View Poll Results: Do You Wear a Helmet?

Voters
517. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Always, without fail. (Personal Choice)

361 69.83%
  • Yes - Always. (Required by local laws)

15 2.90%
  • Yes - Sometimes (If Certain Situations are Present)

98 18.96%
  • No - Never Have & Never Will (Personal Choice)

14 2.71%
  • No - Don't See The Need for My Type of Riding

29 5.61%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AZ
    banned
    Without fail, no sense to me no to.

Life on a Sandbar

New question here. Do You Wear a Helmet & Why?

This is a simple poll to answer a burning question many in my group ask during our rides and during commutes; some of us do, some don't, and some on occassion, depending on circumstances.

Frys With That, Please
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP
    This is a simple poll to answer a burning question many in my group ask during our rides and during commutes; some of us do, some don't, and some on occassion, depending on circumstances.
    I wear for health and safety reasons.

And that's in addition to being in the E.M.S. field.
    Last edited by cda 455; 03-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I always wear a helmet without fail. I just don't see why people wouldn't. The common complaints are that helmets are hot or heavy. I just don't see helmets being too hot or too heavy to justify risking my brain.

mtbr member

Seriously.......

I can't believe this is even a question for all of you......

Here in NZ, it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the road / footpath etc with out a Helmet on. (this does't seem to stop a wee collection of try hard, D-Bag, hipster, winkers sporting a mustache, cycling cap and latest steel SS rig they bought complete online to fit into a lame @rse subculture that is soooooooo 2000 Bra) Sorry, don't mean to hate, but C'mon you know who you are

Many folks i ride with can pedal a Bicycle between 25 - 50 kmhr on the open road

Have you seen a cyclist hit a car at 25kmhr, 30 kmhr, 35kmhr?? or a solid object, or clip wheels with another rider??

I have,and it's a bloody big mess at that speed......at 40, 45, 50 kmhr - you will be incredibly lucky to walk away without a very serious injury, or even walk away at all

Bones mend, flesh heals, scars look cool and have bragging rights, bikes are insured and can be replaced.
    Smash your head open on the road at 20 - 50kmhr because you choose not to wear a helmet and you are looking at serious life changing consequences, quite possibly death.

There is a reason why laws are in place - to protect you!!
    IMHO - riding a bicycle on the open road, on the footpath, on the trails.....wherever, without a proper helmet is just plain stupid!!

Just Sayin - do what yah like -

WEAR A HELMET.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    What would I check for "almost always"?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbitSlims
    Have you seen a cyclist hit a car at 25kmhr, 30 kmhr, 35kmhr?? or a solid object, or clip wheels with another rider??
    I've been that cyclist, was hauled off in an ambulance to the local trauma center. Helmet was completely destroyed, but other than a bunch of road rash, bad bruises and some torn muscles and ligaments.. well and a minor concussion.. I was OK.

So, I always wear one
    mike

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, I wear a helmet. I have been unable to find a reasonably priced roadside/trailside brain surgery course offered in my area.

mtbr member
    Ok -

Thanks for contributing to the topic - interesting thoughts.

ATB.

mtbr member

!!

informative, educational, helpful, inspiring - outstanding reply, thanks for your contribution.

just wondering how you gauge wether or not a ride is "hairy enough" or not?? - you must be SOME rider if you have the ability to control all the variables that can account for you not coming off your bike - truly remarkable -

mtbr member
    Jack Rabbit: "you choose not to wear a helmet and you are looking at serious life changing consequences, quite possibly death."

Or even EXPELLED! (Harry Potter tribute). I think death is 'life changing'' sort of by definition. Made me smile.

My tale in detail is too long for here. Suffice it to say, I have had and used a helmet since way back in the days of the Bell white 'glass? hemispheres with red reflective stripes and NACA shaped air vents. Nobody but profs on three or five speed Raleighs wore them. Very uncool. Bought my current Mercian to replace a bike I totalled into a Chrysler and the shop owner tried to sell me one. In two weeks with a cyclist riding out of a 1-way street into me and an OTB after something fell into my front wheel, (that one a very near thing head damage wise), I had an epiphany insurance-value wise (only took three incidents). I figured cool sucks if you're dead. It also mounts my mirror, which in the traffic here is the second best safetry device.

IMHO wear one, or if you don't make sure your organ donor card/info is up to date. Save your own life or save several others. Your choice.

YMMV. The opinions in this post are not necessarily the opinion of the OP or any other MTBR member, but remember, the OP asked.

Ride safe. Ride on.

Brian.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbitSlims
    I can't believe this is even a question for all of you......

Here in NZ, it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the road / footpath etc with out a Helmet on. (this does't seem to stop a wee collection of try hard, D-Bag, hipster, winkers sporting a mustache, cycling cap and latest steel SS rig they bought complete online to fit into a lame @rse subculture that is soooooooo 2000 Bra) Sorry, don't mean to hate, but C'mon you know who you are

Many folks i ride with can pedal a Bicycle between 25 - 50 kmhr on the open road

I have,and it's a bloody big mess at that speed......at 40, 45, 50 kmhr - you will be incredibly lucky to walk away without a very serious injury, or even walk away at all

Bones mend, flesh heals, scars look cool and have bragging rights, bikes are insured and can be replaced.
    Smash your head open on the road at 20 - 50kmhr because you choose not to wear a helmet and you are looking at serious life changing consequences, quite possibly death.

There is a reason why laws are in place - to protect you!!
    IMHO - riding a bicycle on the open road, on the footpath, on the trails.....wherever, without a proper helmet is just plain stupid!!

Just Sayin - do what yah like -

WEAR A HELMET.
    They just implanted the PSA in your head so you could regurgitate it, didn't they?

Please -- scare tactics went out with Hitchcock.

I'm SUCH a square....
    BTW -- I wear mine when I feel like the ride will be hairy enough to warrant it. Off-road, yes; bad weather, yes. Group rides, yes, required.

PRETENDURO
    Yes. If I get hamburgered by an SUV, at least my brain will still function, while I sit there, a drooling paralysed paraplegic. Iíve had plenty of falls/crashes, not once (yet) have I landed on my head, and I hope I never do. If I ever do, I will be wearing a helmet when it happens. Oh, and most of the trails where I ride require helmet use.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I've come to find my brain useful at times and would like to keep it around for awhile.

With that said, I sometimes slip up when I'm riding only a very short distance on residential streets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Always. A degloving tends to bring a little perspective into your life.

I can deal with gravel rash, having my skull shining in the sun is uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    I wear one all the time, but I also ride with gloves and eye protection all the time too. On the trails I've been smacked in the head by enough trees that I don't know why anyone mountain biking wouldn't wear a helmet, if only because getting a branch in the head ruins the flow.

For commuting though...everyone should have at least some familiarity with the concerns on the other side of the debate:

http://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1068.html
    http://www.vehicularcyclist.com/lobby.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...3B_new_designs

The gist being (these are all from the first link):

• Bicycle helmets probably have some protective value, but not nearly as much as has been claimed, or most people seem to think.
    • Wearing a helmet does nothing to prevent you from being hit by a car.
    • Real bicycle safety involves learning how to ride properly.
    • Crash helmets could easily save more lives for motorists than bicyclists.
    • Helmet laws restrict freedom of choice, may result in the targeting of minorities, discourage cycling, make cycling more dangerous for those who remain, and shift the blame in car-bike collisions to helmetless cyclists even if it was the motorist who was at fault.

I Ride for Donuts
    I crashed and broke a helmet in half once... that was enough to keep me in one on every ride since.

I have kids learning to ride now too... the example factor is another reason.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Just to add to what I said above, I'm iffy on helmet evangelism because of two specific incidents that happened here a little while ago.

In one, an SUV illegally ran a red light, plowed into a car, and then both vehicles crashed into a cyclist who was killed. The first newspaper headline was something like "Cyclist not wearing helmet in fatal crash" which is ridiculous - we have no legal requirement for cyclists to wear helmets, and a helmet would have done nothing to protect them. It was discovered later that the cyclist actually had been wearing a helmet, but that the helmet was in pieces 100' away. But the first thing the media did was to blame the dead cyclist (who shouldn't have been on the roads in the first place, obviously).

Another time some jackasses strung fishing line across a multiuse trail, and a cyclist was nearly garroted. The first response from everyone I talked to was "Were they wearing a helmet?" Which is also ridiculous.

So I wear a helmet whether commuting or on the trails, but the cult of the helmet has grown well beyond reason.

Life on a Sandbar
    I'm one of those "SOME" riders; wearing a helmet is optional for me, and when I do, it's because it's required by either club rules, or because the situation is "HAIRY" enough warranting its use. Taking a spin and neighborhood tour on a Sunday morning provides very little, if any risk, judging by the near abscence of automobiles on the streets, and so I go sans helmet. While riding on a hard packed trail along the beach, the only risk to my noggin' in a fall is that white mound of soft sand or "elephant" grass that wants to cause great trauma to this hard head. I believe it's a personal choice, and I don't judge others for wearing or not wearing a helmet. Somehow, my generation grew up riding those 50+ lb Schwinn's and Columbia's and survived the many disasters that befall wild and crazy kids of that era; the only helmets we ever saw was in a newspaper article about those guys in Europe wearing "hairnets", who rode some crazy, long, and drawn out race in Europe on those sleek "English" 10 speed racers we wanted so bad.

Life on a Sandbar
    newfangled, great post with sources, BTW.

weirdo
    I wear one for the most part. I`ll toodle around checking adjustments without one and from time to time I`ve found myself helmetless a few blocks after leaving for work, just keep going. You`d think that the 99+% of the times I take off it`s WITH a helmet that pedalling without would feel strange and it would be impossible to not notice being without, but it does happen to me.

My reason for wearing one used to be that I don`t want to be a bad example for the kiddies who either seee me go by or whom I`m taking along. I did have one helmet busting mtb crash a few years ago that gave me another reason to wear one, at least for the trails.

Short trips around home? Like I said above, I often take little spins without, but I do remember the pics that some guy posted from the last time this topic came up. He was a "usually wears" type who took his dog out for a pee/walk with no lid and rode straight into a trench (utility repair), ended up with a nasty Frankensteinish set of stitches on his temple. You guys remember that story? I forgot his name.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Or even EXPELLED! (Harry Potter tribute). I think death is 'life changing'' sort of by definition. Made me smile.
    How `bout "Death sometimes changes people for the worse."
    Joseph Heller tribute (from one of the characters in God Knows).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I once forgot mine in the morning and didn't realize it until I was coasting down a hill and wondered why my head felt so cold. On the way home I got a ticket for running stop sign by a newbie officer and his handler. At least for me, it was bad karma to not wear one. (Plus all the aforementioned reasons.)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I just cannot any reason why I would NOT. I just don't see any downside, other than maybe helmet-hair If I have been wearing it a while.

I guess there might be the rare circumstance when I don't want to carry the helmet with me when I get where I am going, and think there is a real chance of it being stolen if I leave it with the bike.....
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast