mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Does anyone commute AND take another mode of transportation?

So my office recently moved and although my commute (SF to South Bay) has gone from 40 miles to 30 miles, it has increased in time and the traffic is much worse. Because of the stress of traffic, I'm thinking of taking the company shuttle a few times a week. The bus picks me up 5 miles from my apartment. I can drive, but I don't really want to keep my car parked in that lot all day for security reasons. I'm a relatively new biker so I'm not sure how intense 5 miles is plus my area is always super windy and cold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You can do it and the more you do it you'll be surprised how your range increases perception changes. Just spend the dough you save on gas on gear and bike and you'll soon be relishing your little adventure in any weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    5 miles is a reasonable bike commute and weather just requires better gear. I live in the Portland OR area and use our light rail system to get to work. This means a short hop to and from the train station in rain, wind, occasional sub-freezing days and one snow storm so far. If you expect rain, your bike needs fenders and you need good waterproof gear. If you ride at a reasonable pace you will stay warm without any effort.
    The only concern I could see is what to do with your bike. If you don't want to park your car at the shuttle pick up point, do you have secure bike parking there, or can yo utake your bike on the shuttle?
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow View Post
    5 miles is a reasonable bike commute and weather just requires better gear. I live in the Portland OR area and use our light rail system to get to work. This means a short hop to and from the train station in rain, wind, occasional sub-freezing days and one snow storm so far. If you expect rain, your bike needs fenders and you need good waterproof gear. If you ride at a reasonable pace you will stay warm without any effort.
    The only concern I could see is what to do with your bike. If you don't want to park your car at the shuttle pick up point, do you have secure bike parking there, or can yo utake your bike on the shuttle?
    Hi! Yes, I can throw the bike in the storage compartment of the shuttle. It's like one of those huge busses used on tours, etc. My bike is a 29" Teel Mamba mountain bike do it might take a little effort riding on the street.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great solution and much more relaxing than driving yourself in that traffic. If you're not sure how long it will take, you could try the route on a day off first.

5 miles is totally reasonable. mine right now is 20mi one way. not nearly as reasonable, but still totally doable. I do it occasionally because it's a pretty awesome workout.

mtbr member
    Another tip from when I had a bike/bus commute... It's easy to get chilled once you stop riding, so you might want an extra layer for the shuttle. I also carried an extra warm "waiting for the bus hat".

mtbr member
    I'll soon be going full on multimodal for my daily commute - three miles to the bus stop, 38 miles by bus, and then another three miles to the office.

A five mile commute is absolutely reasonable and, as others have said, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I'm also thinking about the efficiency of doing a multimodal commute. While on the bus, I can use that time to complete some work or use the time to work on personal stuff, like my writing or grading papers for the classes I teach. I certainly can't do that while driving.

Multimodal commuting has some challenges, indeed: meeting with someone else's schedule, what happens if you miss the connection, etc., but overall, it is a great way to make the commute, save some funds, and save wear and tear on your personal vehicle.

http://Multimodal Alaksa Adventures

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Subscribed! ;p Hard core this morning for sure! I drove back from Denali, but last night, not this AM! ;p

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Multi-mode is the cool way to do it because you can get a short (in your case, 5 miles) ride in the morning followed by a 30-mile ride in the afternoon if you DON'T take the bus. Okay, maybe not every day, but you could try it on a Friday and see how you like it. For a shorter afternoon ride you could get off the bus before your regular stop and ride the additional miles. You've got lots of options if you go multi-mode.

mtbr member
    One Summer I took an internship in Downtown SF but couldn't afford to live in SF and, in fact, my fiance (gf at the time) was staying in our place in Monterey, CA and we just couldn't afford to pay rent on two places period, so I commuted from Monterey to San Francisco 5 days a week over the Summer.

I would leave the house before 6, throw a bike into the back of my truck and drive to the last stop on the CalTrain line in Gilroy, where I would park the truck, pull out the bike, and carry it onto the bike car of the train (major props to CalTrain for the bike cars). I'd have to transfer trains in San Jose, and get onto the "baby bullet" as they call it and ride it all the way into SF. Once in SF I would ride the bike the 3 miles or so from the station to work to get to my desk around 9. Roundtrip: 6 hours of commute on 3 different modes of transport, and I'll never do that again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Re: Does anyone commute AND take another mode of transportation?

When I commute to school I take the train the 50 miles to Chicago and then ride the 5 miles to class.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

jrm
    mtbr member
    Between SF and the south bay you have a lot of opportunities to use transit bridges in between such as Caltrain, BART, Samtrans or VTA. See where your bike route and transit connectivity points are and go from there. A good start is using google maps to map your origin and destination and then toggle the transit and bicycling on to see what the options are.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Bicycle Radical

My commute is multi modal as well. A bus runs from across the street from my home and there is a stop across the street from my office. I strap the bike to the bus, arrive ready to work, and then look forward to the ride home all day.

If I could take a more direct route to work, I would ride both ways but that road is too dangerous for bicycles IMO. My main route home is 20 miles in length but I have a few options to make it 15 miles if necessary.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Back in the Saddle Again
    I decided to take the express into town, cutting 6 miles out of my commute and avoiding groggy dump truck and tandem truck drivers. Two close calls with the tail end trailer on a tandem was enough for me to take the bus in the morning.

The con of that choice is that I get into town at 7:30 am and work at 11:00 am. Pro: Get to hang out at the LB/CS (local bike/coffee shop) til I have to go in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I used to start work in the afternoon. I would take the George Washington
    bridge to work, but it closes for bikes and peds at midnight. So I had to take
    the train home part of the way.

TRA1N 1N VA1N - YouTube

Back in the Saddle Again
    Kind of nervous about tomorrow. Taking the bus from rural Walton, KY into Cincinnati and ride about for the day until my gf gets off work. I haven't ridden in a big city in a long time and I was edgy even in a car the times I have been there. The side effect of living 7 years in the country.

I plan on checking out a number of bike shops in the area as well as the Bike Center.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Are you taking a bike on the bus, what kind? Or do you have a bike to use in
    Cincinnati?

I'm flying from New York to Los Angeles tomorrow. Will bring my Brompton
    folder in my check-in luggage. Hope riding in LA is not that different than
    riding in New York City.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    Are you taking a bike on the bus, what kind? Or do you have a bike to use in
    Cincinnati?

I'm flying from New York to Los Angeles tomorrow. Will bring my Brompton
    folder in my check-in luggage. Hope riding in LA is not that different than
    riding in New York City.
    Just the local metro bus.

Good luck on that trip!

mtbr member
    Safe trips and rides to you in Cinci and LA, MaddCelt & 1nterceptor.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I use multimodal commuting on a regular basis. I mostly use it when our air quality is bad and I feel like breathing that crap is unhealthy. I have multiple train station options to catch light rail on my way to/from downtown here in Salt Lake City. UTA allows you to take bikes right on the train, 2 bikes per area, they can fill up quick during peak commute times.

The train sucks, mostly the passengers. I'll just breathe the smog, 20 g/m3 or so is my cut off.

I check the times at the stations I pass and have learned how many minutes faster/slower it is and plan which stop I will hop on accordingly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I live in the East Valley of the Phoenix area about 25 miles from work. It would take too long to get to work by bike so I drive about 15 miles to a park & ride lot used for the bus system. I then bike in the remaining 10 miles.

I've checked into the light rail system for part of my commute but the trail would take me too at out of my way.

Splitting the commute between driving & riding works out pretty good for me.