Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Do it all pack? X-Post

Any have any suggestions for a backpack that can be used for (ready?) commuting, day-pack, light-hike, college books, with water bladder and possibility of rain resistance?

My school backpack is almost 10 years old and the zippers are falling apart. It's time for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you going to want to carry a laptop in it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use the Maxpedition Monsoon and the Vulture II. The Monsoon doesn't get as much use since the Vulture came into use but for quick runs where I just need to sling and go, the Monsoon is it. The 2810CU of the Vulture II pretty much makes it a carry all.

Don't skimp on your gear. That goes for all of your gear.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    No, but I don't want books (school), gear (hiking), clothing (commuting) getting wet.

The Vulture II looks a bit too much for my application, and the Monsoon looks a bit too small.

I want something that is sleek and aerodynamic, but stays close to my body, while allowing enough space for 3 books and a binder. The Ergon BD 3 would fit the bill quite nicely, but I'm afraid it still too low to be comfortable to wear for hikes or around school.

I rarely overfill my backpack on day hikes, so a normal book bag would be enough size wise, but it doesn't have straps to attach anything on the outside, nor does it have hip supports.
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 09-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Then as far as Maxpedition goes, I'd recommend the Condor II, it falls comfortably between the Monsoon and the Vulture II.

Oakley makes some pretty rugged bags in what sounds like your ideal configurations

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I actually found Millet has some nice packs that are water proof as well as all the other stuff.

Natural body armor
    I'm testing the Detours Sienna 30 now. It has a rain cover in a pocket. works fine as daily commuter and I love the AirMax now that temps are hot (well at least here in California)

It has access for the water bladder and hose and an integral helmet holder.

"There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Zen,

Could you post up some pictures of the pack? Perhaps some of the inside compartments and what not? I'd like to see where the rain cover is and how it looks with it on.

This may be what I'm looking for.

Is it comfortable to wear when your not riding?

Laptop pocket?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a Marmot Garmsal that i like to use for light hikes/climbing gear. Its light, breatheable, sturdy, and has a slot for a water bladder.

http://marmot.com/spring_2008/equipm...r_flow/garmsal

I use an Osprey Aether for long hikes/backpacking.

Another GREAT option for light hikes and commuting would be a Osprey Kestrel. I love that pack, probably even more than my Marmot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ive got an assult 3 day military backpark from a military surplus store. It has clips on it to pull it in tight, a water bladder spot, and tons of room. I get to work at 6 in the morning and don't get back from class until 7 or 8 at night. This keeps everything i need for the day in it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been using this, available from REI for about $70.

http://www.rei.com/product/748089

It has loads of pockets, is very light weight, and comes with a rain cover (which I've never had to use). It is pretty small and streamlined on your back. You can read the reviews on REI's website to see if it is right for you.

mtbr member
    I hear nothing but good stuff about Wingnut backpacks. http://www.wingnutgear.com/press.cfm?id=16

bump and grind
    I like my Deuter Superbike. Lots of room, comfortable and light, helmet carry, rain cover, hydro slot, expandable, even has a slick built in wind barrier. It can carry my laptop in a pinch too.

For laptop commuting and when I dont need a hydration bladder, I use my Dakine Duel. Excellent organization, sturdy construction and tons of space. On overcast days, I bring a rain cover along. Not for long and rough rides though, since it lacks a waist belt for stability.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Both the Deuter Superbike and Novara Commuter are right along the style of the Detours Sienna 20, the Novara being the cheapest. All seem to have rain covers and hydration pack inserts.

The Detours is the largest of the group though, but also the most expensive. It does however have a hard rear shell that allows for better airflow along the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Osprey Stratos 24

I have an osprey stratos 24.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.ph...0&tab=features

I think it cost around 80 dollars at REI. I use it for every thing. I have ridden short and long rides with it with large and small loads. I have commuted with it. I have done canyon hiking/scrambling with it. I have carried books to/ from classes with it. I have even skied with it. Its one of the smallest/ lightest packs with a frame. The air core system makes it super comfy and a great summer pack. I found the air core system to be annoying in negative temperature/windy conditions but I stuffed a fleece vest in it and then my bladder stopped freezing and I was warmer and it was all good again. Most of the time I use this pack with a 100oz bladder, 2 spare tubes and tools, food, a light jacket, and a battery pack for my light. I have used it with 2 100oz reservoirs and found that to be fine too. I have even used it for mobile trail crew with a polaski and work boots strapped to the outside. I have also done a few ultra light over night hiking trips with it. This things comes in small medium and large which is a huge plus.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
    I hear nothing but good stuff about Wingnut backpacks. http://www.wingnutgear.com/press.cfm?id=16
    I'm running the Hyper 2.0. It is a phenomenal pack, but in this application I would worry about book carrying ability, though it might be fine. I guess I could always load mine up with some textbooks and find out.

Oh and while it is fine for hiking, the pack doesn't do well in running situations.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.