Moderator Moderator

Dateline Santa Rosa: Why I'm No Longer a Cyclist

NONDURO
    He raised some good points. I sort of don’t commute by bike anymore (I telecommute 4 times a week) but I still go on long-ass rides—getting to and from the trails is the most dangerous part—once on the trails I feel 100% safe.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 03-12-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: duh! typos! I forgot to proofread
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

weirdo
    Hmmm. I`ve been through Santa Rosa a few times. It always seemed mellow to me, and the area is known for its great cycling. All that glitters...

Nice reading for balance.
    Recalculating....

Levi Early
    When I was living in Santa Rosa, I was riding my road bike down in Rohnert Park off Roberts road and had an interesting encounter. I was off the pavement enjoying the view and a ford -250 truck swerved directly at me while I was straddling my bike off the pavement. This was on a straight section, there was no need for this whatsoever. I nearly was clipped by the huge mirror, another couple of inches and........... The driver just wanted to be a dick. This was pretty much my last straw at this point after all the years of riding road. I went home, put the bike on craigslist and sold it promptly. I put the money towards my new ibis at the time. I have always preferred riding offroad anyway and road biking was my go to if I just wanted to get some miles in. I do not regret selling my road bike one bit because last I checked I do not worry about trees driving along illegally, texting or being distracted.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    When I was living in Santa Rosa, I was riding my road bike down in Rohnert Park off Roberts road and had an interesting encounter. I was off the pavement enjoying the view and a ford -250 truck swerved directly at me while I was straddling my bike off the pavement. This was on a straight section, there was no need for this whatsoever. I nearly was clipped by the huge mirror, another couple of inches and........... The driver just wanted to be a dick. This was pretty much my last straw at this point after all the years of riding road. I went home, put the bike on craigslist and sold it promptly. I put the money towards my new ibis at the time. I have always preferred riding offroad anyway and road biking was my go to if I just wanted to get some miles in. I do not regret selling my road bike one bit because last I checked I do not worry about trees driving along illegally, texting or being distracted.
    Plenty of inbred d¡ck rednecks in Santa Rosa. I have family living up north, so I can attest to this. I honestly have no idea where they get their fake redneck accents though, that part is still a mystery to me. When I lived in Chico 20 years ago I was mystified by the “imported redneck accent” thing, and most recently (within the past 5 years) the Santa Rosa implant experience.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I count myself lucky that 95% of my main commute is on a MUP through a nice wooded area. On my commute to the other office I changed my route last year to avoid most busy streets by routing through neighborhood side streets where the speed limit is 25 mph. This helps me avoid many of these dangers pointed out in this article.

I'm not ready to ditch my car, but I feel good riding to work.

mtbr member
    I can relate to some of what he wrote. If I had the drivers I have here at a higher density, it might be too dangerous here, too. As to the left turn incident, I am surprised that he was surprised by the overtaking vehicle. Maybe the editor cut that part out. Maybe they were racing up behind a van in the right lane so unseen until they went left and discovered him, so he did not see it coming. It sounds like he was not paying enough attention to traffic.

As to hand signals, and the left is the most intuitively obvious, a town cop thought my left hand turn signal was asking him to stop! Where do they find these idiots? If he has drivers blowing red lights hard, he can hardly expect them to know or obey hand signals. Sounds like he needed more thought before asserting his right of way. I have been known to pull off and wait or go right and turn around. Better to arrive a bit late than be 'late'! My long distance lights have helped. Apparently, too many drivers don't look far enough down the road for cyclist's safety given the closing speeds. Especially for left turns off 55 mph roads. Helping them avoid the "Oh sh!t!" moment is best for all concerned.

So it takes some planning to avoid problem roads, times, and situations, major attention, and decent visibility. It also takes a lack of dependence on rules of the road, safe drivers, and the right attitude about the whole thing. My attitude needed some adjustment. The editor may have cut out that sort of background, so I can't determine how diligent the author was. I just hope drivers don't take such articles as support to be even less hospitable in order to scare more cyclists off the road.

BrianMc

Born With A Tail
    Dateline Santa Rosa: Bourgeois Vintner Unable to H.T.F.U.
    If it were easy, everybody would be doing it. I don't know this guy or his situation, but I must say that I am a smartass by nature. I read this last week and kept thinking about it and certain things stuck in my mind.
    Firstly and seriously, I see people riding on busy, dangerous streets and highways all the time, when there are safer roads and bikepaths nearby that are just a little out of the way. Secondly, why would he stick his hand out to signal a turn without looking first? Does he now change lanes and turn in his SUV without checking? I wonder how many cyclists he narrowly misses mowing down in his 3,000 pound rig while he's feeling so safe.
    On a less serious but more glib note, here's some soft-handed yuppie who wants to feel more smug about his "reduced carbon footprint" deciding he wants to be a cyclist. He buys all kinds of expensive bikes and gear, (no carbon footprint there?). Then he rides 82 miles and wants to be sure people know about it. He fails to realize that drivers don't notice bikes and expects his bright green R.E.I. vest to be some cloak of invincibility. Now the real cyclists can buy his high-end gear cheap because his experiment failed.
    I think the fact that he started riding because of high gas prices tells us a lot. He did it to safe money, not because he loves to ride. Once he realized it wasn't the dreamland he imagined, he quit and went back to his petrol cocoon.
    I do not want to make light of the people who are injured and killed by cars. I'm a jerk, but not that callous. I think careless, inattentive drivers are a menace and more should be done to facilitate sharing of the roads. But, I think some sissy carrying cases of wine instead of 12 packs of cheap beer and crying about it in the paper should catch some serious heckling.
    I don't know how to imbed videos, but people should look for H.T.F.U. by Chopper on youtube. I bet Stefan the Former Cyclist doesn't even have a moustache.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Yes the complaint of extreme safety concerns rings as an incomplete story with me too. Yes, the deck is stacked. We can only control ourselves. You won't be treated like a motorist. Get over it. An excess of imagination and an overactive fear gene can make cycling too uncomfortable for some.

I had a U-turn to make riding the shoulder of a 55 mph road with heavy traffic. I could park on the shoulder call my wife to come and get me and never ride again. I opted to ride briefly illegally on the left side shoulder as my safest choice, making sure none of the overtaking traffic was turning left into me. What is required in a car versus what is safe on a bike may not be the same thing. Paranoia is a good thing in a cyclist wishing to live a long life. It requires a mirror and a lot of looking behind, ahead, and planning.

Some drivers are idiots. Avoiding running into them or having them run into you is part of cycling well on public roads. The author could not figure it out so cycling is better off without him and anyone else who won't deal with the situation. That doesn't mean the drivers are blameless. You can't ride like you are driving a car. Drivers will not treat you like a car, even though they should. I stop at stop signs in my car. Not on my bike with a too fast/too close car behind and no cross traffic to be concerned about. Legal and safe may not be the same thing on a bike. With more cyclists, drivers get better at being considerate, but texting and DUI drivers will remain challenges for cyclists.

BrianMc

Dateline Santa Rosa: Why I'm No Longer a Cyclist

Who cares what form of alcohol he chose to buy that day?

His point rings true. Bike commuting is not easy. It is not as easy as it should be. Our road network does us no favors when it comes to safety. It takes a strong survival instinct, paranoia, and mistrust of everyone else out there. It shouldn't, but it does. It also takes a concerted effort to know what's legal and enough sense to know what's safe, especially when safe and legal do not match exactly. And not to mention solid bike handling skills.

It also takes many levels of safety gear. No single item is a cure-all. Not all items will be effective for a given situation. But the more you have, the more you hedge your bets on being seen/heard.

This guy's biggest failure is his mentality entering his experiment. Hopefully he tries again with more skepticism and his head on a swivel.

fux
    Scooterist
    I feel for you guys.

I was MTB`ing in Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago. We had to cross the road at one point and rode 200m down it to get back on the trail and a retard of a woman stuck her head out of the car window screeming at us to get the Fcuk off the road. We were riding toataly leagal. Trial on the other hand...err, maybe not so. Over here we can ride where we want within reason off-road.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/