Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

The downside of working from home.

For the past few years I have been riding to work most days. Was out of steady work for about a year, the upside of which was that I got to ride a lot. Now I have a new job, and I was psyched that I mostly work from home.

However, I am realizing how much I miss riding to work and back each day. I still get on the bike to do some errands, and will take an hour to just go for a spin, but the great thing about commuting was that it took very little motivation or planning to do. I needed to be at work, so I would just get on the bike and do it. If it is cold out, not going is not an option, so I would just curse under my breath and go, and by the end of the ride be glad I did so. I never felt like I was indulging myself by spending those 45 minutes each day on the bike. At the end of a week, the commuting alone would have added up to about 40 miles of riding, more if I did errands on the way home or during lunch.

Now that it is winter, I just don't have the motivation to get on the bike and ride just for the heck of it. Most errands can wait until it is not so miserable out. Something less "indulgent" always needs to taken care of.

I am seriously considering asking for a desk space at the office just to get me on my bike each day.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

ups and downs
    I've worked at home since 1997, I like to think of those 1 to 1.5 hour rides I can squeeze in during a day as a mental commute. When they're done I can actually focus on work and not be wishing I were out on the bike when there is ridable weather just outside the window.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Same issue. Rode every day two winters ago. Last winter's horrible weather was a bit much without a job to have to get to. Now the snow tires checked out, I am going to try an early morning ride to the Y and back, hoping to get someone besides me and Kathryn who will notice whether I ride. .

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    any chance to switch the "working from home" for "working from the road"?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    any chance to switch the "working from home" for "working from the road"?
    Sure, if I can figure out how to type and move the mouse.....

I find I am actually looking forward to a meeting tomorrow, because it gives me a reason to ride.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.