Moderator Moderator

Display Your Speed to be Safer?

Scots cyclist invents speed clock for bikes - The Scotsman

I think just an automatic brake light would be better.

mtbr member
    if i display my speed i'm just going to get pulled over more
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Necessity is the mother of invention, sometimes the an invention is born motherless. If I wanted to do this I'm sure I could just use a smart phone GPS and alter the speed display. The real question is "who cares how fast you're riding besides you?" Motorists always think you're too slow and other cyclists are either faster, slower or pacing with you. I like the brake light idea better.

mtbr member
    Driver Comment: "Now you want me to read too? I'm barely paying attention as it is. Lousy cyclists."

There was another product on kickstarter that aimed to give other road users some indication of a cyclist's speed (though that one did not use a numerical display, it was just a color change...even less useful, IMO) so this isn't the first attempt at doing something like this.

So many drivers ignore cyclists altogether that I doubt this will make much difference.

I also think a brake light (or lights) would be far more useful. With turn signals. with the controls for those signals mounted on the handlebars/levers for easy access and integration with the brake levers for the brake signal. better yet, make the brake signal dimmable based on the pressure you're putting on the levers.

mtbr member
    ^^ When a driver of a compact car gets compacted coming out of a side street by a Fire Truck with siren a-wailing and lights ablaze, you have to wonder if a significant minority are not paying any attention at all! (Indy recently.)

I don't think we get rear ended much braking to a stop as the reason is usually pretty obvious (stopped traffic, stop sign, yield, etc.) As to a passing vehicle coming over too soon, if I displayed 20 MPH would they look right to see if they cleared instead of coming over like I was a slow pedestrian? I doubt it. If I displayed 30 mph downhill to the front, would that stop a left hook? My bright helmet light did not work because they did not recheck my direction. So I suspect not. We can stop pretty fast so maybe an increasingly bright taillight would help some. Lane changes for some might be better with a turn signal. In Indiana, a cyclist in a dedicated turn lane need not signal the turn though it is needed to change into the lane.

Maybe a rear firing flare using the auto braking technology of some cars to detect and treat a vehicle approaching too fast and too close? Illegal, but that should back 'em off! A friend added a third windshield washer nozzle to his car aimed into the slip stream above the window for tailgaters. Backed them off. Trouble is someone getting squirted by us would decide that was an insult and a reason to run us down. Maybe using the same speed and proximity sensors, a rear facing air bag firing to cushion the blow?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Scots cyclist invents speed clock for bikes - The Scotsman

I think just an automatic brake light would be better.
    Definatly KISS

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    There was another product on kickstarter that aimed to give other road users some indication of a cyclist's speed (though that one did not use a numerical display, it was just a color change...even less useful, IMO) so this isn't the first attempt at doing something like this.

So many drivers ignore cyclists altogether that I doubt this will make much difference.

I also think a brake light (or lights) would be far more useful. With turn signals. with the controls for those signals mounted on the handlebars/levers for easy access and integration with the brake levers for the brake signal. better yet, make the brake signal dimmable based on the pressure you're putting on the levers.
    Modulate brake light intensity from deceleration, rather than brake pressure? Easier to measure and provides some extra light when you're slowing by not pedaling.

Actually that's a really simple thing. I should make one.

mtbr member
    ^ Also saves a relay of brake pressure from the levers to the light. It would be nice if it stayed bright until it detected acceleration forward when it would reset to normal level.

The speed display is of the size that if you can read it as a motorist you are far too close.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^ Also saves a relay of brake pressure from the levers to the light. It would be nice if it stayed bright until it detected acceleration forward when it would reset to normal level.

The speed display is of the size that if you can read it as a motorist you are far too close.
    I am thinking that this light should be separate from your blinkie. Off when not stopping. The accelerometer instead of switches or sensors in the brake levers would be a nice touch. Somewhat dim when coasting/slowing gently, but brightening as you decelerate quicker. And with a rapid flash, too. If the speed AND the brightness of the flash could increase as your decelerate quicker, I think that'd be a real attention-getter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So the thing you're describing sort of exists:
    Amazon.com: MAXXON wireless brake light: Sports & Outdoors
    A revolution in bicycle safety - A new brake light for bikes - Welcome to LucidBrake

Though I kind of take issue with the implementation, at least on the LucidBrake.

I'll add it to my stack of ideas to pursue if I find some free time. Would you guys want one?

While poking around for accelerometers I also found these. Could easily put them somewhere, wire to a USB A plug, and connect to a cheap USB battery pack. Would make good simple heated glove, or (and this is what I'm interested in) add some heat near the foot or ankle to keep the toes a little warmer.

I had to Google the MAXXON light to get a use vid.

Gotta say, I like the MAXXON better. With that said, I'd prefer if it was dimmable based on deceleration, and had a rapid flash while braking (faster than the LucidBrake's emergency brake function). It's nice that the LucidBrake can easily be mounted to a helmet. It looks like doing so with the MAXXON would be rather difficult. I also have my doubts about the brightness of these things. The LucidBrake had some clips that shows it in busy environments, and I couldn't locate the light quickly enough. The MAXXON vid shows pretty dark environments, so it's hard to tell how it might drown out in city lights, but I suspect it would be very similar. Something with a rechargeable battery and a 5W LED for true daylight visibility would go a long way towards being an effective option.

Sanath, if you came up with something that was better than these options, I'd definitely like one, and I'd be willing to toss some money your way for the work you put into it, too.

mtbr member
    The Maxxon is interesting.

An interesting 5 w 100 lumen Red LED on a star (Santa has a few ordered):

Cutter Electronics

I was going to replace the old Luxeon reds in my taillights with these and a new driver.

mtbr member
    The brakelights are definitely a better idea than the public speedometer, but I still wouldn't spend money on one. Of all possible collisions, getting hit while stopping is one that I'm not very worried about. It'll either be low speed (which I bet doesn't actually happen) or someone who's not paying attention at all and so a brakelight wouldn't be any more use than a boring old accelerometerless light.

Itís like the handsignal for Stop - occasionally I see other riders doing it, but it's really pretty useless when you're on a bike.

mtbr member
    ^^ Helps if you are in a group of cyclists and one is suddenly slowing, but I agree. When a police officer does not understand the left turn signal which I thought was intuitively obvious for any driver who could pass the written part of the driver's test. So the arm down stop or up for right turn is not going to be understood assuming it is seen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rather than a speed indicator or brake light, how about sequenced LEDs running down the sleeve of your jacket hooked to a angle sensitive switch (in the old days we'd just use a mercury switch) so that when you raise your arm to turn left the car behind you sees lights flashing left?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ...so that when you raise your arm to turn left the car behind you sees lights flashing left?
    My main winter gloves are cheap snowboard gloves, and they have reflective piping and detailing on them. I don't know why snowboard gloves need to be reflective, and it's nothing amazing, but it should show up reasonably well when I signal. Meanwhile, none of my cycling gloves have a single reflective stitch, and I don't know that I've ever seen a reflective cycling glove.

They do exist: Amazon.com: Reflective Biker Gloves by suckUK: Sports & Outdoors

Having actual signal lights would be really nice, but I'd just be happy if manufacturers would actually bother to make all cycling gear reflective.

Great idea. I may have to buy some reflective material and make my own "pointers" to add to my current gloves.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Of all possible collisions, getting hit while stopping is one that I'm not very worried about. or someone who's not paying attention at all
    I acutally have this very concern...

The 10 ave bike lane goes down the right side of the street...the cars stay to the left except when they wabt to turn right at an intersection...then they are allowed into the right lane (combo bike and car at this point).

I pedal hard up to the lights (doing intervals) then hammer on the brakes if I miss the light.

My bike stops way faster then any car, and just a momnets inattention on a driver intending to turn right will cause a rather pinful rear-end incident...

Pretty sure the light isn't gonna help much cause this is basically a summer thing...

but it is a real concern.

mtbr member
    ^ I do the same thing but I wouldn't expect a light to save me. Like you said, if I slam on my brakes I stop. A driver would hit me long before they'd noticed the light. A predictive or earlywarning light (like coasting in a car with the brakes lightly pressed) might be helpful, but I don't know how you send that sort of clear and unambiguous message using accelerometers and a blinkie.