Known Mountainbiker

Doc didn't say not to: SS commuter build

[SIZE=3]I wasn’t sure if this belongs on the Rider Down, Commuter or the Single Speed forum so I am putting it here. Doesn’t matter; it qualifies for all three. Where to begin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Couple weeks ago, several of us took a ride up a trail we’ve come to know as <ST1Cantellia Falls. At higher elevation, we hit that wonderful white stuff that we’ve come to affectionately refer to as “why in the hell is it still snowing in April”. [/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]Needless to say, I was chasing Sparty down the trail and my front wheel clipped a rock. My bike went that way and I did a Charlie Hustle down the trail and landed on my arm pit. I thought for the first two weeks that I sprained something but ended up going to the doc and he informed me that I cracked my humerus. Yeah, I didn’t think it was funny either. Doctor told me that I shouldn’t “mountainbike” for six weeks and allow the bone to heal. He didn’t tell me not to ride. The way I look at it, if a doctor tells me that I can’t ride a bike, then he better give me a prescription for gasoline and insurance better cover it. I’m a bicyclist not a driverist.[/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]So I’ve been riding my “road bike” [slash] “drop bars” [slash] “elbows in” for the past several weeks. Speaking of “weeks” not using my arm has made it weak, which brings me up to the reason for this story. I’m building a SS commuter from my old mtb to help rehab myself back into mtbing [slash] elbows out.[/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]So this was my old Trek 970. I bought it when I was in college which happened to be located in one of the flattest places in the country i.e. Bowling Green, Ohio<ST1. RAILS TO TRAILS baby. Prior to this, I was a roadie. After college, I moved to Oregon</ST1 and remained a roadie only it was on the Trek since the road bike was old and didn’t make the move. Eventually, I hooked up with the DOD and the Trek became a real mountain bike for the first time. [/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]It didn’t take long for the SS bug to bite and I converted it to a SS by chopping off the dropouts and brazing on Rohloff sliders. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I railed this for a couple years until I justified dropping some coin on a custom Ti frame. Best investment I ever made followed closely by my Light & Motion HID.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]But the Trek didn’t die. A friend had his bike stolen so he’s been riding it for the past year and recently gave it back. [/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]So now here it sits in my bike stand waiting to be put together and I plan to put the rigid fork back on since the Fox Vanilla is pretty beat.[/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]Here’s a box of stuff.[/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]Here’s an old wheel set.[/SIZE]

<O
    [SIZE=3]And I have some slicks on order along with a chainring and I should have it back on the street by next week. I’ll be sure to post some photos when it’s together. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Caz[/SIZE]
    <O
    <O
    <O
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

meatier showers
    Very humerus tale, Caz. Funny, I never figgered you for much of a smiley emoticon guy. Guess I was wrong. Sorry. Well anyway, it'll be good to have you back on the Disciples of Dirt's off-road rides again soon. Meanwhile you'll be commuting on a wolf in sheeps clothing, eh. All the best to you.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You were a roadie? Eeewwww!!

p.s. not being able to ride sucks

p.p.s.

Known Mountainbiker
    I don't get it. Are you saying that my post is laden'd with emoticons because I don't see them and I didn't put them there.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Outrageously happy
    This thread has added a new word to my lexicon: driverist.

Great story, and hope the bones are healing well.