Moderator Moderator

DC Bike Lanes - Close Calls and Confusion

I'd rather be on my bike
    I like how he told the driver of that Veloster that what he did was illegal. My patience for stuff like that is nowhere near what this guy has. He was pretty calm.

mtbr member
    Wondered about that pickup truck driver incident posted here some time ago. Nice to learn that the truck driver was convicted, though assault with a deadly weapon might have been more appropriate.

Nice turn signal and checking for bicycle traffic. The bike lane - left turn conflict is not good. But how does anyone think that was a legal left turn when there are't twin left turn lanes? It has been the law here for more than a decade to turn your lights one when your wipers are on (raining). I still see about 25% who don't seem to know that. So some of these infrastructure changes take some time for most to get used to and some are not good at the change thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    It has been the law here for more than a decade to turn your lights one when your wipers are on (raining). I still see about 25% who don't seem to know that. So some of these infrastructure changes take some time for most to get used to and some are not good at the change thing.
    That's a law in IN now? Wasn't the last time I lived here, and I'm pretty sure the percentage is WAY higher (like more than half) of people who don't turn their lights on when it's raining. I lived in other states where that was the law (and enforced) for many years before coming back, so it's automatic for me now. So many morons not using their headlights in their cars here in any situation where it's wise and prudent (and lawfully required) to do so.

The protected bike lane in Indy (on Shelby St.) uses concrete pylons to separate traffic. There are zero mixing zones along that stretch. I rode on it once last winter. Super nice. Design is everything. Some of the mixing zones around here, though, don't make much sense, or they create more problems than they solve. Broad Ripple Ave is one of them. One night I was driving up there, and had an impatient driver pass me on the right in a right turn lane/mixing zone and then complete the pass entirely within the bike lane on the other side of the intersection. So much wrong with that situation that could have easily killed someone.

mtbr member
    ^^ They passed the law in Ohio and Indiana had it in the works and I thought it had passed.

Yeah, we;; I was being kind with my estimates. Seems to vary. I am judging by interstate and 2 lane rural road and it ranges 25-60% depending. I have had to flash my lights at night at black cars with no lights. Ninja Nissans and others.

Indiana: Indiana Code requires lights to be illuminated from sunset to sunrise and any other time when it is impossible to see 500 feet in front of the vehicle. This last requirement, given how fast showers become downpours, makes the use of wipers a great big hint you need to turn on your lights because visibility could soon be an issue.

Ohio specifically made that a requirement in 2000. I have a slate blue colored car that can hide as pavement. So I try to have my lights on all the time. Something I have done since 1973 and a British Racing Green MGB that no one could see.