Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008

A dose of commuter reality

How are the hurricanes treating your commutes?

I awoke today for my normal 9:30pm ride to work, to find that Ike brought a torrential downpour. I was absolutely destroyed on my way to work, as I had left my jacket at my grandparents about a week before. Getting ready for that same commute back home, but this time I'll be at home with a fresh change of clothes.

I need to get a few things ready, as I've been slacking, for the crappier months including
    -snow tires
    -a waterproof backpack
    -a pair of waterproof over-shorts if such a thing exists
    -and a pair of goggles for snowy weather, that allow one to wear glasses underneath

does anyone have any leads on the last 2 items?

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djcornbread
    How are the hurricanes treating your commutes?

I awoke today for my normal 9:30pm ride to work, to find that Ike brought a torrential downpour. I was absolutely destroyed on my way to work, as I had left my jacket at my grandparents about a week before. Getting ready for that same commute back home, but this time I'll be at home with a fresh change of clothes.

I need to get a few things ready, as I've been slacking, for the crappier months including
    -snow tires
    -a waterproof backpack
    -a pair of waterproof over-shorts if such a thing exists
    -and a pair of goggles for snowy weather, that allow one to wear glasses underneath

does anyone have any leads on the last 2 items?

Get some cheap waterproof shell pants from almost any sporting goods store.
    Google search "OTG goggle", but be warned most of them suck, and without a built in fan you fog like crazy. Best bet is these Smith OTG turbo fan

Known Mountainbiker
    Move to the PNW; after a few months of commuting in the rain, you hardly even notice it.

I tried waterproof shorts. Nothing like creating a sweat chamber just around your crotch.

The best rain pants are the ones that have venting around the waist (which would be under a jacket) Another great rain pant feature is velcro straps around the ankle and upper calf.

As for waterproof backpack $$$. I just plastic bag everything or get a rain cover.

I tried sourcing some goggles that go over glasses for a friend last year. You lose the seal around the ear piece which ruin the function of the goggle. Look into Rx goggles.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Snow tires are unnecessary. Slicks work fine. They cut through all the snow and slush right down to the pavement. I live in WI, I know.
    Chrome bags are really nice and very waterproof. Ortlieb makes a very waterproof bag as well.
    Try to find rain pants with a drawstring at the bottom so you can tighten them up around your calves.
    You'll need fairly decent goggles to give you proper anti-fog and not have them freeze up. I came across a good set on Steepandcheap for $40 and they work for me. They make some that are built for use with glasses. Your speed on the bike should keep them from fogging.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Snow tires are unnecessary. Slicks work fine. They cut through all the snow and slush right down to the pavement. I live in WI, I know.
    heh your snow must the warm variety, around here, there is no cutting through snow... cos then you get ice... and thats kinda slippery... studs or walking are the only real option...

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    [QUOTE=studs or walking are the only real option...[/QUOTE]

studs it is, walking is out of the question with my back the way it is. the angle i sit on a bike doesnt hurt my back, but standing does, unless i prefer a neanderthal bigfoot walking stance... which i dont.

mtbr member
    Partial to rain capes for commuting, myself. Combined with fenders they keep you pretty darned dry! A coupla options:

Carradice:

http://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bike/rain-capes.cfm

J&G:

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've never dealt with hurricane related storms but the Pacific Northwet is far from dry.

I just picked up a pair of the Ortlieb roll-top panniers yesterday. Basic but functional...and a little expensive. I think they will be great for commuting. They don't have any external pockets but on my commute I don't anticipate needing to stop every few miles to grab an energy bar or take a picture. One other nice thing I can see already with the Ortliebs...they will wipe clean very easily because of the vinyl coating on the outside.

As far as jackets...I didn't go cheap on that either. I had to talk myself into it but so far I am really pleased with my Showers Pass jacket. Extremely breathable and pretty much totally waterproof.

For rain pants, I am going to try the Pearl Izumi AmFib tights but they may be a little too warm for your monsoon climate. I was seriously considering the Craft or Showers Pass pants instead. I think the Craft pants have a little better venting.

I am going to make some booties to keep my feet dry. I'll post up how that turns out.

Something else I was thinking of trying was to get a pair of windbreaker pants for running and then treat them with Nikwax waterproofing. There are both spray-on and wash-in types. I've used this stuff on cotton canvas before and it is absolutely amazing. It doesn't change the look or feel of the fabric at all but water just beads up and rolls off. I bet you could just about make any garment nearly waterproof with their products.

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    oh no no, i'm not in hurricane/monsoon territory, it's just that recently here (in missouri) we saw the northern tip of Ike give us quite the showering. the both fortunate and unfortunate part of missouri is that our summers hit the 100s, and our winters hit the 0s. we're all over the place. so i'm gearing up for a frigid winter, coming out of a scorching summer.

Respect Your Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak

I am going to make some booties to keep my feet dry. I'll post up how that turns out.
    What are your thoughts for making booties? I live in PDX and I'm not about to go out and buy any kind of waterproof winter cycling shoe. However, my current shoes are not too water / cold proof. I'm curious as to what you have in mind. Be sure to post up! Thanks.

mtbr member

Prescription goggles and sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    I tried sourcing some goggles that go over glasses for a friend last year. You lose the seal around the ear piece which ruin the function of the goggle. Look into Rx goggles.
    I haven't used this supplier to buy for myself yet, but I like their selection:

http://www.heavyglare.com/

Rad dude.
    Sep 2005
    I have a Columbia Buga Sac backpack. It's been utterly waterproof for 3 years now. The frontmost zipper (which I'm in and out of for writing utensils 20 times a day) is finally starting to go, but other than that it has been flawless. That includes a year and a half of daily Seattle commuting, so it really is waterproof. I'd reccomend it!