• no

13 22.41%
  • I wish I saw someone else on my commute

29 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    enlightened.
    Dec 2005

draft or not to draft?

Prompted by another thread and my own pet peeve; do you draft others while commuting or allow them to draft you? I'm not taking about your neighbor but total and complete strangers.

I for one get a little upset. I don't know you and this isn't a group ride. Get off my butt.

Pedaler of dirt
    I've drafted and I've been drafted, doesn't bother me and I don't think I've ever upset the guy in front. Plus it's usually only for a mile or so before one of us breaks off for our own route home.

A even better draft are trucks and buses which can be a great pull home.

squish is good
    I draft cars, usually not random cyclists though.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I draft whenever possible, cars, buses, old ladies, whatever's moving faster than I am. I only let cute girls draft me of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I only draft cars. I never see anyone, and I'm usually going faster than anyone else if I do. Drafting cars can be a bit difficult on a fixed gear because I still have to spin hard.

Double-metric mtb man
    It's not overly often that it is an option on my commute, but for some of my longer rides to trailheads or my occasional epic, drafting definitely has its place.

On a road century on the mtb last year, I was very happy to peloton up with a couple roadies for a few km's. They were going my way and were happy to have someone to chat with (and ended up picking their jaws off the top tubes when they found out I was doing a Century). I was very happy to draft and give my tired legs a bit of a chance to recover.

Cars and buses are a lot easier to draft and I try to be nice when it comes to random drafting fellow cyclists (pulling and drafting equally).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

There is a sort of....

"draft etiquette" that should be observed if it's not a race or a group ride with people you know.

It's rather fluid, but the idea is do unto others...etc.

If you are riding along and someone snugs up on your rear wheel and sits there, then they are indicating their willingness to draft off of you. Therefore they should be willing to take their turn as puller. After a bit simply move aside and slow down a bit. If they fall in behind again their being an ass, so either drop them or just slow down until they pass. If they move up and slide in then they are agreeing to the setup so get the "train" going. If they try to drop you, then you're well rid of them anyway so let em go.

If you are initiating the draft then pay attention to the rider in front. If he speeds up and tires to drop you then back off or pass him. If he stays put then after a bit move out and up and take your turn, if you don't, then you are being an ass and should be kicked! If he slows down then pass, if he slides in behind then take a turn for a while then see if he'll pull by slowing a bit and moving to the side. If he dosn't then guess what...ass time again so drop him or make him pass.

Of course there's always the more formal way of setting it up. Strike up a conversation and ask. Howdy, sure is windy. Where you headed, wanna team up for a bit and kick this wind...or something similar.

I've had more fun commuting this way on windy days. Usually end up with three or four in the train and it makes things go so much easier. And you do meet new people and make new friend while your at it.

But just to start drafting off of another rider without paying attention to their wants, or saying something is rude.

What I'll usually do is drop in on the rear and rest for a few minutes. If the rider up front doesn't get annoyed or try to shake the draft I'll call rider up. If they move off I'll take the lead and let them fall in. From the it's usually all fun.

As for cars, trucks, busses, etc., who cares. As long as you're being safe they've got the power to spare. Unfortunately for my commute most vehicles move too fast to keep up with, so it isn't an option.

The bottom line is it's rude to draft uninvited, or without setting it up with the other rider. And it can be done with no words spoken if you pay attention to the other rider. He'll let you know one way or another. I've found that most experienced riders will welcome the company and the chance to team up, rest a bit and make the commute faster. Some though are just jerks. Those are the ones you either drop or set the pace so slow that they just move off. It's just a matter of give a little and get a little.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't mind if people draft off me, but as the last poster mentioned it is nice to have a little conversation rather then just some sort of follower on my wheel.

The funny commuters are those that either don't want to talk and are too scared to draft or pull. And those that try to keep others from passing by speeding up. I always try to say hello to any and all bike commuters I see or ride with. If someone wants to draft off me for a while I don't mind too much. I see my commutes as mini intervals in a way. I try to work hard on my commutes getting some exercise and working off stress from the day. I don't get to do that many multiple hour long distance training rides with my work, family, and school schedule.

I do like to burn past those peeps who refuse to say hi and who feel like they have try and prove something. Especially when the person I am passing is all done up in cycling gear and I am in my work or school clothes running my 29er SS.

nnn
    mtbr member
    May sound big headed but I'm usually going faster than most other people, the people who drop/follow me are usually messengers who turn off quickly and are too busy for a chat and a race. I do like to chat with people at traffic lights though, esp if there's something up with their bike or it's a generally nice day etc etc
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member

on work commutes

I rarely see cyclists on my commute being that it is only 4.5miles long. Most of the people I have seen in the recent past are just newbie commuters and are pretty slow. Like Squash said, I like to think of my commutes as mini intervals and I push hard because I know I only have a short distance to go.

I like to use some short cuts and stay off the main roads when I commute. I always set the goal of staying even with the cars that pull out of my neighborhood, which I know are going in the same direction and are going to the same area. It's nice to pull up to the stop light a block away from work and see ol' boy in his car pull up next to me. I'm sure he is wondering.....how did he do that? He used a dollar or two in gas to get to work, I used no gas, out one less car on the road, gained or maintained a little fitness, and best of all I got to ride my bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V.
    I do like to burn past those peeps who refuse to say hi and who feel like they have try and prove something. Especially when the person I am passing is all done up in cycling gear and I am in my work or school clothes running my 29er SS.
    Who's proving what? I'd string you along for a few miles and then make you suffer if you tried that with me.

My Brain Hurts!
    My commute is a little over 1 mile each way. I almost never see anyone else biking and if I do they are going the other way.

I for one would welcome a few more riders on my route and see no issue with groups of strangers bunching up as they ride a common route. A group of riders is more easily seen and someone driving to work putting on makeup or shaving or has their HUA while on their cell phone is more likely to notice a group of rides that a single rider..IMHO
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Raidero desde Torino
    Apr 2007
    draft.
    we need a sign that says DRAFT OK WELCOME.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yater
    Who's proving what? I'd string you along for a few miles and then make you suffer if you tried that with me.

Well, some guys have made me suffer. And that doesn't really bother me either. I like to ride with guys faster than me because it makes me faster riding with them. Everybody has to be good at something and if your the fastest biker in the area...good for you. I bike for fun, but I do have a bit of a competative side too and that is why I like passing people. But I don't dwell on it. If a guy burns past me, well then I guess he is just faster then me. Good for him!!

Peace out

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V.
    Everybody has to be good at something and if your the fastest biker in the area...good for you. I bike for fun, but I do have a bit of a competative side too and that is why I like passing people.
    Which brings another source of irritation with me. Why why why do people suffer to pass you, struggle and pant in an anaerobic state just to die 50 feet ahead of you? I don't understand what this proves? Who needs to prove themselves or the divine being of their choice that they can drop a chick loaded down with gear on a heavy cross bike? It's really really annoying. If you want to train, fine, but realize not everyone on the road wants to play that game. It's like reving up your engine at a traffic light and being the only one to peel out.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    I for one get a little upset. I don't know you and this isn't a group ride. Get off my butt.
    Which brings another source of irritation with me....
    I make a point of not letting anything bother me. I ride to work to help set my day in a positive way

IMHO, you're lucky to see so many riders, around here it's rare to see any bike commuters.

mtbr member
    I don't like other bikes too close to mine, and drafting distance is "too close" for my comfort, so I would actually prefer that no one ever draft me.

Break your own wind . That's my philosophy.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ill trade off pulling..

Prompted by another thread and my own pet peeve; do you draft others while commuting or allow them to draft you? I'm not taking about your neighbor but total and complete strangers.

if other are willing to take turns. But if someones on my a$s and refuses to pull...i ditch um or let um pass me..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Which brings another source of irritation with me. Why why why do people suffer to pass you, struggle and pant in an anaerobic state just to die 50 feet ahead of you? I don't understand what this proves? Who needs to prove themselves or the divine being of their choice that they can drop a chick loaded down with gear on a heavy cross bike? It's really really annoying. If you want to train, fine, but realize not everyone on the road wants to play that game. It's like reving up your engine at a traffic light and being the only one to peel out.
    I guess your message explains what I meant in my first message when I was writing about people having something to prove. Lots of people get way too serious when they are commuting. Most of the commuters using our local paved trails are just trying to get home. But some guys use the commute like a group ride. They posture and pass without ever saying hello or being friendly. Or they either a) speed up and ride me off their wheel, or b) speed up but unsuccessfully ride me off their wheel. I would rather sit up and chat with a guy or gal for a bit then spend 10 min working on my lactic threshold. But, like I wrote before. If a guy is faster then me and hell bent on making sure I am aware of it. Well then, good for him. I still had a good ride home.

Peace out

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I don't like other bikes too close to mine, and drafting distance is "too close" for my comfort, so I would actually prefer that no one ever draft me.

Break your own wind . That's my philosophy.
    Please refrain from breaking wind when im trying to draft you - otherwise...

Hehe, had to be said.

At the end of the day, I dont mind others drafting me, and I dont mind doing it to them either - but only if they're happy with it - if they arent, then I'll respect that.

I got nothin'

No drafting

No drafting please, we are commuting, not racing.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My only drafting experience

Normally I don't see any other commuters, just a couple bums on dumpster dive bikes.

Those that I do see I'll usually pass and not see again. Got schooled the other day, however. It was taking me a while to catch up to a guy but I finally did. As I passed him I mentioned something like "yell at me if I don't keep speed". Passed him and cranked hard to put some distance on him. After 1/4 mile looked back and he was right there.

We ended up talking and riding for a while (he invited me to draft him). Turns out he used to ride competitively on a team and was the star sprinter. No wonder his calves looked like oversized softballs...

thecentralscrutinizer
    yes, who cares if they draft.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have a short commute and I rarely see anybody going my pace. During the winter months the commute gets super lonely. I'd prefer no drafting just because it is weird to have someone haunting your ever pedal stroke and I find that most drafters like to hang out in a spot that blocks my checks back for traffic.

However, I'm all over cyclists doing a better job with a sense of community. Motorcyclists do a wave every time they pass another motorcyclists, regardless of the kind of bike the other rider has. Maybe cyclists should start doing that and maybe if someone came up on me and asked to draft, that would be ok too.

knock-knock...
    in my 11 mile commute this entire summer, i only have ever had the option to draft once, and we were pushing into about a 15-20 mile an hour headwind. if you were that fixie rider that saved my a$$ and got me to work on time with those ridiculous pulls, thanks

whats wrong with working together to save everyone some effort if its brutal out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast