mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Do you commute when you are slightly sick?

Okay, I have a very slight head cold. Like many people unless I am really sick I prefer to go to the office and earn a buck.

When this happens I generally commuting anyways with the theory that if I am healthy enough to work I can also ride the bike easy. If I am not feeling up to riding to work I simply take the day off but for the days where I just have a slight cold I figure riding easy is not doing any harm.

Just for conversation what is your approach and why?
    Mark Farnsworth
    http://febikes.wordpress.com, Raleigh, NC

mtbr member

Re: Do you commute when you are slightly sick?

Ride.

I usually feel better after riding. Maybe it's endorphins?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Riding usually temporarily clears up any headcold issues I have. I've never really ridden with a stomach bug, but I could see that being a problem if you need to be near a washroom.

I've ridden with a chestcold a few times and normally that's been okay, but one time it did feel like I was inhaling flaming glass which wasn't great. And another time last winter I had a cough, and took the trails home, and was doing fine, but at one point I had to stop in the middle of the trail and have a 5 minute coughing fit, and then I was on my way again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    Ride.

I usually feel better after riding. Maybe it's endorphins?
    Gotta disagree with you there. It might make you temporarily feel better, but your body needs rest when you're sick. Riding might make that slight cold a bad cold, or simply make it last longer. My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and never let's me ride while I'm sick. With that being said, just because that's the right thing to do, it doesn't mean I always listen either. If the wife doesn't know I'm not feeling great, I'll often ride anyway.

Funny that this thread comes up now though. The past few days I've been having a bit of nausea and lower GI issues and I actually asked a friend who lives near me halfway through the day yesterday if she could bring me home at the end of the day, but I ended up feeling a bit better and rode. Same deal this morning, I woke up nauseous, but I felt better after half an hour or so, the ride ended up being fine.
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Distance has a lot to do with it for us. My girlfriend rides no matter what, but she only has 2.5 miles each way. I have a 10 mile hop, then the train then a 12 mile hop so 22 miles each way and on major roads. If I am not 95% then I drive.

I Ride for Donuts
    I ride. With a head cold, it does an amazing job of clearining out the goop... epic snot rockets all the way to work.

I subscribe to the "if I'm too sick to ride, I'm too sick to work" theory. That said, I've taken I think 3 sick days in 13 years.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

jrm
    mtbr member
    my history on the suject seems to point that it only prolongs things or makes um worse. If i have to stay home ill telecommute b/c i can't just sit around even when im sick.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Exercise adds stress but exercise boosts the immune system, so the question: How sick? is critical. If the exercise will be insult to injury, then no.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It depends on how sick I am... Head cold/ flu yes. When I came down with Pneumonia and Bronchitis I bused. Mostly cuz my lungs hurt so bad from riding it wasn't worth it. (I would feel horrible and very short of breath. I was also going way slower, and breathing way harder...) Granted I have only been riding in since May. But...

By the time I was better I MISSED my bike rides. MISSED them a lot. (two weeks, the first week I road in 3 times, the next once. It was all I could do to keep going at points.) Once I got back I got a new best time, and feel better riding then ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Like the others, I'll ride, depending.

If it's just a cold, I have at it, as it is usually gone in a day or so anyway. If it's flu (which I haven't had in years) or a stomach bug/cramps, no go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks guys, I my cold seems to be clearing. The riding seems to be fine but I am going crazy easy. In general I ride easy on my commute but especially while I am trying to manage the slight cold I am cycling at the athletic pace of walking. It feels good but I really want to open it up and go hard.

I figure a few more days....
    Mark Farnsworth

mtbr member
    That is a good philosiphy dtick to it and drink vitiman c!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Like the others, I'll ride, depending.

If it's just a cold, I have at it, as it is usually gone in a day or so anyway. If it's flu (which I haven't had in years) or a stomach bug/cramps, no go.
    These days, colds for me last a LOT longer. It doesn't seem to matter whether I ride or not, so as long as the cold hasn't completely KO'd me, I'll ride. But a little stuffiness is actually an invitation to ride. Getting the lungs going encourages my body to expel the gunk. Now lately, I've been having some GI issues and headaches. Nothing too severe, but bad enough that it wakes me up at night from time to time. No riding for me right now until I kick this bug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It was a mild cold but I actually felt the riding made me feel better. I went super easy and think moving air and blood around in my body was helpful for recovery.
    Mark Farnsworth