Known Mountainbiker

Doc didn't say not to: SS commuter build

[SIZE=3]I wasn’t sure if this belongs on the Rider Down, Commuter or the Single Speed forum so I am putting it here. Doesn’t matter; it qualifies for all three. Where to begin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Couple weeks ago, several of us took a ride up a trail we’ve come to know as Cantellia Falls. At higher elevation, we hit that wonderful white stuff that we’ve come to affectionately refer to as “why in the hell is it still snowing in April”. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Needless to say, I was chasing Sparty down the trail and my front wheel clipped a rock. My bike went that way and I did a Charlie Hustle down the trail and landed on my arm pit. I thought for the first two weeks that I sprained something but ended up going to the doc and he informed me that I cracked my humerus. Yeah, I didn’t think it was funny either. Doctor told me that I shouldn’t “mountainbike” for six weeks and allow the bone to heal. He didn’t tell me not to ride. The way I look at it, if a doctor tells me that I can’t ride a bike, then he better give me a prescription for gasoline and insurance better cover it. I’m a bicyclist not a driverist.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So I’ve been riding my “road bike” [slash] “drop bars” [slash] “elbows in” for the past several weeks. Speaking of “weeks” not using my arm has made it weak, which brings me up to the reason for this story. I’m building a SS commuter from my old mtb to help rehab myself back into mtbing [slash] elbows out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So this was my old Trek 970. I bought it when I was in college which happened to be located in one of the flattest places in the country i.e. Bowling Green, Ohio. RAILS TO TRAILS baby. Prior to this, I was a roadie. After college, I moved to Oregon and remained a roadie only it was on the Trek since the road bike was old and didn’t make the move. Eventually, I hooked up with the DOD and the Trek became a real mountain bike for the first time. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]It didn’t take long for the SS bug to bite and I converted it to a SS by chopping off the dropouts and brazing on Rohloff sliders. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I railed this for a couple years until I justified dropping some coin on a custom Ti frame. Best investment I ever made followed closely by my Light & Motion HID.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]But the Trek didn’t die. A friend had his bike stolen so he’s been riding it for the past year and recently gave it back. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So now here it sits in my bike stand waiting to be put together and I plan to put the rigid fork back on since the Fox Vanilla is pretty beat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Here’s a box of stuff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Here’s an old wheel set.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]And I have some slicks on order along with a chainring and I should have it back on the street by next week. I’ll be sure to post some photos when it’s together. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Caz[/SIZE]

I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

meatier showers
    Very humerus tale, Caz. Funny, I never figgered you for much of a smiley emoticon guy. Guess I was wrong. Sorry. Well anyway, it'll be good to have you back on the Disciples of Dirt's off-road rides again soon. Meanwhile you'll be commuting on a wolf in sheeps clothing, eh. All the best to you.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You were a roadie? Eeewwww!!

p.s. not being able to ride sucks

p.p.s.

Known Mountainbiker
    I don't get it. Are you saying that my post is laden'd with emoticons because I don't see them and I didn't put them there.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Outrageously happy
    This thread has added a new word to my lexicon: driverist.

Great story, and hope the bones are healing well.