mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Does Kryptonite New York/Fahgettaboutit work in heavy winter conditions?

Hello, as in the title, does anyone have experience using the Kryptonite New York or its Fahgettaboutit version in conditions of heavy winter?

My Abus Buffo proved to be an utter crap, sadly. It jams when frozen and just tiny amount of snow on the keyhole (which deposits there during riding) renders it barely operable as well. The frame mounting bracket failed after less than a year of commuting.

Will the Kryptonite work? I would be pretty upset spending on it and then realizing it's just as useless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had the motorcycle-sized variant of the Faghettaboudit and used it in the winter with no issues. I do carry my U-lock inside a pannier, however. They have a protective shutter over the keyhole, so you can close it off from weather.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeisbetter
    Hello, as in the title, does anyone have experience using the Kryptonite New York or its Fahgettaboutit version in conditions of heavy winter?

My Abus Buffo proved to be an utter crap, sadly. It jams when frozen and just tiny amount of snow on the keyhole (which deposits there during riding) renders it barely operable as well. The frame mounting bracket failed after less than a year of commuting.

Will the Kryptonite work? I would be pretty upset spending on it and then realizing it's just as useless.
    Always leave the lock opening facing downwards. I haven't had an issue with freezing... there is a tiny key-hole cover on the kryptonites.. use it! I also left a wide elastic-band over the cover. It came with my broccoli :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thank you very much for the responses.