mtbr member
    Nov 2013

do you have kickstands on your Commuter Bike?

I have a REI Novara Safari that I use for commuting around on bike paths. It never leaves the pavement. I am 56.
    I am thinking of ordering a ESGE Double Kickstand.
    It costs more than $50 on ebay.
    Up until now I have just been leaning it up against something, but in a large parking lot I have to lay it down on its side with all the groceries or whatever in the panniers.
    Also: Is a double stand like this durable? will I just kick it to pieces?
    (I accidently posted this same question to the younger trail riding mountain bikers-they dont like kickstands)

mtbr member

do you have kickstands on your Commuter Bike?

I have a standard ol kickstand. Love it, use it all the time. Go for it.

mtbr member
    My commuter has a standard kick stand, pain if it didn't. No way I'd pay $50 for a kick stand though lol, but looks sweet.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadude View Post
    (I accidently posted this same question to the younger trail riding mountain bikers-they dont like kickstands)
    LOL, I don't think it was a matter of not liking them. In fact I even said it was ok on a commuter bike. You just didn't give the information you gave here though and I think since it is a mountain biking forum everyone assumed it was for a mountain bike that would see mountain trails.

For your purpose, I think a kickstand will be fine.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a kickstand on my ebike commuter (road bike) and will be getting one on my new custom built (Spectrum) commuter/touring bike. It is so handy when packing your panniers with groceries or other cargo. For my full suspension moutain bike and fat bike I have not saw a need for a kickstand as I don't haul cargo with them.

I'd rather be on my bike
    It really depends on what you are using your commuter for. I personally don't, but I only ride to work, not the grocery store, etc. If I need to stop for some reason, I either lean it against a tree or pole, or my body if needed. If that doesn't work, I can lay it on the ground carefully. $50 seems steep for any type of kickstand, but that is just my opinion. What about a standard kick stand that most shops have in stock for about $10? Will that not work due to the possible load of groceries or panniers?
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1398/2500

mtbr member
    I've got a standard kickstand, and it works great for grocery loads and all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    It really depends on what you are using your commuter for. I personally don't, but I only ride to work, not the grocery store, etc. If I need to stop for some reason, I either lean it against a tree or pole, or my body if needed. If that doesn't work, I can lay it on the ground carefully. $50 seems steep for any type of kickstand, but that is just my opinion. What about a standard kick stand that most shops have in stock for about $10? Will that not work due to the possible load of groceries or panniers?
    Yes, could be a standard will work. Ok for only $10. I just saw a lot of the double pfleuger and ESGE on bikes on youtube, and I thought it was the way to go. Ill look into it.
    Im flying from Bangkok Thailand back to Alaska where my bike is today

Moderator Moderator
    No, it would just sink into the snow or mud, or skitter across the ice 9 months of the year

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: do you have kickstands on your Commuter Bike?

The Pletscher double is probably the gold standard, as far as they go, but the ESGE is good too.

I have to echo what others are saying, however. Unless you aren't locking or placing the bike in a rack, a kickstand provides very little in the way of function.

Cargo bikes (loads over 50-60 pounds) are the exception, from my experience. When there is a large or dynamic load, being able to move around the bike to load it can be invaluable.

Depending on what you want to do, a center mount kickstand and a second, rear mount kickstand will provide much of the same stability at less cost. They are fiddly to get set just right, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadude View Post
    I have a REI Novara Safari that I use for commuting around on bike paths. It never leaves the pavement. I am 56.
    I am thinking of ordering a ESGE Double Kickstand.
    It costs more than $50 on ebay.
    Up until now I have just been leaning it up against something, but in a large parking lot I have to lay it down on its side with all the groceries or whatever in the panniers.
    Also: Is a double stand like this durable? will I just kick it to pieces?
    I've used that same kickstand everyday for the past three years. My bike is heavy, I sometimes have it pretty heavily loaded, and I'm a ~280lb Clydesdale. I've had zero issues with durability (it's Swiss!) and I'm generally pretty tough on gear. I also occasionally take it on (light) trails, no problems there either. About once a winter (very wet and gritty here) it'll start getting to where it doesn't quite want to fold up easily and I'll give it a blast of WD-40 and it'll be good until next year.

Two tips:

1) you might be able to find a Swiss Army surplus one for less. I got one from Swiss Link for about $35. These will only be available in black.

2) I did find that it had a tendency to rotate over time. There is a kit that provides two "sandwiches" to correct this. It's a big six dollars through Rivendell (where I got it, probably other places have it too).

Pletscher Kickstand Hardware

Some people cut down the legs so the bike doesn't sit up so high on the stand when it is up. A hacksaw will suffice for this. Personally, I like it up high, it lets me work on it roadside if I need to. Comes in real handy when changing a flat sometimes! I've got a great pic illustrating this somewhere. I'll dig it up tomorrow and post it.

Another upside of a double legged kickstand is they are more stable when loading the bike up. This really comes in handy if you are putting a lot of groceries on it, touring, or trying to strap down an awkward load.

My only gripe about these is that I seem to wear through the rubber feet of them fairly quickly. If you are ordering from somewhere that has these in stock, I'd recommend getting a spare set. Note that the double legged kickstand uses different feet than ESGE's similar single leg kickstand.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The Pletscher double is probably the gold standard, as far as they go, but the ESGE is good too.

I have to echo what others are saying, however. Unless you aren't locking or placing the bike in a rack, a kickstand provides very little in the way of function.

Cargo bikes (loads over 50-60 pounds) are the exception, from my experience. When there is a large or dynamic load, being able to move around the bike to load it can be invaluable.

Depending on what you want to do, a center mount kickstand and a second, rear mount kickstand will provide much of the same stability at less cost. They are fiddly to get set just right, though.
    I thought the Pletscher is the ESGE. Aren't they exactly the same? If not, I should clarify, I've been using the Pletscher. I'd swear they are identical though.

FWIW, I'm about to shell out for another Pletscher two legged kickstand for my other bike I'm building up. Well worth the money for the stability while loading it up and the ability to spin the drive train with it up on the kickstand.

It looks like the supply of surplus ones from the Swiss Army bikes have dried up, but outside outfitters has them for $37 right now.

Pletscher Two Leg Kickstand - Outside Outfitters
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: do you have kickstands on your Commuter Bike?

I use he Up Stand. Works great.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Pletscher two leg on the errand bike to help with loading groceries aboard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a kickstand on my commuter bike, and I definitely find it handy. I will also say, though, that a kickstand is not 100% reliable. A strong wind or bad angle, and the bike ends up falling over anyways. When it's loaded with groceries or panniers, it's even worse and more likely to fall over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    I have a kickstand on my commuter bike, and I definitely find it handy. I will also say, though, that a kickstand is not 100% reliable. A strong wind or bad angle, and the bike ends up falling over anyways. When it's loaded with groceries or panniers, it's even worse and more likely to fall over.
    This is part of why I really like the Pletscher two legged kickstand, it's very stable. I can only recall my bike falling over once, and that required it being without a wheel (lighter; changing a flat), on a awkward slope and it being quite windy.

Found the picture I was looking for:

Picked up a goathead in my front tire while on tour, but was very glad for this kickstand as I only had to dismount my front panniers to change the flat tire, and not my entire load (which is a little less than it appears, my camel back is resting across my rear rack while I undertake the repairs).
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model