Thread: drop down bars?

ONe less gear

drop down bars?

I am thinking about drop down bars or moustache bars for my commuter. How would I use my hydraulic brake levers? Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Very simply put....

you wouldn't be able to on a drop bar. To my knowledge no one currently makes a master cylendar for hydro discs that is compatable with a drop bar. There are mechanical disc calipers out there that are compatable with road levers, but that gets a bit spendy just to switch over to a drop bar.

However many moustache bars, like the Soma Sparrow and others are compatable with MTB levers, grips, and shifters. It just depends on the design of the bar. You wouldn't have as many positioning options as you would with a road brake lever, but it would work.

Unfortunately the choice of hydraulic disc brakes does limit your choices of bars. And again unfortunately, I don't think we'll see too much in the development of hydro road brakes and levers until the UCI (road and cyclocross race sanctioning body) gets their collective heads out of the 1950's and okays disc brakes for racing. I don't think you'd see them on many road race bikes (too heavy), but I know a few cyclocrossers that would love to be able to use them.
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

jrm
    mtbr member

How about

Quote Originally Posted by bugly64
    I am thinking about drop down bars or moustache bars for my commuter. How would I use my hydraulic brake levers? Any suggestions?
    a mungo bar or a unsidedown mary bar..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Trekking bar perhaps?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I went through this same search a few weeks ago and the closest thing I found to a drop bar that is compatible with MTB brake levers is the soma sparrow bar as an earlier poster said. I ended up with a Midge bar becasue I run mechanical discs so I just got some compatible road levers.

mtbr member
    Does the clamp for your levers open all the way up? If so, why not just mount them to the flat part of the drop bar?
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er