Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Dogs love Bikers.

The last time i made a long commute to a place i hadn't ridden to before, i was chased down 3 times by dogs. It was dark, and i just heard them. Barking.....barking closer......barking closer..... nails clicking rapidly against pavement. It was scary. What are some precautions people are taking out there about dogs? Any? I'd hate to have been caught going uphill and tired. Or in a traffic situation.

mtbr member
    I get chased almost every time out on my roadbike. It can be intense, like the time I had just taken off from a stop sign, looked over and had the biggest dog I have ever seen charging me, I'm just glad that I was able to out sprint him.

Next time you get chased try squirting him with your water bottle, this has worked for me in the past. Other than that I guess just ride faster.
    The way we ride today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow. -IMBA

"Tragically Flawed"
    Pepper spray goes a long way toward changing a dog's perception of biker as prey.

If you use it, make sure you are truly threatened, and not just the subject of curiosity or amusement.

mtbr member
    It is unnerving and not always easy to keep your wits about you but if you squirt the dog in the face with water, I have never heard of a dog continuing after that.

I Ride for Donuts
    I used to get chased by the same dog fairly regularly. I spent a couple months analyzing his pattern of attack, top speed, preference of right vs left side of the bike, etc... after about 8 weeks I felt that I had gathered enough intel to plan my counter attack.

I cruised by the dog's yard at a moderate, tempting pace. He joined the chase, falling right into my trap. I led him out for maybe 50 yards, tiring him but allowing him to gain enough so that he wouldn't give up. Knowing that he would approach the left side of the bike, I prepared for my offensive by unclicking my left foot prior to the assault. When the dog in question got about even with my left chainstay, thinking that he was finally going to catch me, I stood up on my right leg and hacked violently at the dog's throat with my left heel. I caught him right in the trachea, as if I was Chuck Norris himself. This resulted in two very interesting things. The most entertaining of the two was the wheelie that the dog was able to sustain for the next 15 or 20 feet. He wanted desperately to keep chasing (and probably kill) me, but his center of gravity was far too high, and he almost looped out while continuing to put the power down on the rear wheels. The second entertaining factor was the sound that the dog made while this was going on. It was a cross between a dog, a man, a sasquatch, and maybe a large male house cat. It was one of those things you just don't forget.

To make a long story short, the dog gave up the chase and hasn't bothered me since.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 10-27-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Double-metric mtb man
    The last chase I was involved in was with a jack russel terrier, of all things. One of the paved trails I use for a commute through town parallels an off-leash area with a partial chain-link fence. Well, on the FS mtb, cruising the asphalt I hear the russle (pun intended) of fast little paws flying through the leaves on the other side of the fence...with a break fast approaching.

Well, the little fella was pretty quick...kicking it up in the middle ring wasn't quite enough to lose him. In spite of stumbling a few times and his "mommy" having a total cow, he did pretty well until I grabbed the big ring and hammered. He hasn't chased me again since.

I was confronted by a large dog last year where the stupid owner was egging the dog on. I had already stopped and put the bike between me and the rotty or rotty cross as it was barking and snapping away. For some reason, the owner's attitude changed when I flipped out the expandable baton I carry...suddenly it was "come 're you stupid dog!" instead of "git 'im boy, yeah...you gots 'im".

For those wondering, I'm asthmatic so peperspray is out for me; I ride with a hydration pack, so no squeeze bottle and I don't carry a blade because with my training I'd likely kill the dog...the baton allows me to defend well, but still go on the offensive if I must.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

I Ride for Donuts
    I've thought about one of those expandable batons, but I've heard you have to have a concealed weapons permit to carry one...I don't want to go through the class or get arrested, so I resort to kicking.

Another technique I've used is the rear tire flick. It's easier on a mountian bike, but with a little practice you can get up on the front wheel and really get a good swat in with the rear tire. Not great for high speed pursuit, but it scares the heck out of the dog when the bike bites back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    I don't carry a blade because with my training I'd likely kill the dog...
    Funny, thats exactly the same reason why i don't use my bare hands.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Here are some tips from a dog-lover's perspective. Though some dogs feel compelled to defend their territory, most are just curious or even trying to make a new friend. Sometimes the dog is just reverting to a hunting instinct and may be after the bike itself, not you. If the dog doesn't appear too vicious and you have time, slow down and let him smell the bike. Scratch him on the head. It will probably satiate his curiosity and he'll leave you alone. If the dog chasing you is vicious and snapping, speed up if you can. If it's a repeat problem or your just too tired to hammer, try kicking or squirting him with your water bottle as some have already suggested. You can also try shouting and yelling, or even a loud air horn. Making loud noises serves the same purpose as barking and may intimidate the dog into backing off. Make eye contact, be assertive and be the alpha male (or female)!

More often than not, the cause of problem behavior in dogs is the owner. Try talking to the owner about their dog harassing you. Or if you have a situation like Psycho Mike's, I personally might be inclined to skipping to the punching his freakin' lights out part.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I jam the brakes, drop the bike and go into a dead run right at him screaming at the top of my lungs. Every dog I have done this to skids to a stop and runs like hell. Of course, you have to see him early enough when he's still far away.

Your mileage may vary.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I've never had a problem with dogs wanting to hurt just dogs bored and wanting a chase usually they like to run right up next to me if they can.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    I've never had a problem with dogs wanting to hurt just dogs bored and wanting a chase usually they like to run right up next to me if they can.

I've seen both situations. I've been chased by some pretty clearly aggressive dogs. On the other handI have two little terrors (er, terriers) myself, and they love to chase me on my bike - its a big game for them.

However, I would never let my dogs be in a position to chase someone else - they could get aggressive with a stranger on a bike, or simply scare/irritate/cause a crash for someone who doesn't understand the game. Dog owners who don't get this are idiots, plain and simple.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

...and I Have Scars On My Legs To Prove It

Nothing'll stop your momentum faster than a 100 lb dog hanging by his teeth off your right calf.

He charged from a house about 100 yards from the road, I kicked at him as he approached and he ran off only to stealthly loop back around and come in for the kill. He latched onto my right calf and I grabbed my frame pump and broke it over his head...to no avail. I came to a stop and had to repeatedly punch the dog in the face to get him to let go.

And of course had to cut the ride short and turn back for home. 30 miles later my poor sock was ruined from all the blood that ran down my leg.

I regularly get chased by them but that was the only one that has cought me. Usually a swing of the pump or a squirt from the bottle is enough to turn them back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wound up in the middle of a herd of deer last night riding home. I guess I snuck up on them and they started running right when I was where they were. I wound up outracing them and getting ahead, I probably should have just braked I guess and let them get away. I didn't want them to be criss-crossing in front of me basically.

I Ride for Donuts
    I see a dozen or so deer every single morning (in the dark) on my bike ride to work. They are usually feeding on the shoulder, just off of the road, and I sneak up on them...they explode into motion, realizing that you're there, just about the same time you realize that they're there. Nothing will get your heart racing like the sound of cloven hoofs peeling out on the pavement mere feet in front of you, praying for traction so that they can get the heck out of the way. I've never hit one, but I've come incredibly close. I don't really even brake any more...they always manage to get the heck out of the way. Definitely a situation of you chasing them rather than them chasing you though.

BIG and Bald
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    Punctuate much?
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was just searching for this very subject.The dogs and owners by me are terrible.I have called the cops,they tell me call animal control.I call animal control they say they can"t do nothing till one bites me.I've tried to talk to owners and they are like"why are you riding a bike?"It's gets pretty heated sometimes.I've gotten to where I carry one of those cables for locking your bike with a padlock at the end of it.I've only used it once,I really needed too also.There has got to be a better way though.I don't want to hurt anyone's dog,but I don't want bit either.There are some dogs well trained that just run to the edge of the yard but the others keep on a coming.I've heard people laughing,telling them good boy,go get 'em, all of the idiotic things irresponsible owners do.
    I would like more options though.

Braaaapp!
    I don't have much advice to add, but I do want to say that sprinting top speed away from a dog down an unfamilar canal trail at night sucks. My headlight is barely adequate at 12 mpg, let alone 25+. Almost slammed into part of the railing when there was a corner. Just kept thinking "Great, I'll kill myself crashing and then have this dog attack me while I wither in pain".

I've been chowed on before, not biking though. Got absolutely torn apart by a large Rottwieler when I was 14. Never want to get bitten again!

Sorry again, no advice, just pointless stories.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    To make a long story short, the dog gave up the chase and hasn't bothered me since.
    I love dogs, but have no problem kicking the chit out of one if it's in attack mode. If my dogs were ever in attack mode on someone, I would kick there arse myself.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Don't believe the Hype...

Just carry Mace

Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

In the rear with the beer
    I've ventured onto a couple of the local reservations around here on my road bike..and the dogs there generally run free and in packs.....I once had a pack of 10 sprinting after me, with the smallest dog in the lead....I totally hammered it, they finally dropped after about a 1/2 mile...going well over 20mpg. Pretty freaking amazing. Worst part was that I knew I needed to go past the same spot on the way home...i was able to sneak by without them seeing me that time though (a human tried to bike-jack me the same day "hey, what are you doing on my bike?" was his initial phrase...). Rough day.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member

Chased by cows

This may sound very odd, but years ago a few of us were cutting across a cow field. (At the time the trail was disected, we now have a perimeter trail) It was a 'technical' ride as you manuevered around the cow patties. When the herd of cows saw us, we were 1/2 way, they started to charge and and came from a good 1/4 mile away at full speed. We bee lined to the fence covering ourselves with cow dung, got to the other side, threw our bikes over and jumped through just as the herd arrived. We had to laugh, there was nothing else to do. After a few minutes the bull came up over the hill. From 1/4 mile away, we could see he was pissed. We didn't have to say anything to each other, we knew we were in trouble and starting pedaling as fast as we could. Of course my chain had come off when I threw my bike over the fence. I frantically put it back on and raced away - up a hill! I haven't thought about that episode in years!

jrm
    mtbr member

"Killer the knipper dog"

Im rolling alone and i hear this little dog barking at me in the distance and im all like "ok you get get um killer". Well the dog must have read my mind and got pissed because before i knew it "killer" comes charging at me out of NOWHERE making a b-line right for my front wheel. He/ she got real close to the front wheel and put on the brakes. Now behind me killer for short, then starts charging after me. By this time im laughing and ive unclipped my foot from the pedal and dangling it in front of "killer" provoking him/her to come and get a chunk of my ankle.

Gotta say that woke me up.. man that was funny..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had my first dog incident today. I was heading home at a fairly leisurly pace and from a house about 200 yards from the road the dog came zipping across the field! Being that I have a semi-messed up leg I couldnt hammer too hard so he caught up wiht me. I gave him plenty of time to back off...I could hear him snapping about 3in from my ankle; So I unclipped from the pedal and gave him a nice whack across the head!!! He immediately stopped and looked at me like WTF-over?

I didnt want to do it...I really like dogs in general and someone loves that pup, but by law it should be on a leash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I rode past a house with 8-10 adults sitting in chairs, two big dogs run after me in
    full attack mode. Not one of the Fg A******s called the dogs back, so I sprayed
    them with 20 ft Wasp and Hornet spray. I always carry the Wasp and Hornet spray
    in one of my bottle cages.

I love dogs but Im not going to get bit when Im not on their property.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast