mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Does anyone's commute involve dirt?

I have a 11.5 mile commute each way with an optional 3.5 miles of dirt. It's mostly fire roads with the typical wash board surface in some parts.

My question is what tires do some of you run for between road and dirt? I'm currently running the 700x34 Hutchinson Piranhas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't use the schwalbe marathon's unless it's hard packed dirt.

Otherwise, I'd like to know too.

When I lived in TX I had a dirt option I would take occasionally. Now, not so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Depending on the route I take about 50% dirt road. Add some cobblestone.

Over the years my commuter tires have become more and more voluminous. This entire season I've been running Vittoria's Voyager Hyper in 37. I run them at 4 bar. These tires are robust and easy rolling.

Touring « Vittoria

I Ride for Donuts
    I live on a dirt road, and have a trail route to work, along with a few miles of pavement every day. I've use Schwalbe Big Apples (awesome), and I'm currently using Serfas Drifters (also awesome).

I highly recommend very high volume tires with low rolling resistance. Tread doesn't really matter all that much for fire roads with typical washboard sections.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive got gravel paths on my regular route and if i want to venture i can hit some good stuff. Most the time I use Clements 35c ASH tires or a combo of crosswolf/mud 2 and a ASH up front.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I live on a dirt road, and have a trail route to work, along with a few miles of pavement every day. I've use Schwalbe Big Apples (awesome), and I'm currently using Serfas Drifters (also awesome).

I highly recommend very high volume tires with low rolling resistance. Tread doesn't really matter all that much for fire roads with typical washboard sections.
    I definitely agree with the volume/tread comments, would just point out BA's seem unusually heavy with how much of a puncture protection layer they have--could be good or bad, depending on conditions. I like them, but it still weirds me out that I can run a full knobby and have similar weight rubber.

Loved Fat Frank 2.3's on the 26er, pretty light, nice casing for the money, and the only things that got through it over the three years or so I rode them were drywall screws. Pretty sure they're making a 622-50 of that now, although from what you're writing, you may not want or be able to fit that in your frame...

And as to the title question--when I have time, I take all kinds of detours.

mtbr member
    I've got plenty of singletrack options on my commute, so I've got big volume tires like Commuterboy.

A lot of people say that pavement riding wears out knobbies quickly, but I've decided that I don't agree. I've got 3 bikes so my mileage gets spread around a bit, but I've been getting at least 3 years on my rear tires, and I almost always get bored of them before they actually wear out. My front tires are seeming to last forever. These are mountain knobbies so the tread is pretty chunky, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mt bike with Kenda K rad tires. 26" 2.3 with sort of a low checkerboard type tread. 12 of pave and 8 miles of dirt in good weather

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LeStrong View Post
    I have a 11.5 mile commute each way with an optional 3.5 miles of dirt. It's mostly fire roads with the typical wash board surface in some parts.

My question is what tires do some of you run for between road and dirt? I'm currently running the 700x34 Hutchinson Piranhas.
    Yep-

I go back and forth between a 1.95 AND A 700X35.. I hit the pave in the morning to get it done faster, but like to come home through the open lands and hit a little single track from time to time..

Crushed gravel roads do not like the CX tires, especially on the descent, and yeah, the 1.95's don't like the pave. But I ride conti touring 1.95 and the WTB CX tires..

Tough one.. As mentioned before, when you figure it out, post it up.. So far there is no OMG.

I'm still fighting with wether I want to build a new commuter from a Raleigh 1x1 and run an internal hub.. FML.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

Moderator Moderator
    I currently run Schwalbe Marathon Green Guards (1.75") on the MTB, and 700x32 Panaracer T-servs on the cross bike. If the dirt road (1.3mi) gets rough, I can go faster on the dirt section on the MTB with its fatter tires. The surface varies greatly with weather, maintenance, etc. In mud season, both rides suck the life out of me. On ice, the dirt becomes "ice pavement" and is smoother than the rest of the year, but slickery and requires studded tires.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Yes, a few miles of dirt, if I choose that path. Fat Tires, 26x4! ;p

mtbr member
    I have a few miles of dirt on a 28 mile round trip commute. I run the relatively cheap Schwalbe CX Comps in a 35 on my cross bike. definitely enough traction for the dirt path and low rolling resistance on the paved, as the tread is more of a semi slick than nobby cross tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just reading through this thread again. Dang, we that commute to work in the dirt are some lucky people!

No, I'm not thinking lucky in the wee hours of the morning in the dark, but at least not in traffic, road raging..

Carry on.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    11.5 miles total
    2 miles mixed road and developed dirt trail to the state park trailhead
    5 miles dirt singletrack and fireroads
    2 miles cement bike trail and city streets
    2.5 miles abandoned rail alignment of dirt and gravel

I use 2.5 x 29 WTB Weirwolfs @ 30psi on the Ogre. Smooth ride.

I certainly do feel lucky. I also feel safer than taking the all road route. It worth the extra time it takes.

mtbr member
    The only option I have for dirt on my commute is for a half mile section along the backside of the zoo, between it and highway 99. My Panaracer T-Serv Protex (front) and Vittoria Randonneur Pro (rear, both nominally 26 x 1.50") handle that just fine, but it's pretty tame, with just a few roots to dodge and pretty much hardpack. Still nice to do once in a while. It's a slight detour off of one of my alternate routes home that is already a few miles longer than my normal way and I only get a chance to take it about once a week.

mtbr member

I run these 700x35 from performance. Both my 40 mile route and 65 mile route have alot of dirt which I love . Does anyone's commute involve dirt?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1379291007.305167.jpgDoes anyone's commute involve dirt?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1379291028.751486.jpgDoes anyone's commute involve dirt?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1379291057.671519.jpg

But I'm looking to try the happy medium tires in 700x40mm. They have a nice center tread and good side knobs . But I havnt gotten them yet

Bill

Ride Everything

Re: Does anyone's commute involve dirt?

About 6 of my 25 miles are on dirt. Always trying to add more.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    May 2007
    700x38 Tioga Bloodhounds. They've proven pretty good in winter, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member

Thanks for the share on the bloodhounds. I might order a set tonight. They look perfect

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride nanoraptors which are 2.1 inches I ride 1-4 miles of trail a day depending on whether I am in a hurry or not. I need to find a light rack though b/c I have only a frame bag now and it won't cut it once I need warmer clothes as winter comes. I can only fit one thin jacket in their now so if it rains I am hosed.