mtbr member
    Apr 2006

dry shoes/feet in the rain?

So, today was my second day of commuting to work. There was a very light rain on the way there. I have Shimano MW81 winter shoes, they have GoreTex and a neoprene cuff for my ankles.

By the time I got to work, they were soaked though. This confuses me, as they were only subjected to light rain and the occasional puddle splash.

They were damp when I left work as I couldnt find a way to fully dry them, and the rain was harder on the way home, so when I took my shoes off tonight, I was able to actually pour water out of them.

Apparently GoreTex doesn't mean the same thing on these shoes as on my jacket, so what is out there to prevent a soaking wet foot? I'm not sure if I should be looking at cycling gear or hiking or snowshoeing gear, but I assume there are shoe covers of some sort?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

sheep in FOX clothing
    I have MW80s, but this will still apply, I suspect:

The top cuff (the neoprene part) isn't waterproof. The rest of the shoe is.

If your rainpants aren't long enough to keep the top of the shoe dry, and most aren't, water will get in and wet up your sock, and it's game over.

I cut off an old pair of neoprene overboots to make gaiters, and my feet have stayed dry since then.

A pair of mini-gaiters for trail running shoes should do the job too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is it possible the water got in at the ankle? How much water poured out?

you were wearing WINTER shoes in the rain. no way I'd be wearing something like that in above-freezing temps. I have my bets that the water you poured out was at least partly your own sweat. Also, there is a good chance water came in through the ankle, or possibly through the bottom (many shoes have vents down there, and if not, the plate where the cleat attached is a possible point of entry).

The comment about shorty gaiters is a good one. I have a pair of old EMS Schoeller softshell gaiters. They're almost as waterproof as GTX, even though they're not marketed as being "waterproof", I can submerge them stomping through a creek and still stay dry.

Do you have mudflaps on your fenders? I have found that without a flap on the front hanging within a couple inches of the ground, the spray from my tire splashing through puddles aims perfectly to drench my shoes when my feet are at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Under that abuse, few WPB membranes will be able to keep the water out forever.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you have full fenders?

Assuming that, you can get your shoes to dry out faster by using newspaper wadded up inside.

I used flats and lightweight hiking boots for commuting in the crappier weather and my feet stay pretty dry. They're water resistant, not water proof - having full-coverage fenders is key.

Also, make sure your rain paints are draining into your shoes.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I figured it out thanks to your replies- I was wearing tights that ended right above my socks, and my socks got soaked and were wicking down into my shoes. That, plus I am working on getting my proper full-fenders added on, so in the meantime I'm using these fenders and I think they were probably making things worse for my feet.

So ultimately, it was that I overpowered the shoes on the outside and then also the socks brought tons of water in lol. It wasn't the temperature, I was wearing thin socks and my feet weren't hot, I learned when I should and shouldn't wear the MW81's because I tend to run hotter than most people.

Thanks guys! It never occurred to me that not wearing rain pants down past my shoes would help. Or rain pants/gaiters. Derp.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 12-09-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

sheep in FOX clothing
    When my MW80s were new they would actually keep my feet dry when I was walking in water, provided it didn't reach the cuff.

There is a small leak in the right toe now that they are 5 or 6 years old, but nothing that I'd notice during ordinary rides in the rain.

mtbr member
    full fenders will go a long way. I suspect most of the water in your shoes is not sweat and not from rain running directly into your shoe, but water being splashed up from the ground by your tires. that rain water on the ground is mixed with car gunk, dog piss, and Lord-only-knows what else. so in addition to getting wet, you are working your skin into blisters and rubbing dog-piss water in them. ew! get some full fenders asap.