mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New question here. Diamondback Overdrive as a commuting bike.

It looks like I will be getting the Diamondback Overdrive Comp later this month because as of today, I have not found another bike for the price and with the components I would like to have. Plus the trails near the house are not that difficult and from what I have read and discussed with others, this particular bike should be just fine for those locations.

I am wondering if anyone else out there uses one of the overdrive bikes as a commuter bicycle? If so, how does it hold up and how is the overall ride?

I figured commuting will be a great way to get in some cardio and drop a few LB's.....because being a behemoth is getting hard on the knees....

weirdo
    Overdrive? Aw, heck no! Worst bike to roll off the assembly line since the Stumpjumper!

Just kidding! It looks like a front suspension 29er- should be plenty versatile, probably a good bike for you if you want to use it for both trails and commuting
    So, are you getting a new one or is that a local used find? Have to order and wait, or will you be able to pick it up right away and go play? Is it going to be your first mtb? Hope you enjoy it, and be sure to come back with some pics when you get your hot little hands on it!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about the bike, but you can definitely lose some pounds and strengthen your knees, heart, etc. by commuting if you make it a habit. If you get sore at first, you can take off a day or two, but get back at it, as you will get stronger quickly, and your "seat" will also get in shape and not be bothered by more frequent rides.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    ^^^^^ Great advice on the "seat" by mtbxplorer. I've been riding so long that I forget that it will take some time for your bottom to get used to sitting on a bike seat. Give it some time and it will be normal for it to hurt.

The most important thing is to keep it up and come up with a regular schedule. Heck you may even find yourself out on the weekends or taking extra rides in the evening after work.

Definitely show us some pictures when you pick it up and come here for advice.

Keep safe and have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Overdrive? Aw, heck no! Worst bike to roll off the assembly line since the Stumpjumper!

Just kidding! It looks like a front suspension 29er- should be plenty versatile, probably a good bike for you if you want to use it for both trails and commuting
    So, are you getting a new one or is that a local used find? Have to order and wait, or will you be able to pick it up right away and go play? Is it going to be your first mtb? Hope you enjoy it, and be sure to come back with some pics when you get your hot little hands on it!
    I will be getting a new DB which they have at the bike shop. Funny how everyone said I should get the XL size but once I stood over the bike, the large was perfect. My commute one way will be 12 miles or seven miles to the train and get dropped off a block away from work or vice-versa. So it appears I have a few options for now. This will be my first bike since I gave up riding my Klein (I am dating myself now....), but I am looking forward to getting it and seeing if I still have the desire to get to my fighting weight.

mtbr member
    The fork has a lockout, which can be very handy for commuting. And the tires should be pretty fast-rolling, while still being able to handle dirt. So it looks like a good choice.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I did a mountain bike as my One Bike for a while. At the end of the day, a bike is a bike, and pressing a mountain bike into commute service is really no big deal while pressing a road bike into trails service is a pretty awkward fit.

Try to get some saddle time on the bikes. Buy the one that feels right. If you're concerned about standover clearance, a 26" bike might be another option.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    This will be my first bike since I gave up riding my Klein (I am dating myself now....), but I am looking forward to getting it and seeing if I still have the desire to get to my fighting weight.
    Is the Klein gone?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Is the Klein gone?
    Yes my beloved Klein is gone......

My house boss told me I had to give my first love one to get another....besides, when I finally did jump on it, I was darn near 295lbs and those thin tire were just screaming for mercy.

So when I finally dropped down to 255lbs, I had already changed my mindset on getting a bike with fat tires and I started looking at mountain bikes. Also, It will be nice to ride across various terrains and not be so concerned my tires holding up.

weirdo
    Sorry for your loss- how sad. Well, a hardtail is a good choice for a single bike guy, you can make it work. Good job on dumping 40 pounds!
    Recalculating....