View Poll Results: Do you wear work clothes on the bike?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Never. That's gross.

95 57.58%
  • Always. Not a problem.

43 26.06%
  • I do both depending on mood and temperature.

25 15.15%
  • I'm a pro sponsored rider, so my work clothes ARE bike clothes.

2 1.21%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I Ride for Donuts

Do you wear your work clothes on the commute?

This thread is inspired by the "pantleg in the chain" thread...something I've never had to worry about. I don't ever wear work clothes on the bike. I have a cabinet/closet thingy at work and I keep shirts/pants/shoes there. I swap out these clothes every week or so when I'm nearby with a car. I carry underwear/undershirt with me in the backpack...so the only thing I ever wear at work that I was wearing on the bike is socks, sometimes. I carry an extra pair of socks in the pack in case of a freak rainstorm that produces soggy ankles, and most of the winter I'm wearing neoprene socks on the bike and carrying my sock socks in the pack.

I like this system because it allows me to wear warm cycling clothes in the winter, and eliminates any hygeine issues at work on a particularly sweaty day. In fact, it works so well that I don't understand why anyone who rides their bike to work would suffer through wearing work clothes on the bike. Enlighten me?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    With a 17 Mile RT commute, work clothes live @ work and get swapped out when dirty. No way I could do my commute in denim and cotton.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    On my commute to school (Gateway Community College, PHX, Az.), about 9 miles. Bike shorts under cargo shorts. To work, about 3 miles, just regular work clothes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just carry my work clothes and a small hand towel with me in a backpack for my 14 mile commute. If I sweat just make sure I just wait until I cool off before I change. I keep some hair gel and colongne in my desk to do some touch ups when I get there. I also keep a light jacket at work so I don't have to wear my bright yellow jacket out to lunch.

weirdo
    Never, but not gross.
    My work clothes are leased uniforms (with laundry service ) that aren`t supposed to go home with us. I don`t wear any bike specific clothes either, so if I worked somewhere else I probably would wear my work clothes on the bike.

namagomi
    I'll wear work clothes,short commute, biggest problem is wearing holes in the ass of the pants or ending up with shiny spots on synthetics. Sweat isn't a problem... that is a pace issue, just gotta slow down.

PRETENDURO
    Option (5): I am unemployed, so I donít have work clothes at this point. Every commute is a leisure ride, apparently.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I do wear my work clothes to work but not sure how or where I'd change if I did not. I don't have changing area at work other than a public restroom. Facility opens at 6 and I start work at 9 and it can get quite dirty in those 3 hours. I change my shirt and that's about it. My work pants are cotton mostly.

No space to store anything at work. I guess I do have a bike locker, but the bottom is open to the ground beneath and it tends to get wet from fog and sprinkler. There is appx 1" gap between the ground and the bottom of the panels on the locker.

mtbr member
    I do wear my work clothes while commuting, but my commute is only 3.6 miles...

Moderator Moderator
    I keep a week or so worth of work clothes at my "closet" at work (a cardboard box under a table) and wear bike stuff on the ride. To keep it neater, I bring home underwear & sox each day, and bring them if I don't have a stockpile. I am more tempted to wear bike stuff at work than the other way around. Today, for example, I took off the lycra bike shorts when I got to work, but got away with the (chamois-less) casual-looking baggies and a fresh polo shirt all day. I do have to go out in the field unexpectedly in all weather, so I keep stuff like steel-toe boots, parka, and raincoat at work so I don't have to wear a day-glo jacket that is only warm enough when biking. If I stay in the office, I find my work clothes stay really clean since I'm not walking through slush etc to my car, so a week's worth of clothes can be stretched out a bit. 1 good tip is drying/airing bike stuff on the side of the desk near thewall/ window & radiator - out of sight and hanging from those magnetic clippy things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just out of curiosity, what shirts do yall wear for riding? I've been commuting in in polyester athletic shirts (not bike specific) that are great for wicking but I'm finding that I still get cold from wind even though it's in the mid-50s outside.

I'm tempted to throw on my softshell but worried that it will be too much.

mtbr member
    Jseko -- At the dealership, we're "business casual", so that's a golf shirt or button down shirt over khakis with leather casual shoes (not sneakers).

This time of year I throw on a Fila shell-style lite jacket (I don't have bicycle-specific clothing).

mtbr member
    Most of the miles I count as 'commuting' ), volunteer, vehicle-snubbing errand runs, are casual to business casual clothes in 6-10 mile RT runs with downtime between. If I want clean pantleg on khakis, it is the commutter with the chain guard. Sometimes a chamois cycling underwear or cycling shorts as underwear to ease bluejean seams. If it is really hot, so that people who should know better are displaying way too much flesh, I retaliate with cycling lycra. I figure since I am over a half foot taller and carrying less than half the weight, they make me look GOOD!

I Ride for Donuts
    Good info, thanks for the responses... some good ideas in here. jseko, I ride in moisture wicking base layer tops (mostly bike specific, some t-shirt style), and a softshell all winter. About 45-55 is the tough temp range for this combo... the softshell is too warm and the shirt is too cold. I will often pack a long sleeve cotton t-shirt in the backpack and wear it over the light shirt for the ride home (usually still in the softshell in the mornings when the afternoon temps are 45-55). 55ish I will sometimes just leave the white cotton t-shirt on after work and throw the bike shirt over it...that cuts the wind enough to make it tolerable.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko
    Just out of curiosity, what shirts do yall wear for riding? I've been commuting in in polyester athletic shirts (not bike specific) that are great for wicking but I'm finding that I still get cold from wind even though it's in the mid-50s outside.

I'm tempted to throw on my softshell but worried that it will be too much.
    A windvest over the shortsleeves is perfect for that kid of weather...the bike ones are usually thin nylon in front and part mesh in back (also very small if you get too warm and need to carry it). A casual vest would work too if it is lightweight enough. An undershirt layer can add just the right coziness too. It sounds like most of my shirts are like yours.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have a short commute so I typically wear commuter pants that I leave on and change the shirt. There is a shower @ the office so on scorcher days or when I decide to take a long route, I don't offend colleagues.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Lately, I only ride a couple miles to school. I don't have anything at all stored there, so it would be pretty silly for me to dress differently.

When I was working the same place every day and had a locker, even though it was only a half hour commute most days, I kept a pair of shoes there so if I got caught in the rain, I'd have dry shoes. Sometimes I'd ride in with tights (again, in case of rain) and change into pants at work.

If I had a longer commute and a place to store stuff, though, I'd definitely dress up as Lance Armstrong to do it. Wouldn't want to be stuck wearing the same nasty, sweaty stuff all day, and if I'm already changing clothes to commute, I may as well commit to it all the way and be comfortable.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Gotta love the REI gear sales. Picked me up a nice Marmot Tempo soft shell. I think this is their thinnest soft shell, but it's water repellent and very breathable. No fleecey insulation stuff inside. I rode to the grocery store this afternoon with a polyester shirt under this jacket...magnificent. Cuts the wind down some, and doesn't insulate too much.

Additionally picked up a Helly Hansen 1/4 zip pull over that seems thicker than the Marmot soft shell, but thinner than the soft shell I was worried about wearing previously and without the fleece stuff inside. Very stretchy too. Haven't tried this one out yet...but I'm thinking it might be too warm. Might work out for mid-layer when snowboarding though.

These might be exactly what I need for my mild mourning commutes. Not together obviously.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I normally carry a different shirt in my backpack to wear for work. I can wear shorts at work, but if it's colder I bring a pair of pants to wear at work as well.

Frt Range, CO
    I change to a laundered/pressed shirt but that's it. 6-10 miles one-way.

dirtbag
    Work clothes go in a pannier.

The only time I rode in work clothes was when I worked in Norcal and my commute was a little over a mile.
    Amolan

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    At home on a 22km one way commute I definitely have a change of clothes, but in Canada where my commute is about 5km it's jeans and a t-shirt, a hoody if it's cold. Benefits of wearing casuals at work I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i dress like a bum, or "casual" if you prefer, at work and off of work. cut-off jean shorts, black t-shirts out of a bag, sweat and grease on everything...

however, i fall into the crowd of "barely-professionals" whose opinions are less that useful in this debate. But hey, you asked...

mtbr member
    I have a locker at work and carry clothes in my pannier. In my locker are shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc. I unfold my clothes, hang them, then shower while they straighten back out post-ride and I look fresh as a daisy each day
    :wq

mtbr member
    I wear uniforms provided by and washed by the company. So I wear my cycling gear to work and change when I get there. Wear my bike socks all day and underwear is swapped out on the days I drive to work. My commute is just under 10 miles and cant imagine what it would be like to wear anything other than cycling gear.
    °uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ °°°pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast