

I finally found a chaintug that worked on the frame (it even has a derailleur hanger, so I don't have to worry about dropout position to set chain tension). Unfortunately, the adjustment supposedly built into the rear caliper mount is mostly unusable. I cannot set the caliper to line up with the rotor without interference problems SOMEWHERE.

I've decided to cut my losses. I'm going to be tearing the bike down this week and selling the frame off (and a few other items) to fund the purchase of a new frameset. Something with regular vertical dropouts that isn't going to create a fiddly adjustment nightmare. I work at a shop, so I can get discounts on a handful of options.

I'm thinking about possibly a Surly Straggler or maybe a Salsa Vaya or something along those lines. I think I can also use my discount on a Soma Doublecross. Basically, with all the components I have, it needs to be a disc-compatible frame with the ability to take 135mm rear hub spacing. To keep costs down, I will probably keep it singlespeed for now...but I've been thinking about going to a 1x10.

Moderator Moderator
    Out of up to 10 bikes in the rack at work, one or two are usually Vayas, so perhaps that's saying something. They work an earlier schedule than me, so I haven't actually talked to the owners.

Dumping the Pompetamine. Replacing it.

One of my coworkers has a vaya. I have looked hard at it. Room for cushy tires, fenders, and rack. No funky component fit issues. Comfy geometry.

A God Without A Name
    Well, My reasoning for wanting the Straggler over the Double Cross is Surly's investment cast drop outs vs Soma's breezer drop outs+ weird cut out brake mounts.

though the Soma brake location seems like a better idea...
    Name:  soma_dcd_gold_dropout400.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  59.0 KB
    Dumping the Pompetamine.  Replacing it.-surly2014-14.jpg
    the surly rear end looks a bit sturdier, less cheap.

though both bikes are in truth awesome and I'll be happy to own either, the straggler won me over on a lot of little things.

that being said, breezer drop outs look to need less adjustment than the Surly set up.

Best of luck.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Interesting, my pompinos on CL as we speak. Selling it b/c it cant even come close to versatility ive found with my swobo crosby. It really sucks that swobo chose to discontinue the crosby. If you can find one they come up every once and while on CL or RBR and come cheap.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys