mtbr member

New question here. Do you remove your seat or wheel?

I am going to begin commuting to and from school in about a week. I was just wondering if any of you remove your seat or front wheel when you lock up your bike?

Unfortunately, I can't trust everyone on campus and I don't want my bike or any part of it to be stolen.

Comments/Suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ABSOLUTELY YES. anything that can be removed quickly can and will be taken. QR seat and wheels are huge targets.

mtbr member
    Take the quick release crap off. Bolt it down. That way the thief at least needs a set of tools before hand. It cuts out the petty thiefs, and those who do have to tools to take the wheels or seat off probably has the tools to take the whole bike as well.

Also, a plastic bag over the seat, duct tape, and other techniques to crappify your bike also helps from it becoming a target for theft.
    And if it is a nice bike, taking the pedals off is a form of security as well. But that might get old to do everyday.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i'm sure you've built your own bikes before, and realize how easy it is to strip a rig in a very short amount of time.

that's why i commute on a rusty old specialized.

with one of those cruiser saddles.

mtbr member
    I don't use a QR for my seat and I use one of these to lock up front tire with frame...

Trek Streetwise U-lock w/ Cable

Mark
    Dec 2007
    If you think it is nice enough to steal, maybe you shouldn't leave it alone.

Kinda like a really cute girl in a bar....
    ===============

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i use a lock, locking skewers (the good onguard ones) and worry about losing my stem/bars/brakes.

mtbr member
    Thanks everbody. I will probably remove my seat, use a u lock and a cable lock, and hope for the best on the rest. It isn't the nicest bike but I sure love it. I just got into mountain biking and have had my bike for about two months. It is a Giant Rincon, a good starter bike, I think. I am hoping that in about a year I can afford to get a better equiped bike and I can make this bike my full time roady.

Thanks for all the input and tips.

weirdo
    Removing your seat is probably the safest bet, but if you get tired of it, see if your LBS has a box of "take-off" seats for cheap. Might even be able to find a $25 wheelset.

Professional Sociopath
    I got a shortish cable lock that is just long enough to go through the saddle rail and twist around the post so they don't get in the way and when I lock it up I put locks through both wheels even though the hubs are both non QR.

Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member
    luckilly I park inside at work, but my son used to bike to school but one day someone stripped all the QR parts of all the bikes so now he just walks or begs for a ride. PS- parking was behind the library because he and all the others parking there were to lazy to bike uphill to the school bike area

one suggestion from your pic, watch out the cable lock doesn't dislodge yer tail light- lost mine last week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    be like me and ride old bikes. unless the thieves have allen wrenches and 5/8 sockets, they can only envy my sweet wheels and seats.

Professional Sociopath
    I have tidied up the cable lock with zip ties since the picture was taken as the cable annoyed me as it rubbed on my legs when pedalling.
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Get rid of the QR on your seat, bottom line if your not in a high theft area it's worthless, if your in a high theft area, it's worthless.

A U lock combined with a cable or a NY FAGETABOUTIT it the way to roll. I just tale off the front and leave the rear on, don't want my derailer, BB etc to get messed up sitting on the concrete, and then just secure it all together. I also have a pair of thick rubber boots I put over my fork ends...high end device ( chair leg feet covers)

The only QR's I have and will ride with are my wheels.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!