Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rides like wrecking ball

Does this exist? Steel flat bar Cyclo-Roadie?

I think I'm searching for something very exotic in the hopes to replace something very common. I have a Giant Cypress SX. The frame is from a common hybrid, but it came with with an atypical hybrid build - road triple gearing and close ratio road cassette, rigid steel fork, rigid post, flat bar, non-adjustable stem and road wheels with 28c road tires. Basically a flat bar road bike which is exactly what I was looking for. I have since upgraded many of the parts to make it lighter, faster and yet more comfortable. While I love the geo and the attitude of the bike I have lately wished to replace the harsh cheap aluminum frame with a comfy steel model. Last year I did the same with my XC hardtail - replaced the harsh aluminum race frame with comfy steel and it made a HUGE difference, more than I ever imagined. Since then I vowed from now on that any hardtail of mine would be steel (or carbon for a true roadie).

What is out there? I'm only looking for a frame, maybe frame + fork. I want to transfer the rest of the major parts from the Cypress.

-CX bikes seemed obvious initially. Proper mid-40c's tire clearance, mounts for my V-brakes, clearance for road gearing, etc. I'm concerned though because the top tube lengths are so short for a given size because of the drop handlebars. I will never be able to ride drops due to a wrist problem. I use long stems (120-140mm) and flat carbon bars on my Cypress). Whereas most size L mtb/hybrids offer 23.5-24.5" tt, CX seems to be more like 21.5-22" and I don't think I can or should try to make that up with a stem.

-29" MTB maybe. Proper top tube lengths, gobs of tire clearance, can still find some with V-brake mounts, etc. Concerns would be really low BB height with a non suspension corrected fork and short road/CX tires, possible clearance issues with my road double (39/53) crank. Need to pinch the frame to fit a 130mm rear hub into a 135mm dropout (not a terrible concern with a steel frame).

I keep talking myself in circles so I though maybe some of you would want to weigh in. And a few pics to help explain what I'm riding now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    I like my Gunnar Crosshairs. While mine is setup with drop bars, I don't see why it couldn't be configured with flat bars. I don't know what size frame you ride, but the Crosshairs has a 20.5" to 23.5" top tube depending on frame size.

Have you considered a lay-back seat post?

The Gunnar:

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    nice pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR18210
    Daddy likes! That is the spirit of what I'm looking for, exactly!
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    I have a 2004 Trek 520 that I'm seriously considering making into just that. Gonna put a flat bar (probably) on there, some cantilever brakes because I like how they look, and a White Industries Eccentric ENO hub to make it a single speed. I use the bike on tours once or twice a year, but I can just swap it back for those.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you're gonna convert a touring or CX frame to flat bar you need to sacrifice as much standover clearance as you can at time of purchase. This gets you enough TT length to do the flat bar wo needing too long a stem. This usually works best for those with relatively short torso/long legs. Touring frames work better than CX frames because of the longer wheelbase that allows more seat layback. The handling of my touring frame actually improved when I used a 15mm longer stem with the flat bar as theres no longer a need to be hyperstabilized for extra weight on the fork. The CX conversion has much quicker handling thats less appropriate for ice or loose surfaces.

I have both in steel, and yes, the ride quality is far superior to aluminum.

I would reconsider the canti break plan. Unless you need mud clearance they aren't worth the hassle. Never have I enjoyed losing something so utterly worthless in all my years of cycling. And yes, I know how to adjust 'em. Still, they aren't any good.

Hope this helps, good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Jamis Coda is a flat bar road/cx bike, but probably don't have room for a 40mm tire.
    The LeMond Poprads have relatively long op tubes for cx bikes.
    Check out the Kona Sutra.

Maybe a steel 29er frame would work? Long top tubes, tons of stand over, room for whatever tire you could want,

I Ride for Donuts
    I have never seen a picture of a bike with the shoes attached before. You must have stopped in a hurry
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I have never seen a picture of a bike with the shoes attached before. You must have stopped in a hurry
    Haha. Just the way I sometimes hang it in the garage is all.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes, my converted 52cm poprad frame has a longish 54cm top tube. Its tricked out with rack, carbon CX fork and skinny planet bike fenders and tips the scale at 22 lbs.

The 52cm REI randonee touring frame is even longer at just short of 55cm top tube. The whole bike with rack, full fenders and 32c SB8 snow tires is 24 lbs. These frames, that take up to 42c tires, are super hard to find. I think the Surly LHT is close to this. . .

Both of the frames are steel and have built on accesory eyelets.

If you're Ok with shouldering a backpack then I would agree that the 29er frame is the way to go, especially since it allows the use of disc brakes which are superior for use in rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Check out the Surly frames. They have several that would do what you want.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Daddy likes! That is the spirit of what I'm looking for, exactly!
    This is perfect. Big road/CX tires or up to a 29x1.75 knobby, V-brake or disk, compact frame (not a "square" road/CX style), Road or mountain cranks/rings, racks/fenders. Whatever crazy ideas I could have in the future could be possible. The price ain't bad either, though overseas shipping sucks. And it's STEEL. I have gotten several email from Paul @ Cotic already, cool guy. Thanks to DBR18210 for that link!
    Last edited by Bulldog; 01-06-2009 at 04:19 PM.

VP of Riding & Drinking

Roadrat looks cool!

I have been looking at the Roadrat for a single speed road/cross/townie bike too.
    Bike looks awesome . I think I would get drop bar version and put on some nice fat "monster " cross tires.
    Did they give you an idea on shipping cost from UK? and total cost?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank'nStein
    I have been looking at the Roadrat for a single speed road/cross/townie bike too.
    Bike looks awesome . I think I would get drop bar version and put on some nice fat "monster " cross tires.
    Did they give you an idea on shipping cost from UK? and total cost?
    Shipping is 95GBP or about $140. That sucks on a $370 frame but together still makes a fair deal to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Surly Karate Monkey. Available as a frame or complete bike. This is probably the most versatile frame I have seen with every braze-on imaginable. Horizontal dropouts for running single speed but a place for a hanger if you want a derailleur, fender mounts, disc tabs, rack mounts, canti bosses, etc. It's a 29er frame so 700c wheels are no problem.

If you want something more roadie...maybe the Cross Check or the Long Haul Trucker. With either of those, you are limited to rim brakes (if that matters to you). Anyway, Surly makes great steel frames.

http://www.surlybikes.com/km_comp.html

VP of Riding & Drinking

Options...

looks like steel single speed options are...
    Cotic Roadrat $520 to US
    Surly Cross Check $420 w/ free shipping
    Vassago Fisticuff $580 avail in Feb
    On One Il Pompino $250 now if 57 fits othewise? A littly flashy
    Kogswell $600
    Singular Peregrine $775 to US ( very nice paint job)
    any others?

29er frames are heavier and don't work well with drop bars...IMO

Rides like wrecking ball
    29er frames are heavier and don't work well with drop bars...IMO
    You hijacker! This is a flat-bar roady'ish thread! Take your swoopy loopy bars to your own thread haha!

VP of Riding & Drinking

Ooops!

Sorry, thought I was helping the cause... drops or flats.. I think a lot of us are looking for similar frames.

Also noticed the Steelwool Tweed. Single speed, STEEL, disc ready, nice paint job,
    About $580 US w/o shipping

Uh-oh maybe I will be 'splainin' a new frame to the wife real soon

Rides like wrecking ball
    Sorry, thought I was helping the cause... drops or flats.. I think a lot of us are looking for similar frames.

Also noticed the Steelwool Tweed. Single speed, STEEL, disc ready, nice paint job,
    About $580 US w/o shipping

Uh-oh maybe I will be 'splainin' a new frame to the wife real soon
    Teasing mostly. The only real differences for me with drops are a top tube length deficiency and seat tube length excess. I'm a MTB'er at heart, and like "compact" frame styles, long and sloping top tubes and long seatposts.

mtbr member
    Rivendell's newest model would be a good option. The top tube has more slope than their previous models so you could size up for the longer top tube and still have good standover.

http://www.rivbike.com//#product=50-700

I'm a big fan of their products. Great bikes.

Devo
    something like this?
    Hunter w/CDW bags

new rig
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

VP of Riding & Drinking

Any News?

Bulldog, did you order the Roadrat? The more I research this frame the more I like it.
    One day with some 25's you could just ride with some roadie boys ( single speed of course), switch to 35mm for some 'cross fun and then throw down some Bonty 1.8's and ride some real off road! Of course I could just do the same on different bikes ( Curtlo roadie, Soma Cross and Titus Motolite) but it wouldn't be the same

Looking forward to hearing some more stories about this multi purpose bike.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Bulldog, did you order the Roadrat? The more I research this frame the more I like it.
    One day with some 25's you could just ride with some roadie boys ( single speed of course), switch to 35mm for some 'cross fun and then throw down some Bonty 1.8's and ride some real off road! Of course I could just do the same on different bikes ( Curtlo roadie, Soma Cross and Titus Motolite) but it wouldn't be the same

Looking forward to hearing some more stories about this multi purpose bike.
    I'm waiting for a shipping quote from a UK Cotic dealer. It's the bike I want for sure. Just been working out the spec. My current build is very road so I'm considering a second wheelset with some wider rims and more spokes to run CX or 1.75's if I want to do some light offroad riding.

VP of Riding & Drinking

Me too!

let us know best shipping deal. I am going to order the drop bar version when I get back from vacation in Feb
    The Roadrat seems to fit my bill exactly, 'cross frame, single speed, disc mounts, sloping top tube..... perfecto.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast