Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm SUCH a square....

"Do you ever just cruise?"

My bro-in-law was sitting on the porch when I came home from work the other day; as usual, I was sweating, huffing, puffing, and a bit unsteady from hammering, as I almost always do. As I stumbled up onto the porch and sat heavily in the chair, he looked at me with a little twinkle in his eye and asked, "Do you ever just cruise when you're on the bicycle?"

I had to answer truthfully -- hardly ever. Besides the endorphin rush of beating myself up on the bike, there's the issue of health & fitness; I'm sneaking up on 50, and I refuse to grow soft, fat, and sloppy.

Now, oddly, since that day, I've had three "cruise" rides on my commute -- 1 going in, 2 coming home. Part of it has been the jekyll/hyde weather we've had for a few days, but a lot of it has just been, "aw, the hell with it, go a little easier today."

I'm looking at a job transfer soon within my company, which will more than double my commute distance, as well as give me a lot of 'new views' -- most on the Rivergreenway, the local MUP. I'm betting the transfer will rejuvenate my riding, as I do feel bored by the routes I've flogged for the last two years.

So, what about the rest of you? Are you a drill sergeant to yourself, or do you leave yourself some 'Ben & Jerrys' (comfort) room?
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't when I have a longish distance to go, but lately I've done more cruising. I find I go slower naturally when on MUPs and quit streets versus busier, car heavy routes too.

mtbr member
    The day after a big ride i usually take it slow

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree with M_S. If I ride on the greenway, I tend to go cruise because of slow bike and pedestrian traffic. Our local club also does a MTB road ride and we end up cruising around the city.

Our weather decided to turn into fall all the sudden. The highs dropped 20 degrees over the weekend. It's starting to be cool enough in the morning for long sleeves, or else I'll just have to start riding harder.

I Ride for Donuts
    I tell myself I'm going to 'just cruise' every now and then, but I don't listen to myself very well. I wind up hamering pretty much every day on my commute. I arrive at home in the same state you described in the first post. Generally the first order of business is about a 5 minute shirtless pause in front of the swamp cooler. In the winter I head straight for the porch and sit on the porch swing in the snow until I stop sweating.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Don't believe the Hype...
    I only only cruise when it's a booze crooze...But that's not really commuting is it?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I pretty routinely spin a low gear, and I often find myself going pretty quickly. I pretty much never stand up and hammer.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I agree with M_S. If I ride on the greenway, I tend to go cruise because of slow bike and pedestrian traffic. Our local club also does a MTB road ride and we end up cruising around the city.

Our weather decided to turn into fall all the sudden. The highs dropped 20 degrees over the weekend. It's starting to be cool enough in the morning for long sleeves, or else I'll just have to start riding harder.
    We must ride at different times, bud -- I hardly EVER see others on the greenway! Never seem to have a problem if I want to slam out a 50-minute end-to-ender.

Yup, temps fell off a cliff -- picking up up some full-finger gloves tomorrow!

fort wenty
    I crank it between work at home most of the time because I'm always thinking of the next hill and how I want to be over it. However, on the last 5km (after the last proper hill) I like to cruise, also at this time of year, the sun is setting on the final stretch so I even get some killer views to enjoy.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I only ride easy when I'm trying to stay with someone slower. Solo... I'm at 80% or better all the time.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I haul ass on the way to work (usually running late) then take it easy on the way home ( which is downhill anyway)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    My bro-in-law was sitting on the porch when I came home from work the other day; as usual, I was sweating, huffing, puffing, and a bit unsteady from hammering, as I almost always do. As I stumbled up onto the porch and sat heavily in the chair, he looked at me with a little twinkle in his eye and asked, "Do you ever just cruise when you're on the bicycle?"

I had to answer truthfully -- hardly ever. Besides the endorphin rush of beating myself up on the bike, there's the issue of health & fitness; I'm sneaking up on 50, and I refuse to grow soft, fat, and sloppy.

Now, oddly, since that day, I've had three "cruise" rides on my commute -- 1 going in, 2 coming home. Part of it has been the jekyll/hyde weather we've had for a few days, but a lot of it has just been, "aw, the hell with it, go a little easier today."

I'm looking at a job transfer soon within my company, which will more than double my commute distance, as well as give me a lot of 'new views' -- most on the Rivergreenway, the local MUP. I'm betting the transfer will rejuvenate my riding, as I do feel bored by the routes I've flogged for the last two years.

So, what about the rest of you? Are you a drill sergeant to yourself, or do you leave yourself some 'Ben & Jerrys' (comfort) room?
    bigpedaler, try not to cruise! U spend so much time and effort to train yrself and all it takes just 2-3weeks to drop yr stamina lvl badly..

Recently, my bic got some problem. Dare not go fast. While Spare bic is with the police but needed to be keen until my case of my bic being stolen settle before returning back to me.

After 2 weeks of cruising and my only bic problem fix up, I now resume full training. My timing was slower by 15%. Usual commuting takes 18mins now becomes 20mins plus.. So sad. I think I will need more than 1 months time to bring myself back to tip top lvl.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    I only ride easy when I'm trying to stay with someone slower. Solo... I'm at 80% or better all the time.
    I thought 80% WAS riding easy...

(kidding)

Gotta admit - I hammer it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

whats the hurry?

I have a 6 mile commute that's fairly flat. I give myself an hour.
    I stop at Whole Foods and have a coffee and a bagel.
    I take my sweet time. What is the hurry? it's early I'm in no mood. I crank the ipod and just roll. If i get passed by another bike I'll catch him and be sure to pass him but it is rare I see anyone else going my way. On the way home I try to go a different way every time, for the sake of variety, with no concern to getting home at a particular time.

I'm SUCH a square....
    shim04, I'm gonna drop some fitness over the winter ANYWAY, simply because I'm not doing as much overall. It always comes back, sometimes even before Memorial Day.

The steady diet of cooler weather we've had here (NE Indiana) has had an effect, too -- muscles don't warm up as easily, so commute times are increasing slightly. I'm off-pace about 1mph.... The earlier sunsets keep me from going longer after work too, as my helmet light has been on-&-off about four times (presently off -- forgot to re-attach this AM) for other purposes.

Soon, though, I'll be transferring locations with my employer, effectively doubling my commute -- WHOO-RAHH!!!! Add to that the fact that my daughter is getting tough enough on the bike that we can ride at a decent pace for a couple hours, and I'm in a pretty good place right now. (We did one yesterday; there's a section of sidewalk by a local high school that is just DESTROYED -- looks like a team of dump trucks rolled over it -- more technical than a lot of trails! She loves it, and we have to hit it every time we do a big ride. More fun than most perople deserve!)

Slowly but surely...
    Depends on how late I am, if there's another rider I just have to overtake, and what's on the ipod
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    I only only cruise when it's a booze crooze...But that's not really commuting is it?
    It's commuting for me! I'm a univeristy student though, so a drunken ride home from the campus pub is a weekly affair.

I cruise to school, which is all down hill, and kill myself coming home, (last pitcher at the pub seems like a bad idea at that point...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hammer the grades and cruise the rest. I have just one gear.
    I ride my commute, pub rides, some errands, and with the family to Sunday breakfast once in a while. So I have no motivation to kill myself by training.
    plus all my bikes are already cruzers.

mtbr member
    Despite a few years of telling myself "I'm going to start doing intervals on the way home", I just cruise. I don't want to be all sweaty when I get to work. On the way home I'll sprint through intersections and occasionally motorpace big vehicles but I'm usually not huffing and puffing.

Commuter/SS/XC Rider
    I typically cruise on my ride back home. In the morning I put a lot into my ride and it helps get some energy out. After the long day has been had,though, I'm usually pretty exhausted so I take it easy on the ride home.
    Anyone can be complicated but it takes wisdom and a conscious effort to achieve simplicity.

Paste eater
    Commuting? I almost exclusively cruise while commuting. Kinda nice just to cruise and relzx on the way in and out of work. THough FWIW, I commute in street clothes on a SS/FG.

MTB B'dos
    Cruise all the time, that's what commuting is all about to me. My bike is my transport so I don't want to arrive soaking wet with sweat. I'll push on occassion, but only if I'm heading home or somewhere that it doesn't matter if I arrive all stink - our low temps down here are around 75F, hot anywhere upwards of 90F.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is one stretch on my way home...it's about 7 or 8 blocks of beautiful old houses and well kept yards and some of the smoothest asphalt you've ever seen. I rarely see a car on that street and it's nice to just kick back and enjoy the silence and the surroundings.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Tweez, I think I'd likely do about one pedal stroke per block with atmosphere like that! THERE'S a reason not to smoke it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah...this town has its moments. Mostly, it's meth central but there is the occasional oasis. The historic district has a bunch of 100+ year old houses (old for the west coast) and they are all kept in immaculate condition.

Then...there's "felony flats." If you see someone running in that area, you automatically look for the person chasing them. When people see me in my helmet and cycling regalia, they stare at me like I'm in a freak show. I think this town still has the highest crime rate in the state. A real joy to live in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast