mtbr member

A decent blinky that wont break off when you roll over a pot-hole.

My PlanetBike SuperFLash extreme popped off when i rode over some rail-road tracks. When i returned it was in a hundred pieces (car). I suppose i should have reinforced it with a rubber band because the weight of the batteries helped pull it apart. i wont be buying another PB SF until the manufacturer changes the design, which is long overdue.

So....has anyone found a blinky that will stay attached to the bike over rough terrain? I prefer rack mounts but im open to suggestions. THANKS!

mtbr member
    Any reason you can't mount your blinky to the seatpost? Moving the light away from the rear (towards the center) will reduce the vertical travel, like being at the fulcrum of a seesaw.

Did you also have a price range in mind? And could you please provide a little more detail on route and bike?

I've used a cheap, seatpost mounted CatEye over trails and pothole-riddled Midwestern (US) roads without incident. Usually on a rigid mtb with 2.125" knobbies or 1.5" slicks.

I like the PB rear blinky's, though, since they're just a bit brighter.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Try one of these:

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/radbot-1000

Cheaper elsewhere. It screws together so no separation. The copper contacts may need to be recurved so it doesn't shut itself off over railroad tracks. Once that adjustment was made both of mine have been reliable as heck. Sorry about the PB light as I lost a Swerve the same way with the good NiMHs.

Back in the Saddle Again

I have the Topeak Aura and this mounts like a convectional reflector, screw on and I have yet to have it come off. Mount it with a standard reflector mount and you'd be good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinchi View Post
    Any reason you can't mount your blinky to the seatpost? Moving the light away from the rear (towards the center) will reduce the vertical travel, like being at the fulcrum of a seesaw.
    Oh i agree, for that reason, its not the best place to mount cheap plastic but i cant do a seatpost mount because i use a trunk-bag that blocks any seatpost mounted blinky.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    RadBot looks like a good option for rack mount since it screws together like you say (less likely for heavy batteries to cause it to pry apart )
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddCelt View Post

I have the Topeak Aura and this mounts like a convectional reflector, screw on and I have yet to have it come off. Mount it with a standard reflector mount and you'd be good to go.
    I really like the flush/low profile (less likely to get pried off when bumping into something going in reverse)...BUT...it uses those tiny lithium watch batteries and thats a deal breaker for me. I like to use rechargable AAA batteries.

thanks awesome ideas. Anyone else?

weirdo
    Not for everybody, but dyno powered lights are very lightweight (the lights themselves) simply because they don`t have any batteries in them, so they don`t "feel" bumps as much. Not having batteries also eliminates the need to design them to be opened, and they generally have more permanent mounting than other head/tail lights. They don`t fall off. The drawbacks are fairly obvious- they require a generator somewhere and a wire run.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that the Radbot 1000 slides into the Planet Bike Rack mount. It has the same hook affair. It is almost as bright as the PB Turbo, too.

Two Radbot 1000s on seat stays and a PBSF on the helmet for comparison:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7591/radbot11.mp4

In case you wanted to see how they work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I like the coin battery type, The one screwed to the carrier is the simplest most bullet proof I've encountered and it's omnidirectional 10 lumens is plenty bright.
    The one plugged in the seat is a Selle ICS, a bit brighter than the Fizik version. I don't do blinking myself and think it's unnecessarily distracting for the sighted and pointless trying for the blind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A decent blinky that wont break off when you roll over a pot-hole.-tailights.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok View Post
    ... i cant do a seatpost mount because i use a trunk-bag that blocks any seatpost mounted blinky.
    Yep, I figured as much.

Could you mount the blinky to a saddle bag or your trunk bag? I had a similar issue when I went to a larger saddle bag and clip on fender--no way to see the blinky.

Luckily, my saddle bag had one of those attachment loops for clip on's. I simply Dremel'd down the mounting clip and zip tied it to the loop. It's very secure and has additional cushion from the soft mounting point.

Joe
    Chicago, IL