Moderator Moderator

Dateline NYC: Cyclist Guilty of Running 3 Reds $1250 fine

Brooklyn Cyclist Given $1,250 Fine For Single Traffic Stop: Gothamist

I wonder if he will actually stop for lights now.

mtbr member
    Ya gotta love how he whines about the fines(hey that rhymes), and says that it's no big deal if a bike runs a red light. Kinda makes you want to direct his attention to the guy in San Francisco on trial for hitting and killing a pedestrian with his bike.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

his saddle has GOT to be painful

mtbr member
    ^^ I pictured him turning them into yields and crossing if there was no cross traffic. Maybe threading through cars blocking the intersection. Something sort of defensible. The cop likely could not get to him and pull him over until he did it three times. It also sounds like he mouthed off to the cop, though they dropped that charge. A better attitude there may have gotten a single ticket. His attitude in court may have not been to the judge's liking if he took the attitude he expressed in the article. Still, if they generally drop the surcharge when the instances are concurrent, then there is an unequal treatment under the law aspect. If he acted like he was entitled to the special consideration, maybe that is why he did not get it. As to different penalties beacuse bikes cause less damage, while a bicycle-car accident hurts the rider more than car-car collisions at the same speed mess up drivers and passengers, everyone else's schedules are just as messed up. Also drivers avoiding the cyclist can easily hit another car. In NY, NY that is a lot of time and time is definitely money, there. Another red light conviction in 18 months will cost him another $500-1000: Fines and Penalties for Running a Red Light

BrianMc

Brian

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    If you can't do the time, don't do the crime...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I'd have to agree. I had more sympathy when NYC first started cracking down after decades of lax enforcement...but by now, every man, woman, and child must be aware that they are risking pricey tickets if they violate traffic laws. Now he just comes across as one of those "entitled" cyclists we read about.

mtbr member
    The only things missing are the soul patch and skinny jeans.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.