mtbr member

Dateline CA 1897: the bike toll road

mtbr member
    I'd lay odds that if someone built a separate, dedicated bike path direct into major industrial/office parks from the most likely housing areas so more folks could ride to and from work without risking life and limb in the larger metro areas and charged a small toll ($0.50 - $1.00), it would see real use. Then again it might well create the first bike traffic jam.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I'd lay odds that if someone built a separate, dedicated bike path direct into major industrial/office parks from the most likely housing areas so more folks could ride to and from work without risking life and limb in the larger metro areas and charged a small toll ($0.50 - $1.00), it would see real use. Then again it might well create the first bike traffic jam.
    I think that's a bit much really and would deter it's use. It should be according to the cost of the infrastructure; $1 seems way excessive for a bicycle. Profiting isn't inherently wrong but it's necessary to find the sweet spot that will keep people coming, pay for the infrastructure and still keep it within reach of people who are using bicycles out of necessity rather than by choice. The typical bridge tolls around SF is $4 to $6 and in Florida, the Turnpike toll is something like $0.07 per mile.

A 4000lb automobile compared to a 200 bicycle wears the road something like 8000 times more so that is why I consider the $1 fee to be quite steep. At this rate the bike path may as well be free, or they can charge a very small fee, like $0.10 or $0.05 per use and still be ok depending on the number of users though I guess.

mtbr member
    If I knew I could ride to and from work in complete safety from the blue hairs, texters, phone junkies, new drivers, the "Oh my gosh I'm late for _____", the sleepy drivers, and all the other crazies on the road and they ONLY charged me $1.00 each way I'd jump on it.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That is because you can afford it. For some people, $2/day is groceries for them and their family.

Better yet, charge the cars more for road use, since the amount of damage they cause is 3rd or 4th power, and then use that to subsidize the bike path which can be used for free.

mtbr member
    Believe me I'm one of those $2/day groceries folks, but I'm also willing to pay for safety. Maybe I'm developing 'old timers syndrome', but I remember as a kid when police were much harder on drivers' infractions. If driving laws enforcement were stepped up, such a path would be unnecessary. Since neither (enforcement or the bike highway) is gonna happen, it'll just be wishful thinking on my part.